Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #1

5.00 dollar a gallon gas is the new 4.00 dollar a gallon gas says the news media

The TV media is bought and paid for by the oil company.They pay them to say things like this to get the people to say the same thing over and over again. The future traders are running up the price of oil as the all ready bought some on the low side and sell it on the high side. This is what almost brought us in to a Depression in 2008. There use to be laws on the books that if you bid on oil or gas futures you had to take delivery of it.In 2001 most all the regulations where removed and gas went from 1.48 to 2.08 in 2002.If we do not get our law makers to replace these laws then we will soon be in a World of hurt. With of all this greed on Wall Street who will bale out Wall street and the banks this time. Our Government is broke and we will go into a Depression that will make 2009 look like a cake walk. This is not a Red or Blue problem it is a American problem. There is no shortage no hurricane no war or anything going on to have gas going up this high. They are using fear of Iran to block the sea way to stop the tankers from the world market. Give me a break we have a battle group in this area and sure our Navy could wipe out Iran,s Whole Navy in a matter of seconds. Who are they trying to kid. There was a smart person that once said you can tell the difference of a great nation if they do not repeat the same mistakes over and over again. I hope our leaders wake up and start working together for whats best for the American people. God Bless The USA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
There are many more things in play than just futures traders and media hype. They have an impact, sure, but nothing like supply manipulation by the cartels.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding the TV media - and let me add, the general public.

In 1974 we had the so called gas shortage. Remember the long lines at the gas pumps, alternate days of purchasing gas depending on the last number of your license plate? (There was no shortage, but that is for another discussion)

Remember only being able to buy gas if the tank gauge showed less than half empty?

Remember the TV Media, and the newspaper media. Every one of them were broadcasting how the general public could reduce the demand of gas and the prices would drop. Every day there were broadcasts of what to do.

Presently, all we here is "prices are rising."

Remember in 1974 when carpooling was the word of the day. It was not "mandatory," but the general public took up the challenge and we saw a lot of carpooling.

That so called shortage was very short lived. And there never was a shortage. My neighborhood gas station owner (Shell franchise) told me that he could get all the gas he wanted, and any time of him being opened I could get gas.

No, I don't expect RV'ers to carpool, but it sure would help if the general public got on the bandwagon and started sharing some of the responsibility of managing our future.

It would sure help if the broadcast and newspaper media contributed to this dilemma with suggestive tips on reducing our demand, therefore increasing supply.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #4

Trying to not be political. But whos energy secretary stated a couple years ago that a certain prestdent wanted us to pay the same for gas as the europeans?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After having worked for an oil company for twenty-seven years my favorite response to prices comes from an ex-manager and V.P. He said he learned a long time ago that oil companies are going to get all they can for their product. That is just the way it is. Would you want it any different in a free market capitalist society? Government intervention? It is like cigarettes and alcohol for government to tax because they know people will continue to buy the product. Don't like the price, don't buy the product. Don't like the profit then don't invest in the company.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
When the "green agenda" is to cut the usage of hydrocarbon-based fuels by raising the cost to the consumer, thereby encouraging conservation and building a price umbrella for otherwise non-competitive alternative energy sources, what do you expect gas and diesel prices to do? If I said any more, it would be political, so I'll quit before I go there.

Rusty
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Weak dollar causes elevated gas prices. A weak dollar pushes the price of United States exports down, so it can sell goods to foreign markets at cheaper prices but one drawback to having a weak dollar is it makes importing goods into the U.S. more expensive.

The oil the U.S. consumes comes from foreign companies and this causes oil to be imported at higher prices. Speculation and derivative trading are also causing gas prices to be unnecessarily high.

I don't profess to have all the answers ... I'll leave that to the experts
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fridays local paper had a article that if the Keystone XL pipeline can be built, the Canadians can get $20 more per barrel because they can now by-pass the midwest processors and get it to the gulf coast where tankers can deliver to China. All this will cause gas prices to rise 20-40 cents per gallon for the midwest and great lake states....Something to think about....

Just like M...BBD said above, oil companies are going to get as much as they can for their product...screw the US of A......
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 03-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think its odd that in the fall of 2008 prices were higher than they are now.
And I think just like 08 I think they will go down come december.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 03-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

That is just the way it is. Would you want it any different in a free market capitalist society. It is not a free Market when the supply and demand do not matter.The gas used in this country is the lowest it has been since 1980.We have oil tankers sitting off our shores in international waters waiting for the price of a barrel to go up.There are all kinds of loop holes for the oil company,s.To top it off we tax payers are paying subcities to these oil company,s so they can gouge us with higher gas prices. Why call this a Free Market Capitalist society.I would call it a Monoply and a rip off .There are things only our goverment can do and this is one place they could protect us from these out of control oil company,s. We have so much oil in this country that they are running out of storage areas.They also want to shut down more gas Refinery.Why because demand is so low.What better way to create a gas shortage. If I remember the oil company,s where saying that we havent built a new refinery since the 70s and that was the problem back then.They have run out of reasons to spike the gas prices so now they just do it.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
There are many more things in play than just futures traders and media hype. They have an impact, sure, but nothing like supply manipulation by the cartels.

I think there are many factors to the higher cost of fuel. We in S.C. have low state taxes on fuel but I have noticed that this week alone gas has gone up .05 a gallon in the last two days we are now at $3.57 a gallon. I think we will see $5.00 a gallon or just under that when the real summer driving season kicks in.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We can all go on and on;;;;; My experiance is such;; In 1952 I pumped gas. First up into a big measuring glass then you lit it into the car tank, Gas was .17 C to .20 cents per gallon. For my job I was paid .50 per hour So 1 hour could buy 2+ gallons of gas In 1964 Gas was .40 cents Per gallon , And I was getting Paid $2.00 per hour; Now gas is $4.00 PG. 5 Gal. equals $20.00 bucks. ! hours work.. and the working trades man will make near $20.00 PH. X 2000 Hours per year== $40.000. per year Most make more then that. WE are in a free country, You can come and go as you please.. I see a fault in people when they complain about something like gas prices. . Go to some country and pay $12.00 per gallon,. Lets just be happy it is there so we can buy it.. Life is good. WE make money so we can enjoy things. By complaining it makes everyone feel so bad.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Great forum, all of you are correct. Supply and demand is what controls everything in a free market and when you mess with it, Government intervention, it will end up like all other Government inerventions, total failure......Open up ANWAR, Drill baby Drill and limit exportation and prices will drop drastically.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
When the "green agenda" is to cut the usage of hydrocarbon-based fuels by raising the cost to the consumer, thereby encouraging conservation and building a price umbrella for otherwise non-competitive alternative energy sources, what do you expect gas and diesel prices to do? If I said any more, it would be political, so I'll quit before I go there.

Rusty
You have it 100% correct Rusty. We are being forced into an unwanted energy source.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas