Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2023, 10:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Question 12v Power fluctuation

Recently installed 2 LionEnergy Safari UT 1300 lithium iron phosphate batteries. I have a solar panel on the roof feeding to a Zamp ZS-30A Controller/Battery Charger, set to LiFePO4. I replaced OEM converter/charger with a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 12v 60amp Lithium Battery converter/charger. Usually plugged into Shore Power. The 12v power pulsates, especially when sun is bright. Fans modulate, lights flicker in refrigerator, etc. What is going on! How do I eliminate this problem? My technical knowledge of electricity and batteries is elementary. Also have Victron BMV-712 Smart battery monitor on the system, but it may not be optimized...not sure. Any thoughts/help...Thanks!
TenderSeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2023, 11:07 AM   #2

I would start by shutting off the solar input.
If no change, turn off the converter or just unplug shore power (solar still off) and see if the issue persists.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd do as wolfgolden suggests, plus I'd put a voltmeter on the system and see what voltages are actually happening. Got to narrow it down a bit to make constructive suggestions.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:49 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd do as wolfgolden suggests, plus I'd put a voltmeter on the system and see what voltages are actually happening. Got to narrow it down a bit to make constructive suggestions.
Thanks for the input, guys! Yesterday, I went on the roof and unplugged the solar panel...the flickering stopped. Replugged and flickering persisted. Today I disconnected the Zamp Solar Controller from the batteries. The flickering has stopped. I stongly suspect it is the Zamp...this was an OEM item when the coach was manufactured and the batteries were "wet". There is the "change battery" function that allows the Zamp to work with LiFePO4 batteries but I notice the display very seldom indicates "FUL"...usually in a "charge" mode and the V values are constantly switching from 13.4v, 13.7v, 14.1v, etc.,etc. which I think is causing the fluctuation in the circuits. Are you suggesting putting a multimeter on the "from solar panel" and also the "to battery" terminals on the Zamp to check voltage?
Old 01-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #5

Based on above, the zamp is causing the issue, just need to replace it.

If you want to test further anyway, put your meter on the to battery terminals on back and if the voltage is fluctuating with the zamp on then not with it off its confirmed bad. It may take awhile before it starts fluctuating after being off depending on the charge algorithym in the controller
Old 01-16-2023, 12:15 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I spoke to a Zamp representative today. Apparently the controllers that were produced in 2018-2019 cannot compensate for the "lower absorption rate" of newer lithium batteries. So the problem is the solar controller, but updating firmware is not an option...will replace the controller. But meanwhile, I have disconnected the solar panel and the issue is resolved, for the time being. Thanks ALL for you comments!

Tags
12v, power