Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #1

1994 allegro bay

just bought a 1994 allegro bay 30 foot chevy motorhome, generator runs great, however under generator power the air coniditioner ceiling unit runs great on fan but as soon as you turn dial to ac the lights dim and the unit does not run, i can feel some cool air but the fan will not crank and the lights remain dim, help!!!

dave
michigan
vidaliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2. A few things to check.
Voltage in the RV when the generator is running.
Go up top and remove the top cover. Check the amps when you try ot start.
Check the compressor start/run capacitor.
Turn off the generator and unplug from power, disconnect compressor and use a volt ohm meeter to see if the motor winding has gone to ground.

Let us know what you find.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #3

Thanks, will get testing and respond

dave
Old 07-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #4

looks like 90 directly from generator, idled up and got it to 110, however the output from the plug in the motorhome was at best 30's, talked to a guy that thinks altenator (brushes are warn, says bad altenator), but how can we get 110 from generator?, do not know enough about generators. what should i do next? thanks!!!!

dave
Old 07-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

p.s. ceiling unit works great when plugged into power from house
Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Your generator is supposed to run at a constant RPM, usually 1875. A constant speed is necessary to produce the proper voltage and frequency. There is a speed governor & voltage regulator that accomplishes this by opening/closing the throttle to maintain the speed needed for the load. Yours may have failed. The other possibility is the alternator, as already stated.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Rev it up and let it work a while under load and see if it gets better,maybe the stator is getting weak from lack of use. A generator is like a dog it needs to be exercised on a regular basis.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

sorry for my lack of knowledge but is the ac ceiling unit ok to run from 110 power? (plugged into my garage)

dave
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidaliaman View Post
sorry for my lack of knowledge but is the ac ceiling unit ok to run from 110 power? (plugged into my garage)

dave
No problem running it when you are plugged in.

I wouldn't try to run it on a generator that is only putting out 90 volts...

It could be that the genny just needs some exercise though. How about loading it with resistive loads? Coffee maker, blow dryer or two?

First I'd access the genny's carb, and give all the linkages a good shot with carb cleaner, move the linkage while your shooting it and try to get it clean and able to move smoothly. With the engnie off of course, and give it a few hours to dry before starting it up, carb cleaner is very flamable.

Once it's all dry, fire up the genny, plug in a couple hair dryers and maybe a coffee pot, and let her run under load for a while, an hour or more, checking the voltage periodically. hopefully the genny will stabilize after a while and give you that steady 115 -120 volts.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #10

thanks jim, back to work on it!
dave
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #11

update: i am back from upstate new york, once again air conditioner works great plugged into my 110 garage, decided to plug it into my home generator and it works great, however started my onan generator and ac could not get enough to run, i would appreciate rerunning the steps i need to take to check out where the problem is in my unit.

thanks again
dave
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #12

also toggle switch on right side of steering wheel, do not know what in the world it is for, i ran all through new york and back to michigan with it on because one time when i shut it off it drain the battery and trans would not even shift well, forgot i had it off and turned it back on and mh shifted great and ran great, what in the world would the toggle switch be for?

thanks dave
michigan