Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 04:03 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
30 amp shore power on a 50 amp system

We have a 2014 Newmar Ventana, it has a 50 amp system. Looking to workcamp at a park that has 30 amp shorepower. This will be a 2 month assignment. Problems?? Thanks......
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2016, 04:17 AM   #2

We did a long weekend on 30 amp service, and to tell you the truth, I didn't see a difference. I did keep the water heater on propane. I tried to keep track of what was on when firing up the microwave. Normally with 50 amp service, I don't watch anything. On 30 amp, I tried to keep an eye on stuff and let the EMS manage the load. Hope this helps.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its a management thing. When we have to be on 30amp, we monitor usage a little closer, especially the microwave and washer/dryer. (I put post-it notes up to remind me until it becomes habit). Certainly use propane for the water heater and furnace. Other than that, its pretty easy. The only caution I would advise is when you're going to be working at this 30amp park, is what time of year is it and will you be needing to use the AC a lot? If so, its still possible, just monitor! I think it also helps you to think about your RV and how it uses power. Makes you watch your consumption a bit and makes you a "greener" person.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on where your workkamp assignment is. If it is extremely hot you have trouble keeping your coach cool with a 30 amp service, in reality you can only run 1 AC unit. If you have an EMS system that manages the load it would help but still not ideal.

As others have said, refrigerator & water heater on propane. Watch the use of other high amperage users such the microwave.

One option you may consider is wiring one of your AC units so it can be operated with an extension cord bypassing the coaches power center. You could then run that AC unit as needed without working about total load assuming the shore power is not throttled to a total of 30 amp.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the advice Jim gave you! You can probably get away with running both A/C's as long as you don't run other high amperage devices at the same time!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Set your battery charger for a low current draw to minimize it's impact on your power budget.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Many smaller coach's have 30 amps and get by fine. When in a 50amp coach, which is in reality a 100 amp coach, on 30 amps I use the rule of 2. The rule is no more than 2 major appliances on at any time. In the morning for showers water heater and coffee pot, when coffee is done hair dryer. 1 A/C ant micro or two A/C's, being plugged in all the time the charging system has little effect on power. With the newer entertainment systems, they have again little effect on over all power. At night in colder environments in would use a small electric heater and keep the hot water heater on. Also kept the refer on gas most of the time but setting in one place for two months I might manage that on electric during the day. Rigs with residential refer I would look at turning off the ice maker at high use times.

LEN
Old 11-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys, got some good news today, our workcamper site has 30/50 amp shore power. Eastern Mt in June & July......
Gsgarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsgarland View Post
Thanks guys, got some good news today, our workcamper site has 30/50 amp shore power. Eastern Mt in June & July......
Darn and i had a great 30AMP story to tell, Ol' Well, no matter now.

" Jim, i'm just a country doctor" Good luck on the work camp and have some fun too
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsgarland View Post
We have a 2014 Newmar Ventana, it has a 50 amp system. Looking to workcamp at a park that has 30 amp shorepower. This will be a 2 month assignment. Problems?? Thanks......
Don't know if your Newmar has hydronic heating system (Oasis), but if it does, you will have to leave it on diesel, or be turning the electric element(s) off, whenever you are planning on using another hi amp appliance.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

CG with 30A & 50A so your issues have been resolved....

Just remember in the future.
30A is just 1 hot leg----3600Ws total thru a 30A CB

50A is 2 hot legs......each leg/6000Ws available thru each 50A CB for a total of 12,000Ws

50A RVs can use 30A power supply just have to do a little 'energy management'
With an EMS most of that is done
W/O an EMS......YOU have to do it (we always swapped fridge & water heater to propane and then only used microwave when A/C wasn't on)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power