Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
One of the reason some of the parks have this rule is that in recent years there's been an increasing problem of homeless with RV's (and these are generally older RV's) getting sites on a monthly basis and only paying for the first month. It then takes the campground months of legal hassle getting these RV'rs evicted and losing months of rent on the site in the process.

That could be.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #16

They sometimes prevent units over ten years old to protect from the drug runners/makers. It appears that on occasion, the drug crowd will purchase an older RV for small money and then move to a campground and begin production, staying one step ahead of the law. As I understand it, they will not pay big money for a newer RV as they may have to abandon it in a hurry. I am not saying that all owners of RVs over ten years old are drug runners or makers. I have one over ten years old myself. It is just one of the reasons campgrounds may have this rule. It is also true it may just be due to snob appeal.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #17

We've stayed at a couple "10 year max" parks and never had a problem. And our coach is not perfect. We currently are at a park with a "40 lb. dog max" rule. Our dog weighs 90 lbs. He's a popular guy here. Go figure.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #18

If I owned a campground I would be aware enough to know if someone was cooking meth in a camper. This I would not allow and the law I called would agree with me.
That being said I have a really nice 13 year old MH which presents itself well. I am not going to lie about the age to satisfy someone's rules. I could probably buy and sell a lot of those campgrounds but that is my business and not theirs.
Don't want my grandchildren there? Kiss my lower end. Family camping is where I have always been.
If some idiot owner got stuck with several months unpaid rent that is his or hers fault. Maybe they should get off their fat butt and see what is happening in their facility. Some folks would rather sit back and count their money than get out and manage their business.
Lynn
Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The renter laws protect the squatters rights not the bottom lone of the park. As the assistant manager of a very nice California park, I assure you the 10 year discretionary rule is due to older rv squatters. Don't blame the parks, blame the squatters. Rv parks are a business. We will accept any rig that shows pride of ownership. Calif law requires a rental contract for more than 29 days in an rv space. Nothing protects the park except discretion...

As to the rv repair guy who wont work on rvs older then 10 yrs...ABSOLUTLY stupid business plan. JMHO
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We made reservations at a campground in Az for the winter that has a 10 year rule. I sent them a picture of my 33 year old MH and they came back asking what date will we arrive.
It must have something to do with Wax,Wax and a little more Wax.

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:00 AM   #21

[QUOTE=deandec

We even have a Mobile RV repair guy in our community who publishes in his advertising that he will not work on RV's older than 10 years.[/QUOTE]

This is a first for me to hear of such a tech that would turn down so much business. Maybe his mommy took his teddy bear away from him at 10.....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
10 Year Old Coach Rule (Bunch of BS)

The parks I stay at usually cost $15 or less per night, with my senior pass.... They don't have any restrictions on the age of my coach (even though I recently upgraded to a new coach)... Even with my older coach, it would have never been a problem with how old my coach was, because I would not stay at those parks anyway, with all the other choices out there.

Ted & Kathleen
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We made reservations at a campground in Az for the winter that has a 10 year rule. I sent them a picture of my 33 year old MH and they came back asking what date will we arrive.
It must have something to do with Wax,Wax and a little more Wax.

Tim
A very well maintained classic coach such as yours will be welcomed at most campgrounds. A leaking rust bucket with missing pieces and parts, not so much.

As others posted, call the park and let them know what you have, send pictures if requested.

Private parks have the right and obligation to control who enters their park. No different than HOA's setting rules for yard maintenance, cars parked in front yards, minimum sq footage, color schemes, and so on. I choose not to live in a HOA controlled community just as I choose to stay mostly at state parks and KOA's.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Few things in life are certain, but a few would include death, taxes and the fact that someone will start another new thread on the "10 year rule" not long after the last one has faded from memory.

In truth, there are very few (percentage wise) parks that apply that rule, especially as it relates to transients or short term renters. Secondly, there are few of those parks that have the rule on the books that will deny entry to a well maintained RV. This gives them the flexibility to deny a site to that rig we've all seen, at one place or another, that is held together with bailing wire, duct tape and has accumulated a nice patina of rust, algae mold and mildew. You don't have to be rich to take care of your property and if you don't care about your own property, how will you treat someone else's?

Bottom line, I wouldn't loose any sleep over this. If there is a particular park you'd really like to stay at that has that rule, send them a photo of your well maintained rig and ask if you wouldn't qualify for an exception.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #25

Only restrictions I have ever seen are 55+, no pets/certain pets, and RV length. Never age - but once I did see something regarding "good condition".
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #26

I have only had positive remarks when I pull in with my 1977 coach. Then again, I only stay for 2 or 3 days at a time so they are probably not worried about me moving in permanently.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Few things in life are certain, but a few would include death, taxes and the fact that someone will start another new thread on the "10 year rule" not long after the last one has faded from memory.

In truth, there are very few (percentage wise) parks that apply that rule, especially as it relates to transients or short term renters. Secondly, there are few of those parks that have the rule on the books that will deny entry to a well maintained RV. This gives them the flexibility to deny a site to that rig we've all seen, at one place or another, that is held together with bailing wire, duct tape and has accumulated a nice patina of rust, algae mold and mildew. You don't have to be rich to take care of your property and if you don't care about your own property, how will you treat someone else's?

Bottom line, I wouldn't loose any sleep over this. If there is a particular park you'd really like to stay at that has that rule, send them a photo of your well maintained rig and ask if you wouldn't qualify for an exception.
I agree! My RV is 17 years old, all paid for, and the question of age (of the RV) has never come up when I choose a campground.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
I see a whole lot of these larger campground with the 10 year old coach rule.(No COACHES ALLOWED OVER 10 YEARS OLD).I see a lot of motorhomes on here that are a lot older than 10 years old and they still look brand new,Over the last 15 or so years the body style hasn't changed that much,the main thing that has changed is the colors and the graphics,and yes I will be the first to say they do look a lot nicer.
So is it the campground that don't want us in there or the people with the high end coach don't want to be parked beside a 15 year old ugly coach.
Not all old 15 year old coaches are ugly... however the rates at "elitist RV parks" are way above my pay grade.

Mel
'96 Safari, (currently at a beautiful $12 a night, $6 with my "old guy" card, COE park in Misssissippi).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote