Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ICBC answer is 5 seconds for driving or towing an RV. People always cut right in front of you after they pass, sucks in heavy trafic. I too rather have them in front where I can keep an eye on them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #16

I remember the 1 for 10. Don't know why, or where.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #17

Triple E Owners Club
2 sec's for cars with 4 or more in rain or poor visibility. Trucks and RV's 4+ sec's is good with more the gooder. But remember you are just trying to stop before hitting the moving veh in front of you. Your distance needs to account for your reaction time and the stopping distance of that veh, esp if it is blocking your view of possible reasons for a sudden stop or slow down.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
not only is my rear view camera always on, with the sound on too. my mirrors have a top hat convex mirror, when someone is passing i have them in sight from behind the coach and when they leave the camera view i pick them up in the mirrors and they are in sight til passed. I also use a lane marker placed at eye level (simple, just a square of blue painters tape). when the left tape is on the center line the coach has room on both sides. I also use a right line marker as well for those construction zone areas and tight spots.
The only driving courses I have taken were all army couses for 2 1/2 ton to 10 ton trucks and tank driving courses (talk about driving nearly blind), but they help me out here.
Question Jimmy: Where do you place the tape? Thx Larry
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
Question Jimmy: Where do you place the tape? Thx Larry
While you wait for Jimmy to answer you might want to take a look at these 7 short driving video's they will tell you how to mark the centerline, adjust you mirrors and where to place the dot (tape).

http://www.betterrving.com/Article/R...usting_Mirrors
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
While you wait for Jimmy to answer you might want to take a look at these 7 short driving video's they will tell you how to mark the centerline, adjust you mirrors and where to place the dot (tape).

RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing
Excellent set of teaching videos.

Until we watched them, I did not realize just how far in FRONT of the RV I was blind. 20 foot blind spot from the driver's seat- you could hide a small car in front of our Class A.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #21

Question: How's that blue painters tape "lane marker" put on your mirror?

I like that idea, especially for the right side during construction areas and narrow bridges.
rhouse1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #22

Talking Driving Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing
Thank you sdennislee....those were very helpful. I went through each video and wrote down notes. I will be picking up the rig tomorrow and will have to drive her on the 5 frwy to get to where we want to park it for a week. So I will be have to be extra careful and using ALL this great input. Thx again.
Larry
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
Thank you sdennislee....those were very helpful. I went through each video and wrote down notes. I will be picking up the rig tomorrow and will have to drive her on the 5 frwy to get to where we want to park it for a week. So I will be have to be extra careful and using ALL this great input. Thx again.
Larry
Glad it helped. Have fun in the new rig
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #24

The bottom line is to only drive at the speed which you feel safe and comfortable with and for the conditions. That includes weather and traffic.
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
I also use a lane marker placed at eye level (simple, just a square of blue painters tape). when the left tape is on the center line the coach has room on both sides..
I just took a broad black felt marker and marked right on the glass. Do need to redo it as it's blocked from sight now that I have netbook on the dash running my VMSpc.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
2 sec's for cars with 4 or more in rain or poor visibility. Trucks and RV's 4+ sec's is good with more the gooder. But remember you are just trying to stop before hitting the moving veh in front of you. Your distance needs to account for your reaction time and the stopping distance of that veh, esp if it is blocking your view of possible reasons for a sudden stop or slow down.
If you try leaving that much difference here you'll find two cars pulling over in front of you. If you keep backing off everytime you might as well get off the freeway and park it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
They have changed it to Three seconds now for a car/truck, I agree a MH should be much more time (7-10) for stopping. But like the last post they just keep pulling in front of you and you have to keep backing off. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
We just took the classroom Driver's Confidence Course at Lazydays and just sitting there I learned a lot!
theCOMVEE is offline   Reply With Quote