Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2021, 08:49 AM   #1

1986 Holiday Rambler Question

Good Day: My Name is Darrell and I am new to your forum. Great site well thought out and informative.
I purchased a 1986 HR low miles and great shape. The original generator had been removed?? and I have installed a portable to replace it. I thought this would be relatively easy, but I am unable to locate any switching device for Generator to AC cord plug in. Does anyone happen to know how these were installed originally? I have been told the original generator
was a Kohler. I am unable to locate a remote switch anywhere and thought that there should be one somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards:
D. Boyes
D Boyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! I can't answer the generator question, but wanted to caution you about one thing. Permanently mounted generators have exhaust pipes to the outside. Portable heaters don't normally have exhaust pipes. Without it, you could possibly kill yourself with carbon monoxide fumes! Be safe, have fun, and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with that coach, but back in the day it was common to merely plug the shore cord into an outlet wired to the generator. Auto-transfer switches were a high end feature, even 10 years later.

If there was an auto-transfer switch, the shore cord will be wired to it. Follow the shore cord back through the coach and you will find it if there is one. It may be immediately behind the 120vac load center (breaker box).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #4
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Follow the “shore cord” back into its storage box. If it is a manual transfer there will be a box you can see just inside where you can plug in the end of the “shore cord”. That how my rig is. It is a KISS design. It is one thing I want to change. So I do not have to go outside ever when I turn on the generator.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:59 PM   #5

Congrats on the new to you rig.

A few words of warning. I'll be blunt. Portable generators are not usually designed to be run inside any sort of enclosure. Generators that *are* so designed have clearance and vent specifications, and appropriate exhaust routing. If the genset you installed does not (or even if it does but you didn't follow the specs--they are not "recommendations"), your installation is dangerous from both fire safety and carbon monoxide poisoning perspectives. You really need to either put it outside and away from the coach while it runs or get a genset designed to run in an enclosure.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote