Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2020, 08:27 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
You'd have to pull about 45 amps at 240 volts through that circuit for 24 hours to do it. That's close to maxing out both legs of a 50 amp set up. That's some pretty serious power draw for an RV park to add. If you're going to recharge that battery overnight, you're looking at 155 amps at 240 volts for 8 hours (overnight). That's a lot of power for a large S&B house to draw at peak. To make that widely available is a really tall order.

Not to mention, 300 kWh is anemic for a motorhome EV battery. Teslas weigh in around 4500 pounds. A small Class A is easily 20,000 and has an exponentially larger drag coefficient. You'd be lucky to make 100 miles a day with only a 300 kWh battery pack in an RV. You'd never make it to the Grand Canyon, or Yellowstone, or anywhere really with such a short daily range and long recharge times.
My guess is the first motorhome will be on the Mercedes electrified chassis with a 300 kWh ish battery. A cybertruck or Rivian or Ford or hummer will have a 200 to 300 kwh battery. A 50 amp connection on a standard 40 amp 240 volt EVSE will put a decent charge on in s day. People don’t usually arrive empty when driving a vehicle. It might not be a perfect scenario but would be adequate for many. Fast charging stations are fine for route charging but campgrounds don’t need fast charging. Adding a 100 to 150 kWh overnite would work fine. Overtime upgrades will have to be made. Those who do will stay in business. I would think there will be a couple decades of transition. Lots of time to evolve.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #86

Hmm, you do have a point. The small class Cs and van conversion type RVs would most likely to be one of the first to go EV.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Hmm, you do have a point. The small class Cs and van conversion type RVs would most likely to be one of the first to go EV.
That and towables. Lots of EV trucks coming in the next two years.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSpor View Post
Been camping all over East of the Mississippi River with 3 different TT's and a PUP. All had 30 amp connections. In every campground we visited, anywhere, the camper was plugged into the 30 amp receptacle I ran a second 50 or 100 foot extension cord off the 20 amp receptacle to power space heaters, electric griddles, coffee pots, and toasters so the extra draw would not be powered through the camper robbing the available 30 amp service in the camper. We stared doing this when the campground breaker would pop or the camper main breaker would pop or one of the sub breakers would pop when too much of a load was on.

In over 20 years of camping/RVing, we never had power problems doing this.

You'll be fine running a second 20 amp line into your camper too.

The reason I never installed a connection into the camper, instead just put the extension cord thorugh a window, is because I'd use that same cord to power our electric griddle, or coffee pot, or toaster on the picnic table. I could just drag the cord anywhere. And still do the same, even though we have a 50 amp camper now. We do almost all our food preparation and cooking outside.
I don't have your experience (time on the road) but I will say this is what we do. Each outlet on the post has it's own breaker. I generally run an extention for an outdoor griddle or some other appliance just like you. Never an issue. Never saw any warning at any site about not using both. And seriously.. no offence to anyone.. if there was a sign that said only use one, and it wasn't SUPER obvious, with maybe a plate that you could only expose one outlet.... you know most of us would notice it.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #89

Deleted