Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #43

I'd suggest to try it without a toad first just to see what it is like. As you can tell from all the comments, it can work quote well for some. We went on 4-5 camping trips and rallies before deciding to equip our MINI Cooper for flat towing behind our first coach, a 1998 Safari Trek 2430. We have towed it behind our 2nd coach, a 2005 Safari Trek 28RB2, our 3rd coach, a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3778 and now our 4th coach. For about 5 years, from 2013 to 2018, we had a second toad, a 2012 Honda CR-V. Our biggest mistake was trading that one in on a new 2018 CR-V. We now miss having the toad flexibility to haul our 2 dogs and 'stuff' in the toad when we go exploring. I'd consider selling my MINI Cooper toad and buying a used CR-V just for the extra space since downsizing from the Newmar. But, heck, that just me....
tkeppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
My wife and I did not have the ability to pull a toad. Our 37' Class A gasser was too heavy for the transmission as it was, never mind a toad. So we put our bikes on a rack at the back of the motorhome. It wasn't perfect by any stretch but with some judicious choosing of our home base, we were often able to do and see the things we wanted. It also forced us to get some exercise. I would try it without for a little bit and see what it's like. You can always add a toad.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #45

We traveled well over 10k miles without a toad, we got by, perfectly doable. I did get tired of pulling up camp every time we wanted to go sight seeing and having to setup the grill & outdoor chairs, tables, yada, yada when we got back from seeing some place. Finding a spot to park the RV in small towns was super easy, the larger towns like DC, Boston, NYC, Atlanta, Nashville and such were a huge hassle.
After 6 years we finally got a Jeep Wrangler so we would have a fun vehicle to replace the ATV for boon docking and street legal transportation in every state for seeing places in a 40-50 mile radius of base camp. I only wish we had gotten the toad 5 years earlier!
It's all personal preference, try without and see how you like mini adventures with the RV. Have fun!
btgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulspeed View Post
I saw a previous post asking if a class A without a tow vehicle was doable and the consensus was, "it's better with". Any experienced views for the 27-28ft range specifically like the Winnebago 27N?
Our original 2001 Newmar NewAire is 28ft long, no slides, GVRW = 24,000lbs. It is more than adequately powered by a very reliable Cummins ISB. Our trusty toad is a 2013 CR-V; wouldn't leave home without it. We've driven that combination all over the USA, including the Rocky Mountains, with no problems to speak of.

Unfortunately, Newmar discontinued manufacturing variations of the original NewAire class A in 2002; only 42 units left the factory. Based upon our personal experiences, if Newmar ever resurrects the NewAire 2800 series (the original coach, not just the name), they would sell like hotcakes.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #47

E-bikes!

If you're aren't going to he venturing more than 50 miles round trip, maybe a battery assisted bike is the answer. We just bought a couple and love them!
pamljadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #48

We have a 35 foot class A. and don't tow a toad. Sometimes it would be nice, but we have managed. Even on long trips.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Toadless for 5 years—we had a similar experience to some of you who tow. We bought a 30 footer so we wouldn’t need a toad. Two things turned the tide: navigating downtown Key West (yikes) & renting a car (very, very convenient).
Old 08-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #50

If we are gone for more than 2 nights, the Wrangler goes with us. I don't want to be stuck or have to break camp just to go pick up something. Lets face it, it can get a little boring being in a MH while it is storming outside. At least with a toad, we can go catch a movie (pre-COVID) or go out to eat.

When we go camping, it is to explore the area and we usually stay in state parks. Most of these are very spread out and it can be miles from the site to the swimming area or the outpost. They are also usually several miles away from the things we want to see, other than the hiking trails.

The only time I could see not taking a toad is if we were just driving A to B and not expecting to stop except to sleep and this isn't something we have ever done.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:35 AM   #51

After all of the comments, the best one is still Gary's post #5. Of course, I still have to add that we have been toad free since our first motorhome in 1977. But, we sometimes do it backwards; if we tow anything it is a dedicated autocross car on a trailer and leave the trailer in the campground to see the sights in the motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Very much a personal tolerance thing and not all that much tied to any size threshold. Some folks find breaking camp, finding a big enough parking spot and maneuvering a large vehicle in traffic to be a big PITA, while others just do it and don't even blink. What others do or don't do is not very relevant; it's only what you consider acceptable that counts.

We haven't owned a smallish RV in decades so I can't respond with current experience, but I recognize that as we got older our tolerance for inconvenience went down. these days we are quite willing to spend money or extra time if it reduces hassle for us.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #52

I have a 32' motorhome and I had no problem with no toad. I have driven more times in reverse then most people drive forward. However, my wife didn't like resetting everything every time we wanted to go some place. Soooo I bought a Jeep Wrangler and tow it. I love it, I can go anywhere.......done the 4 wheeling thing and gone places most of you with cars will never go. So YES a toad for us works.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:04 AM   #53

As you can see from the responses, weather to bring a toad along or not depends a lot on your personal situation, and comfort driving a large vehicle in tight spaces. Its not just the length, the width and height of some units is an impediment to driving in tight spaces. Also do you really want to be that guy taking multiple parking spaces or blocking the road with an RV in places they just should not be. Like the tight parking spot and poor availability of many popular attractions. Try taking a RV through Yosemite Valley, or the smaller pull outs in Tahoe or so many national parks. Parking up your RV and taking a toad is so much less stress for you and those around you. Last time in Yellowstone multiple times i was cursing an RV trying to pull off the road in a RV because a bear was in sight. The rangers get pretty upset with people who do that, and rightfully so.
So for me take the stress out and use a toad.
Chris Hayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #54

We did a 25is ft class A for a bit, without a toad, then we hung an Advendure bike off the hits and did not look back, it was a load of fun, ability to off road a bit, on road a bit and yet no toad. Been there done that flat tow sounded like a dream for a toad till we ended up having to backup and jammed things up, so we did a trailer well that is another burr in the saddle.

The mobike solution was totally, but now we sport a 24ft van B and its the cats meow, for all the fun things in life, theater, picnics, museums, malls, games little league etc too, not to mention farmers markets and such as well, yes the mobike can still hag off the back but does not as often as it used to!

As are wider and taller than Bs and the extra few feet make it a bit of an issue in parking spots, when you cannot hang the tail over the perimeter, even the B we do that some time but again have to be careful to not scrape things off the bottom with curbs and things.

If you can entertain a nice adventure bike they start at 5K new and weigh around 400 lbs give or take you are good to go anywhere. Yes lights, helmets, even riding gear is a great great idea, modern gear is very good, cool when you want, water tight when you want and insulated and heated too when you want. FUN is what we make of it eh.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #55

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It all depends on what you want to do when you get there or your camping style. We’ve only owned two MHs, a 27’ Coach House and presently a 32’ Lazy Daze, both pretty easy to park, just about anywhere. With that said, I wouldn’t leave home without a toad, a 4wd toad at that. We like to explore out of the way places after settling in for a few days. We’re too old for bikes but not for jeeps and have been to so many beautiful places that I would never consider taking most class Bs and definitely not a class C and a lot of them you couldn’t take one unless it was one of those Earth Roamers. We took our Lazy Daze from Alabama to Alaska last year dragging a Jeep Cherokee all the way. Can’t imagine making the trip without it, we used the Jeep almost everyday. Once again It really depends on where you go on your camping trip, what you like to do etc. If your trips are destinations such a state park, national park or places where you plan to stay, hike, bike, fish or just plan to relax, you will probably not need a toad. There is no right or wrong here, personal preference, desires and needs. Just the convenience of getting around without breaking camp every time is worth it to us.
balijoe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #56

Class A doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulspeed View Post
I saw a previous post asking if a class A without a tow vehicle was doable and the consensus was, "it's better with". Any experienced views for the 27-28ft range specifically like the Winnebago 27N?

Thanks for helping a newbie
Did it for years! No problem. Just couldn’t get thru McDonalds drive thru.
If we tied up somewhere and wanted a smaller vehicle for tours or scenic drive. We rented a car. Way cheaper than tow bars tolls and fuel to pull a toad! Try it you’ll like it
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, tow