Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 10:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I understand white and black wires for 12 V current.

Then you are probably mistaken because there is no widely-accepted 12v wiring color standard. Fleetwood (and now Rev Group) typically used white & black for general purpose 12v hot & grounds, so you are probably OK on your coach but don't try to apply it elsewhere, car, RV or boat. Even if common black, white & red are used at major connections like batteries, the wiring harnesses are often complex enough these days that a multitude of colors will be used to help distinguish circuits.

Let your VOM be your guide...
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
120V have code standards, , Dc has a few recommendations..

Auto industry had ZERO as the RV ... My winnie is green, neg, purple pos.. the wires do have numbers...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #17

The only consistent standard I've found for vehicles is with regard to battery connections: red for positive and black for negative. I've never seen any other colors used for that. Everywhere else? All bets are off.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One problem with trying to standardize the 12VDC side is the sheer complexity of 12V systems. With 120VAC it's pretty simple with just hot, neutral, and ground. But take a look at a typical 12VDC wiring harness going through the firewall of any vehicle - the wires are all carrying 12VDC but with the myriad of different circuits being used it's almost impossible to use a standardized scheme. There's only so many colors available after all...
Old 04-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #19

I was happy to see that on my Newmar, all wires are marked on the casing what they are used for. My owners manual has every wire color and gauge identified. It doesn't show schematics but was happy to see all the wires explained and marked.
Now once I leave the Newmar wiring and connect a 3rd party device, all bets are off.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #20

Three coaches, many wiring harnesses, no discernible standards within or across them. Major 12V systems (battery harness, starter, main ground) are consistently red and black, but that's about it. My voltmeters are my close friends. I do have some sympathy for the coach manufacturers. HWH no doubt has a standard. Dometic, too, and all the rest. Sometimes, their standards change, or are ignored to keep costs down, after the original harness was manufactured, so that repair and replacement parts aren't consistent with the parts they replace. Sometimes different generations of systems have different color codes because their designers were different and chose different colors. They cater to the coach manufacturers, who probably don't really care if they change at the Purchasing level (the level that matters).

Also, if checking for continuity, always check for voltage first. It saves on meter fuses, if you're lucky, and on new meters if you're not...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #21

I know a guy that rewires cars using the same color wire for everything because he got the spools of wire for free. Easy when its being done 1 circuit at a time. Go back and trouble shoot a problem, WOW. Ok to electronically trace a wire but physically a nightmare. Like I said before, pull the panel cover off and you can see the colors for each 12 volt circuit with its fuse. Write it down and you will know what you are working with.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring