Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2" Double Receiver

What are your thoughts about using this on our MH for pulling the toad and to use for our Swagman bike rack? It has a 10,000 #capacity.

Right now our Blue Ox tow bar is at a slight upward angle when coupled into the MH receiver. With this double receiver the BO tow bar would be level or perhaps at a slight downward angle. Would not know for sure until I hooked everything up.

My reason for looking into this is to move the bikes from the back of the toad to the back of the MH.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Attached Images

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That should work fine, as long as there's clearance between the tow bar and the bike rake. I'm not familiar with the Swagman, so I don't know how well that will work. If you need to use and extension with the tow bar for clearance, then I wouldn't do it.

Blue Ox makes a bike rack that mounts to a sleeve around the tow bar end, which (usually) doesn't require any kind of extension. I'd look into that.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
I have a diff kind of double receiver, and on mine the manufacturer strictly said that only one of the receivers should be used for towing a trailer or significant load, the other for a bike rack. Mine is a little diff than yours, but the point is relevant. In mine, there is one "straight tube" that comes directly out from the towing vehicle's hitch, and the other is welded on the side (like both of yours in the picture). Only the straight tube is rated for towing heavy stuff.

So:

1. Make sure you understand the towing capacity in yours, and
2. Consider alternatives. Blue ox, for example, makes a product that adds bike rack carry between motor home and toad. Maybe that would fill your needs?
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
I have a diff kind of double receiver, and on mine the manufacturer strictly said that only one of the receivers should be used for towing a trailer or significant load, the other for a bike rack. Mine is a little diff than yours, but the point is relevant. In mine, there is one "straight tube" that comes directly out from the towing vehicle's hitch, and the other is welded on the side (like both of yours in the picture). Only the straight tube is rated for towing heavy stuff. So: 1. Make sure you understand the towing capacity in yours, and 2. Consider alternatives. Blue ox, for example, makes a product that adds bike rack carry between motor home and toad. Maybe that would fill your needs?
I tried to upload a pix for u but I got another parse error from irv2. But if you do a google search for "blueox bike rack" you will find it.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

While you may be ok using an extension, it will reduce the tow rating of the motorhome's receiver by almost half. You will be ok depending on the toad's weight... Advisability On Using Extensions With a Tow Bar | etrailer.com
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to use a custom made drop receiver adapter.. Much like those (only a different drop)

I still use a custom made drop receiver,, but it is different (you see my bike rack is designed to be a single bolt mount, it goes on where a hitch ball would normally go. So when I used one like those I had to use an adapter.

When Blue Ox replaced the wrong size drop the dealer gave me with a right size drop.. They welded a tab to the top of it for the bike rack to bolt to.. Very nice job.)
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #7

I tried a similar double from etailer for a luggage rack, but it didn't have enough clearance for the surge brakes on the tow dolly. The one with the built in hitch didn't a either so I had my welder cut off the top and make it higher. I decided I didn't like the cargo rack so the bike rack is going there and the cargo is going into the car.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

I use the Gen-Y hitch with a Swagman Tandem bike carrier and Blue Ox tow bar.

Gen Y Hitches: The most versatile adjustable hitch on the market today!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
What are your thoughts about using this on our MH for pulling the toad and to use for our Swagman bike rack? It has a 10,000 #capacity. Right now our Blue Ox tow bar is at a slight upward angle when coupled into the MH receiver. With this double receiver the BO tow bar would be level or perhaps at a slight downward angle. Would not know for sure until I hooked everything up. My reason for looking into this is to move the bikes from the back of the toad to the back of the MH. Appreciate your thoughts.
Why do you not want it on the toad. I'm pushing the weight limits on the MH as it is. Anything on the back of the motor home adds significantly to the rear axle weight. I want as much as I can in the toad (within reason).
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on putting the bikes on the toad if possible.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you have room, you can do what I did. I just had another receiver bolted on top of my OEM receiver. My brother-in-law also had it done, but had to weld the second one on the underside.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #12

That's the setup I have (different toad though) and have used it for 5+ years on two different MH's. No problems whatsoever.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
While you may be ok using an extension, it will reduce the tow rating of the motorhome's receiver by almost half. You will be ok depending on the toad's weight... Advisability On Using Extensions With a Tow Bar | etrailer.com

I think that answer is incorrect, ironically they give a completely different answer here https://www.etrailer.com/question-59322.html

The answer I posted is what a Blue OX technician told me when I asked about this setup.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingGnome View Post
I use the Gen-Y hitch with a Swagman Tandem bike carrier and Blue Ox tow bar. Gen Y Hitches: The most versatile adjustable hitch on the market today!
This is what I use also. The Gen-Y is cast an the 2 inch part is solid not hollow tube. I actually flip it from how it is pictured and the tow bar goes in the bottom and my grill goes in the top, sometimes the bike rack. It allows plenty of clearance between the grill bottom and the tow bar when turning and transvering odd approach angles, ie entering and exiting parking lots.