Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #1

110 Volt Electrical Problem

The last time we used our trailer I noticed the clock on the microwave and the coffee maker kept resetting. Like you would see if there was a power outage. We left for the day and when we returned there was no power to the trailer. I checked the power connection outside the trailer and determined that I had power to the post but again no 110 volt AC in the trailer. In order to get a technician out to the location is costly and since the trailer isn't towed anywhere hiring someone to tow it somewhere for repair just as costly. So I am trying to trouble shoot as much as I can.

My question is this: Would a faulty converter cause 110 volt AC power problems? If I ever find the location of the converter I can probably change it myself. I have had two schools of thought on the converter being the problem so as you can see I need more input. The lesser of all evils is changing out the converter but I don't want to do that unless it is at least a possibility.

Thanks All in Advance.... John
jad742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Sounds to me like a loose connection. I would unplug and check all the connections behind your panel first. Then you can trouble shoot if the problem is still there. My thoughts if it happened to me.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #3

No, " The converter " converts 120 volts to 12 volts for lights, water pump, heater fan, ....

The microwave is strictly 120 volts along with the air conditioner. The converter has nothing to do with them.

First check is the plug on the shore cord. If it can be opened, take a look inside for loose wires. If that good or a molded plug that don't open move on down the wire.

If your trailer has a cord socket built into the out side wall, there are times when the wires behind it get loose.

You may need to pull the receptcal out of the side to see if the wire connections are tight.

If the shore cord wire just goes into the inside, you will need follow it to the breaker panel and check the connections in there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #4

120VAC at Power Pedestal....then check for 120VAC at RV Main Power Panel

Turn RV Main Circuit Breaker(s) Off and check for loose connections (30A/one CB, 50A/two CBs)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #5

Agreed, check for loose connections in your panel and in any junction box or connection leading up to the panel. Check both the hot and neutral wire. A loose neutral will cause you to lose power to. When we got our trailer I found two lose wires in the panel and two fuses installed wrong. One fuse blade was in the slot and one was on the outside of the slot.
Loudram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A multimeter is your friend at this point.

If you don't know how to use one, there are numerous videos on YouTube that will help you trouble shoot this. 110 VAC can kill you....be careful.

You have a loose connection somewhere. Use the meter to trace it back.

Welcome back after 10 years for your second post!

Good luck.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad742 View Post
The last time we used our trailer I noticed the clock on the microwave and the coffee maker kept resetting. Like you would see if there was a power outage. We left for the day and when we returned there was no power to the trailer. I checked the power connection outside the trailer and determined that I had power to the post but again no 110 volt AC in the trailer. In order to get a technician out to the location is costly and since the trailer isn't towed anywhere hiring someone to tow it somewhere for repair just as costly. So I am trying to trouble shoot as much as I can.

My question is this: Would a faulty converter cause 110 volt AC power problems? If I ever find the location of the converter I can probably change it myself. I have had two schools of thought on the converter being the problem so as you can see I need more input. The lesser of all evils is changing out the converter but I don't want to do that unless it is at least a possibility.

Thanks All in Advance.... John
Problem solved, thanks to everyone for their input. The RV park said that their shore power connection was working properly when in fact it wasn't. They hopefully have replaced the faulty plug.
jad742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:10 AM   #8

Good to hear. This is a great example of why everyone should use a surge protector. Their bad connection could mean major problems for us if we're not protected.
Loudram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, problem