Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RV Driving Course- Driving Like a Pro & 5TH & TT's

RV DRIVING SKILLS

BACKING 5TH WHEEL & TRAVEL TRAILER

THE USE OF YOUR PAC BRAKE, or Jake brake.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPER PSI IN YOUR TIRES
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I highly recommend a driving course - for experienced a well as newbie drivers. I took an abbreviated, hands-on one at the FMHA rally last summer. I learned SO much. Although I've driven every RV we've owned (SUV+TT, HD truck+5-r & now MH+toad), I never felt comfortable doing so - I was a white knuckle driver the entire time. After taking the course, I'm much more confident & assured in my driving. Sure, I still have those scary moments (i.e. construction zones, close quarters at campgrounds), but I'm better able to handle those situations after taking the class.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think they should have stressed that we should check all mirrors about every 10 seconds so we are always aware of other vehicles coming up behind us, that way we know if someone is in our blind spot.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rear view monitor is under my TV where your rear view mirror would be mounted, very convenient also has sound of passing vehicles from monitor.
Monitor is always on while driving.
Max makes a very good point in checking your mirrors every 10 seconds, thats what I would instruct new drivers, keeps you alert to your surroundings.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I just got back from Tampa with our new Phaeton. Took the RV driving course there and it was great. It really helped bringing it home and understanding how to turn, back etc. Highly recommend it.
SW4UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Does anyone know of a training course for 5th wheels? There is a world of difference between the old pop-up and the new 5er.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #7

driving

something the company i work for stresses highly and works great is 15-7 look 15 seconds down the road in front of you and keep 7 seconds away from vehicles in front of you .
as a newbie rver it has made life much less exciting getting used to my coach .
best wishes frank,cricket and harley the dog
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwf16129 View Post
something the company i work for stresses highly and works great is 15-7 look 15 seconds down the road in front of you and keep 7 seconds away from vehicles in front of you .
as a newbie rver it has made life much less exciting getting used to my coach .
best wishes frank,cricket and harley the dog
At 60 mph (88 fps) seven seconds works out to 616 feet. That's over 1/10th of a mile. I doubt that anyone, including any of your company drivers, actually maintain that much distance.

The rule I have heard for years is two seconds.

-- Loren
Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #9

Is there not an insurance discount for taking the course, or is it only for certain companys?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
not only is my rear view camera always on, with the sound on too. my mirrors have a top hat convex mirror, when someone is passing i have them in sight from behind the coach and when they leave the camera view i pick them up in the mirrors and they are in sight til passed. I also use a lane marker placed at eye level (simple, just a square of blue painters tape). when the left tape is on the center line the coach has room on both sides. I also use a right line marker as well for those construction zone areas and tight spots.
The only driving courses I have taken were all army couses for 2 1/2 ton to 10 ton trucks and tank driving courses (talk about driving nearly blind), but they help me out here.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
At 60 mph (88 fps) seven seconds works out to 616 feet. That's over 1/10th of a mile. I doubt that anyone, including any of your company drivers, actually maintain that much distance.

The rule I have heard for years is two seconds.

-- Loren
Two seconds was taught for automobiles, not tractor-trailers or fully-loaded RVs, especially when towing. Tractor-Trailer drivers are taught to allow 1 second for every 10 miles per hour. Following that guideline is up to the individual, but what I would suggest for anyone to do, is go out in your representative vehicle, on a clear, open, dry road and get up to road speed. As you pass a sign or other signifigant marker, hit the brakes and stay on them til you stop.
Pull off, and walk the distance back to the marker you hit the brakes at; that's the minimum distance you should be keeping, and for every 10 mph you travel over your test speed, increase your distance, because stopping will take even longer.
Do not take my word for this; try it yourself.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I try the 7 second rule, unfortunately those that pass me then cut back in 1 or 2 car lengths ahead of me make it impossible to maintain. Once I have my laser cannon installed it will be much easier to maintain.

2 seconds is no where near enough to stop 33,000 pounds of motorhome ding 60 mph. Not even on dry pavement.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know what you mean about them 'Jumping in there!'
Unfortunately, we have to drive for the idiots, too. Forgive my lack of political correctness, but I'd still have the idiots ahead of me where I can keep an eye on 'em, .
Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I took a class a couple of years ago and really wish I had taken it years ago. It was definitely worth it and I highly recommend it for women who have not gotten behind the wheel yet. Taking a private one is much better than taking a condensed version at a ralley.
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote