Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE Gravity Drain Fill

I'm new to RVing and just purchased a 2017 Winnebago Vista 31KE. I'm attempting to sanitize the fresh water tank and I cannot find the fresh water gravity fill.

Does anyone know where the fresh water gravity fill is located on this coach and if it does not have one how do I get the water chlorine mixture into the fresh water tank to sanitize my system?
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #2

It probably does not have one as many RVs now just have a valve to fill it from the city water connection. If this is the case there are a couple of ways that you can deal with it. The first is to take your hose and drain out most of the water and then pour your measured amount of chlorine bleach into the hose, then connect it again and proceed to fill the fresh water tank. If you have one of the whole house type of water filters, just remove the filter cartridge from it and put your bleach into it.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a winterizing hose? By this i mean a small hose built into the plumbing system designed to fill the pipes with antifreeze. Ours is next to the water pump. If so, this is what you do. Mix a chlorine water solution in a container, 1 to 5 gallons in size. Place your fresh water valve in the "Tank Fill" position. Place your winterizing hose in your premixed solution and turn on your water pump. The water will go into to your tank.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #4

Park Super, an excellent idea! I had never thought of that method but have done the water hose routine many times. I wonder if the bleach in hose route isn't less time consuming, but would like to test it.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #5

As I received responses and researched how to add the bleach, putting it in the fill hose and then connecting it to the fresh water fill and filling the tank was the option I used. Several folks suggested suing the winterizing hose but I was told this only gets the bleach in the fresh water lines in the coach and not into the tank. It was also suggested to get a small fountain pump and make a fill hose connection to attach to the pump and then use the pump to pump the bleach solution into the coach from a bucket. This give you enough pressure to get the bleach by the check valve in the coach at the fresh water fill connection.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
you were given incorrect info. If you select tank fill and turn on the pump the water will go to the fresh water tank. When winterizing you keep the valve in the normal position to fill the lines. I use this method every year to freshen up our water system before traveling. Always dilute the bleach with water first.

Here is another tip. If you dry camp as we do, we carry a 5 gallon water can, fill it up with fresh water and use the same method to add fresh water to our tank if we need too.

I used to do as you did....but the fill the hose method was not very practical trying to get a diluted solution into the tank. Undiluted bleach will break down your hose, your tank, your clothes..........
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Undiluted bleach will break down your hose, your tank, your clothes..........
While it will harm clothing, it only sanitizes the hose as you fill the tank and has never harmed any hose I have used over the 21 years that I have been doing it that way. I do not let the bleach stand in the hose for longer than necessary but but do not rush. Since the bleach enters the tank as the water is being put into it and you don't usually start with an empty tank, there is never undiluted bleach in the potable water tank.

With only 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water that the tank holds, you only need to put in 1 cup for 60 gallons, or 1 1/2 cups for 90 gallons. Far from enough to fill the white hose.

Tags
winnebago