Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Jim,

Congrats! Retirement, new RV...the beginning of a new adventure! I hope you enjoy the ride as much as my DW and I have in the 10 years since my retirement.

Your electrical hookup is a bit worrisome, though. Be very, very, very sure that your electrician correctly wires the connection. There are many who have suffered thousands of dollars of damage to their coach electrical system from a mis-wired electrical connection wired by a well meaning, but poorly informed, electrician.

Take care,
Stu
Like others are saying here…..

“GET AN ELECTRICIAN WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING FOR THE POWER REQUIREMENT OF YOUR MOTORHOME.
NOT ONE THAT JUST THINKS HE KNOWS”
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jim, rather than trying to explain how your outlet should be wired by your electrician, this is an opportunity for you to learn an important skill. It could be very beneficial if you're familiar with how to use a voltmeter.

Here's a description of how you can, with a relatively inexpensive voltmeter, check that any RV 50 amp outlet is properly wired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Amp.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	345720

50-Amp Outlets

So if your RV has a 50-amp, 120/240-volt plug for its power connection, you really have to understand what you’re hooking into and testing is critical.

Take a look at the illustration above. You’ll see a standard 120/240-volt, 50-amp receptacle as found in many campgrounds. Look at the illustration above and you’ll see that the slots are placed like a little baseball diamond. If it’s oriented according to code with the U-shaped ground at the top, then follow along. If you plug your meter probes from Home plate (Neutral) to 1st base (Hot 2) you should read around 120 volts. From 1st base to 2nd base (Ground) you should also read about 120 volts. From second to third base (Hot 1) should read approx 120 volts, and finally from 3rd base back to home you should read approx 120 volts. Now, from home plate to 2nd base you should read close to zero (0 to 2) volts, and from 1st base to 3rd base you should read between 230 and 240 volts.

So as you move your meter probes around the bases, every slot to the next slot should read about 120 volts. As you read sideways across from the left side (Hot 1) to the right side (Hot 2) you should read between 220 and 250 volts. And, as you measure from top (Ground) to bottom (Neutral), you should read close to zero (0 to 2) volts.

If your meter reads anything else, STOP IMMEDIATELY, shut off the circuit breaker and notify the campground electrician. Do not plug in your RV or any other gear as it could be damaged or you could be electrocuted.

There are devices that you can purchase that will protect your RV from a mis-wired outlet and offer surge protection, as well.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-11-2021, 02:26 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on a good looking coach. Enjoy many safe adventures with it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4htz View Post
Unless your electrician just started last week, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts he has installed many 50A outlets but doesn't know it. The NEMA 14-50R used for 50A RVs is the same outlet used for almost every electric range (stove) in the country. Its usually the 30A 120V RV outlet they get wrong and wire it for 240V. This blows up 120V stuff in the RV. (Someone please correct me if I have the wrong designation for the proper 50A outlet.)

Ken
Yes, I think you are absolutely correct. He said something about a stove when we were talking about it.

I was out there tinkering in it today, and just standing there inside of it made me want to hit the road and go somewhere! It's always fun to have a "new toy"!
Jim917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
So as you move your meter probes around the bases, every slot to the next slot should read about 120 volts. As you read sideways across from the left side (Hot 1) to the right side (Hot 2) you should read between 220 and 250 volts. And, as you measure from top (Ground) to bottom (Neutral), you should read close to zero (0 to 2) volts.

Take care,
Stu
Wow, that's really helpful, and crystal clear the way you explained it. Thanks so much!!
Old 10-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim917 View Post
Wow, that's really helpful, and crystal clear the way you explained it. Thanks so much!!
Hi Jim,

Familiarity with a voltmeter can prove to be very beneficial with RV ownership. I have no idea of your degree of familiarity with electrical systems. Over my years of RV ownership and watching the issues that RV owners raise here on iRV2, lack of basic electrical system knowledge regularly manifests. Some of it is well above my level of experience, much is not. Checking the volts on the various legs of your 50amp outlet is a good, relatively easy, introduction.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. There are various threads here on iRV2 of folks who have done hundreds (if not thousands) of $'s of damage to their RV's from mis-wired outlets, many caused by well-meaning electricians not familiar with RV wiring. They mistakenly assume that it's like a welder or dryer. It's not.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Checking the volts on the various legs of your 50amp outlet is a good, relatively easy, introduction.
Thanks. Yes, I should be able to do the voltmeter tests as described, so that's good. However, I'm still trying to figure out how everything works together in the bigger picture. There's the inverter switch, the battery disconnect switch, the shore connection, the generator, etc, etc.

I sometimes find myself scratching my head and poking buttons trying to make the desired thing happen. I really need to get a handle on how all that works! There's a wealth of information out there. I just need to find the time to learn it.

