Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking Good man,
I really like it and the laundry area, Genius
Still have a lot of open space. What are you going to park in there?
Thanks for sharing,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #30

Thank you. This really cool. The very most interesting people post on irv2.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Hello guys,

The plumbing was already there to a large stainless sink used for the original owner's classes. I took that out and installed the washer/dryer. The hot/cold is tapped off the shower faucet on the opposite side and the drain goes to the grey water tank thru the floor under the closet/drawers. The wood box on top of the W & D stores the electric jacks I use to lift the ramp while bringing the helo up to keep the tailboom from hitting the ceiling.

The bed frame I cut and welded together from 1" square tube, laid plywood on, etc. The full size queen mattress is an 8" dense foam. The frame is extended from the wall enough to accomodate the window valance when folded up.

Besides the helicopter, I have a Samurai that fits nicely inside. When not doing helicopter shows, the plan is to have Samurai inside and tow fishing boat behind! The Samurai tows the fishing boat nicely.

I also Have a Jeep ('08). It would be nice to take it inside as suggested, but it is much to large...and heavy. The Samurai is just shy of 12' and 2200 lbs. the Jeep weighs double that and would need at least a 16 ft garage! The Samurai pushes the ramp and garage limits...rear axle too. In fact, when I am through with mods, I plan on weighing. I suspect that even with weight being a little less than original factory delivered weight, I will need to carry less than full water to keep rear axle in limits. (based on weights I recall listed in "Vicaps" weigh in about a year ago). But lol...I had to carry less water sometimes in my old motor home too. Manufacturers just don't get it! You can't have too much power or weight capability . That's especially true for aircraft

Thanks,

Mike
rwex3808mvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe the RV makers get it. There is an adage used in the HotRod community...holds true for most everything from RV's to aircraft:
"Speed Cost Money Kid, the question is how fast do you want to go?"

There are Class 7/8 Cab/Chassis Super "C" RV's with names like Renegade, Showhauler, and Powerhouse Coach that can give you big garages, king sized beds, mega HP and 80,000lbGVWR.

Just gotta open your wallet to the idea.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When I open my wallet very seldom the moths fly out...
JS,
Tim
Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I am SSooooooo very jealous.

I have the fixed wing license and always wanted rotary......never could afford it though.

Very nice set up.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Yep...you are right, however, that takes several times more $ than I have. The desire for a helicopter to continue flying as I did in my career, meant I had to build it myself! So too, am I having to do the same thing to get what I want in a toyhauler!

The 09/10 Damon 3808 FRED on the Freightliner chasis seemed to be the most affordable and capable of the bunch that I was considering as a basis for these mods.

I accuse multiple entities of having placed a wallet cam in my billfold...since everytime it gets a few bucks, there's something that needs it! LOL!

The light is shining at the end of that tunnel, though. I calculate that about $2,000 more of goodies (upgraded tvs, slide and garage awnings, driver's chair recover (an animal got to it from the previous owner), screen for garage door). The DIY building projects will be done with the blade rack. Next big expense...around May...new rear tires. (They will be timed out)

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #36

Mike that is an awesome adaptation of your OTL, congrats. The versatility of these rigs is limited only by imagination. What is the weight of the helo? Is it just a one seater?

Can you use the air mattress couch/bed in the salon while travelling if you can't unload the helo? With the helo in place, can you get into the garage from the salon? Those windows that are normally in the loft look kind of out of place in the garage, I'd prolly get some different window treatments for those. I'm in the PHX area, send me a pm and I'll see about getting my wife to sew you some curtains with a helicopter theme!

I agree with Mekanic, a tag axle chassis should be the next innovation for Thor in the OTL class. Get that garage area another 8 ft longer. With the tag axle the weight limits and length would be very impressive.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK...at the risk of looking like a stalker...

I already started hashing over the idea of adding a tag. My idea was to make it a driven axle with a direct drive electric motor. Target was to add about 100HP and hybrid drive. But it could be as simple as a solid beam on leaf springs or air bags and a 4 link. Just needs to be able to have pivoting hubs to prevent scrubbing the tires in tight turns.

Thought it would look something like this (w/ wheel skirts on the tag in this case):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tandem1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	82709

Original photo credit to another iRV2 member
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Hi Jeff,

The helo weighs in at 1,000 lbs...it is not going to impact Gross weight much. Its when I want to take my Samurai, fishing boat etc all at once that would push any limits. It is a two seater capable of lifting 500 lbs fuel & pasengers.

As mentioned in my previous post about power...I wanted more, so the helo has been sporting a turbo for 3 years now to deal with high density altitudes here in the summer as well as a couple of my fly in stops.

Yes, I planned on using the fold out air bed when in transit with the helo or Samurai inside. The other problem will be bath access. I will be taking the hinge pins off the door and stow it in transit since it cant be opened with the boom there. also I will have to crawl under the boom to get into the bath. LOL, win some lose some! At least the boom will be more to the driver's side and I will be able to access the fridge etc.

The helo curtain idea is intriguing. The original owner had all garage window treatments/coverings taken off...I put those back on from the material I received. I was going to get some mini blinds for the lower windows...never been a fan of those day/night shades because they block air flow when windows are open!

Just got the blade racks installed, so its time later this week to load up the helo & blades and do a test drive up I-17 for 40 or 50 miles!

Thank you'

Mike
Old 01-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Hi Steve,

Any idea of the increase of weight capability. Increasing the garage by 10' would make for quite a long rig!? As I mentioned before, a newer 2007 onward jeep weighs in at 4400 lbs...

Another thing I noticed while reading literature on garage weight is weight in the rest of the coach. Apparently it would be possible to have so much in the rear (and still be within weight limit) that the front steering could become somewhat erratic.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Personal I like the side skirts. But a blowout would be, oboy $$$
Could you add a turning tag? But then no side skirts.
Tim
Old 01-06-2015, 07:22 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
A new twist on toyhauler....Congrats....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwex3808mvr View Post
Hi Steve,

Any idea of the increase of weight capability. Increasing the garage by 10' would make for quite a long rig!? As I mentioned before, a newer 2007 onward jeep weighs in at 4400 lbs...

Another thing I noticed while reading literature on garage weight is weight in the rest of the coach. Apparently it would be possible to have so much in the rear (and still be within weight limit) that the front steering could become somewhat erratic.

Thanks,

Mike
The weight capacity added by a tag should be about equal to the capacity of the axle added...adding to GVWR - not GCWR. GCWR is limited by the engine and driveline.

A simple/typical I beam from a trailer equipment maker would/could add 3,500lb-7,500 depending on the axle selected.

And a tag would off-set any lift from a loaded rearend that could lighten the front end and impact steering.

The tag "can" have pivot steering hubs - but that is not a requirement. Big rigs and dual axle Travel Trailers don't have steering rears. The rears just get scrubbed around sideways when making very tight turns. It is a trade-off for the increased weight capacity.

The fine details would be in modifying the bin space where the tires go...includes moving stuff around in the electrical service bin on the drivers side. I would pick to run standard pick-up or trailer sized tires vs. the big OEM 22's to avoid having to modify the (lower) garage floor with wheel wells.

I was never thinking about adding to the length of the body, but that is not out of the question. The issue there is that increases the rear overhang which increases that swing when maneuvering. Plus the chassis frame on the Outlaw behind the rear axle is not the original channel. The lower garage floor is created by removing the OEM frame behind the axle and adding new/lower/smaller beams for the rear 10' of the chassis.

Like I said...just was thinking
Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
purchase