Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Congrats on the new coach! Looks like a beauty. Is it for casual camping, full timing or how will you use it?

We just bought one in Canada too. Sort of surprised not to see more people posting the same. We got $1.38 for our US dollar which allowed us to get more coach than we thought we would. I agree the 450ISM is great. I test drove first time without wife and told her how it effortlessly went down the highway at 70 and seemed like 30. I don't think she believed me until she went out on the 2nd road test. It really did seem like we were barely doing 30 and were actually going just over 70. The 2 stage jake brake is pretty sweet too. Assume you have the 4000 Allison as well.

Enjoy!
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Congrats on the new coach! Looks like a beauty. Is it for casual camping, full timing or how will you use it?

We just bought one in Canada too. Sort of surprised not to see more people posting the same. We got $1.38 for our US dollar which allowed us to get more coach than we thought we would. I agree the 450ISM is great. I test drove first time without wife and told her how it effortlessly went down the highway at 70 and seemed like 30. I don't think she believed me until she went out on the 2nd road test. It really did seem like we were barely doing 30 and were actually going just over 70. The 2 stage jake brake is pretty sweet too. Assume you have the 4000 Allison as well.

Enjoy!
Was there an import duty tax when you brought it into the United States?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post

Enjoy!
We plan on casual at first. But even before that I will make some solo trips as I'm retired & the wife will not retire for another 18-24 months. After that we will start the casual camping. I'm not sure we are even of the mind to go full time. We had thought about it at first. But we saw the future issue of what to do when we can't haul our butts in the coach due to health. We are able to have a comfortable retirement, But we are not wealthy enough people to buy a house to pass in. So we might as well keep the one we have. But of course we reserve the right to change our minds.

That 450 ISM is a hot rod isn't it? I have the 4060R trans so I have a retarder instead of a jake brake.

How was the border crossing? I take it that it went ok or you would have perhaps given me the verbal finger for saying it was so easy.

Be sure and post up some pictures when you get the chance.
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If the coach was made in the USA no duties would be required. That is what the customs agent told me and nothing is what I paid.

In fact, When I bought my made in Canada car trailer for the Caterham a couple of months prior to importing my coach. No duties were required because of the fact that the purchase was for personal use & we have a best buddies agreement with Canada. Washington state even gave me credit against Wa. sales tax for the GST/HST tax I paid in Canada. I was pleasantly shocked at that.
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
If the coach was made in the USA no duties would be required. That is what the customs agent told me and nothing is what I paid.

In fact, When I bought my made in Canada car trailer for the Caterham a couple of months prior to importing my coach. No duties were required because of the fact that the purchase was for personal use & we have a best buddies agreement with Canada. Washington state even gave me credit against Wa. sales tax for the GST/HST tax I paid in Canada. I was pleasantly shocked at that.
Wow, that's a pretty good deal.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #20

Very nice condition
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
re-importing a vehicle previously exported from USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
No. It's a US made coach to being with. See the section on re-importing a previously exported vehicle here.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by super7pilot View Post
How was the border crossing? I take it that it went ok or you would have perhaps given me the verbal finger for saying it was so easy.

Be sure and post up some pictures when you get the chance.
We've spoken with the CBP on the way through and have the original certificate of origin and bill of sale (originally sold in California then exported). We just need to show those and complete the HS7 form to cross. But the dealer is providing heated storage so we won't bring it home till May.

As far as pics, I post a bunch here in Newmar forum as well as a few in the new rig show off thread too.

Enjoy your beautiful new coach!!