Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

34 ft class A too big....?

Still in the research phase of our first coach and originally wanted something closer to 30-32 ft. Range. Now we are noticing most of the floor plans we like are in the 33-34 ft range.

I realize a lot is personal preference, but is a 34 ft coach too big to start out with as far as handling? Driving?

Will a 34ft coach eliminate too many parks by being too big?

I would appreciate your advice and wisdom as we keep doing the research.

Thanks all
ritchieg1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

I have only hit a couple parks where I had to drop my 20 ft. car trailer. Mh is 32 ft plus 20 ft for the trailer, so 52 ft. long. Most pull throughs we have been to are longer. Also have backed into quite a few.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi,

We bought our first rig 3 yrs ago and got a 33 FT one. Wish I had another 4 FT on her. It works well for us so as a first rig it will do.

We spent 3 months in it this winter down in FL and will be spending 6 months in it in Yuma this winter. You spend a lot of time outside and with just two of us it is fine but I would like another 4 FT.

For camping in State Parks, stay around 33 or 34 ft. You will need the storage they provide with their basement compartments as well as inside space. Make sure the shower is big enough for you to move around with arms raised. Closets, cupboards, anything that will make life easier.

You will be surprised at how quickly you will fill it up.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't think 34' would be a problem at most any park.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

From my experience, as limited as it is, I am limited by my size at 42 feet. My father in law, never had an issue getting into places at 36 feet.

The driving between his and mine is not all that different. Though, turning on city streets is an issue for me, not for him. On the freeway you’d never know the difference.

Honestly, it’s all about what you are comfortable behind the wheel in. I personally enjoy the extra space.
Diesel_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #6

Got kids?

If so, 90' isn't long enough!

Ours is 43'. Sure, we have some restrictions on where we can go, but if you're driving 32', jumping only 10% longer to 35 or 36' is nothing to worry about.

You'll adapt easily, and you shouldn't have any issues.

And the extra room is a big difference, no matter how much bigger you get.

Find the right floor plan for your circumstances and the differing lengths that it's available in (with some compromising here and there), and you'll be happier.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

A 34' coach will limit the number of campsites you can park in. Up here a lot of the nice private spots at campgrounds are up to 32' with only 30 amp power. 33' and up will normally be more open pull through sites . Most of them have 50 amp power .
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

I had a class C 27' 24 years and 3 years ago went to 32' class A. I find handling and driving to be about the same but the difference is noticeable. However, You will find that when you get past 32' the number of spaces available starts to shrink. Likely 33-34' should still be fine but it will start to narrow down your options and greater difficulty parking in RV parks and National parks.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #9

If big is good bigger's better. True in most all of life.
Jrbykerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #10

34 ft class A too big....?

Yes, IF. If you want to drive on winding country roads comfortably. If you want to hit a store or restaurant parking spot comfortably. If you want to pull into a campground after dark comfortably. If you want to turn the rig around comfortably.

At 28 ft me and the wife are comfortable and still don’t use half of the cabinet storage space available.

Of course we are part-timers though.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Seldom have had issues with no spot long enough for our 40' with tag.. but it does happen once in a while.
Planning and luck is the ultimate key for success..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We find that many campgrounds are now set up for trailer pull throughs and long enough to fit a truck and trailer.
I really think you will do just fine with a 34' motorhome and not notice the difference except you will have more room and a better floorplan.

Most of us start out with a short motorhome and then end up going a few feet longer a down the road. Some of us then go longer yet a few more years down the road.
You can just skip one of the intermediate steps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieg1965 View Post
Still in the research phase of our first coach and originally wanted something closer to 30-32 ft. Range. Now we are noticing most of the floor plans we like are in the 33-34 ft range.

I realize a lot is personal preference, but is a 34 ft coach too big to start out with as far as handling? Driving?

Will a 34ft coach eliminate too many parks by being too big?

I would appreciate your advice and wisdom as we keep doing the research.

Thanks all
Start looking at 45' and work down from there. Usually, people trade up to a longer/bigger coach, not down to a smaller one. If you can handle a 34' diesel pusher, you'll get use to a larger coach very quickly.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:53 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forgot about the driving.

I am the wife and I drive our 34 FT MH and we tow our Equinox behind it. When we first bought our rig we did not tow the car behind. One drove the MH and the other the car. We just traveled locally. Just wanted to get used to it at first. That didn't last long because we found out there wasn't much difference.

I feel comfortable driving the rig. There are driving courses you can take if really concerned. You need to be aware where you backside is swinging and your back tires are at going around corners.

You'll be fine. Go to a RV sale place and drive a used rig. You'll see.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a