The manual that came with the RV only has limited value. It's written very generally, not specifically for my RV. That's a little frustrating.

There are so many things to figure out and do, and I'm just trying to chip away at the list one by one. Today I'll be trying to get my TPMS set up.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:35 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

The manual that came with the RV only has limited value. It's written very generally, not specifically for my RV. That's a little frustrating.

There are so many things to figure out and do, and I'm just trying to chip away at the list one by one.
Hi Jim,

It's kind of like the old question of how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

RV Owner's Manuals are notorious for being somewhat general, indeed. One approach that has been beneficial for me is to download the .pdf for the Owner's Manual. It's much easier to search than the paper manual. Also, many of the devices installed in your coach that may not be fully explained in the Owner's Manual have available manuals specific to that device. As an example, your inverter almost certainly has its own manual available on the manufacturer's website. That will go into great detail on your particular inverter. There are a variety of internet resources, too. Google "rv electrical systems" and you'll find a wide variety of resources. Certainly, some are of greater value than others.

Also, you'll get lots of help from the iRV2 forums. For things specific to your Fleetwood Fortis 34MB, the Fleetwood Owner's Corner Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/) is a good place to start.

About 10 years before I retired, a co-worker asked what I planned to do in retirement. The conversation went like this:

Him - So, what are you planning to do when you retire?
Me - My wife and I are thinking that we'll buy a big motorhome and drive around the country.
Him - My parents have had a motorhome for years and they love it! [pause] Do you like to "fiddle with stuff"?
Me - What do you mean "fiddle with stuff"?
Him - Oh, there's lots of stuff in a motorhome and something almost always demands some degree of fiddling to make it work the way you want it to.

Take care,
Stu

P.S. If you can figure out how to program your TPMS, I have no doubt you'll be able to master all your RV systems.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #23

Quote:
For things specific to your Fleetwood Fortis 34MB, the Fleetwood Owner's Corner Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/) is a good place to start.
Good call about the owner's corner! I'll check it out. Also, good tips on the manuals. Thanks!

LOL Yes, I think I'll "fiddle with stuff" quite a bit! Sounds like fun, actually.

Made good progress on the TPMS. My Cobalt toad has internal sensors (which work fine from the Cobalt's perspective), but I couldn't get the TST 507 to register them in its learn mode. I wonder if those sensors from 2008 aren't compatible with today's TPMS, or maybe I couldn't get the TPMS module close enough to the sensor for it to find it. Not a big deal, though. It appears (to my surprise) that the Cobalt's valve stems are metal, so I'll get some more flow-through sensors for it. The 6 flow-through sensors I put on the coach seem to be working just fine, although I haven't installed the repeater yet. I need to find a 12V source in an appropriate place. I'll do more "fiddling" tomorrow.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
That's a beautiful coach. I really like the light interior.
Tones of information here but it can be a little scattered.
There are some great websites with good information.
One that comes to mind is Wheelingit.us. You could start here.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how irv2 works. I was hoping to find an area where there might be other owners of a Fortis talking about the coach.
Here you go - a link to the Fleetwood Owner's Forum at IRV2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/
Old 10-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Gorgeous---very Happy For you.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm new here, but it looks like a wonderful place to be!

I recently retired, and last week I bought my very first RV. It's a 2022 Fleetwood Fortis 34MB. Since it's my first one, I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I definitely like it! I studied different models for a few years before I retired. Now I'm ready to start RV life!

We picked it up in Utah, and spent 5 days working our way back through Las Vegas to our home in Phoenix. I've never really been RVing before, but so far I like it! We've been excitedly planning our next trips!

Honestly, I was scared to death of driving it, but so far it's actually not as hard as I thought. I haven't jumped any curbs or hit any tree branches yet. So far, so good!

Our toad is a 2008 Chevy Cobalt, which is light and the towing procedure is quite simple. I bought it in 2019 just for this purpose, after searching for almost 2 years to find one with low miles and all the right features.

I'm still trying to figure out how irv2 works. I was hoping to find an area where there might be other owners of a Fortis talking about the coach. I could probably learn a lot from those threads! I'll keep poking around here and see what I can find...
That is a beautiful rig. Congratulations on your retirement and your first RV. Happy trails!
Old 10-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #28

New Rig

Congratulations!!

Nice looking rig.

Check the Fleetwood Site and sign up for their Owners Group. You learn sooo much good stuff from other owners at these rallies.

My .02 - the fancier places are MUCH easier to get in and out of. (at least until you are comfortable) Our first year with our first MH was one knuckle biter after another.

Do not trust your Iphone for your GPS. I'm convinced there are Gremlins, Tribbles (from Star Trek) and termites inside the program designed to put you on every non paved, weight limit, high crime, riot in progress streets.

If you run into us, all my knowledge (should take about 20 seconds) can be traded for one cold beverage!

Safe travels.
dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote