Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Brings back my boy scout days
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Here is a much simpler view on youTube teing a TRUCKERS KNOT.

van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Dogman were you in the Navy?

I learned knot tying in bootcamp.
I learned them reading Dad's bluejackets manual when I was a kid.What is the name of the half-hitch looking loop used to store a long line?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I learned them reading Dad's bluejackets manual when I was a kid.What is the name of the half-hitch looking loop used to store a long line?
Beats me. That was 53 years ago.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 AM   #19

My sailor friend says if you can't tie the right knot, tie a "lotsa" knot.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Is this what your asking?

or is it this one?

http://www.prodogschool.co.uk/how-to...dog-long-line/
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Reminds me of the Boy Scouts where i learned a lot about CAMPING!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #22

Jayco Owners Club
I second adding the clove hitch and would also add the taut line hitch (rolling hitch if you are a sailor). The TLH is an adjustable knot invaluable for tensioning or loosening lines that need to be adjusted occasionally (like the lines holding out the corners of a dining fly for instance).

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #23

I was in the boy scouts and the Navy. But learned most of the knots that I currently use at my father's knee. He was a boy scout, boater, camper and Marine.

Although I do love knots (my go-to's are clove hitch, square, bowline, taut-line) I'll admit to not knowing as many as I would like to. So thank you for this post!

Whenever the subject of knots comes up I am reminded of a former coworker. We were cable TV repair techs and each of us had our own van with lots of different equipment; ladders cable reels etc all organized and stored inside our van in our own unique ways. I mostly used wire to tie things to the inside roof and sides of the van. It worked for me.
One evening I was working with another experienced tech who I had not worked with before, and opened the door of his van to pull some wire and was stunned to find that everything in his van was secured with multiple different weights and colors of rope using many many different well tied knots. I was so impressed that I stopped in my tracks and asked him if he was a boy scout or a sailor, his reply? Stagehand!
Tim-n-Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #24

5-Simple everday RV CAMPER Knots.

My remember and most used knots are: square or reef knot, 2 half hitches, bowline, sheet bend, taut line hitch, and clove hitch. If you have to secure a heavy pull on a rope, the wet weather hitch is great. You can untie it even when the rope is wet. A circus would use this to hold the main polls upright and easy to strike the big top.

Probably the most authoritative book of knots is “Ashley’s Book of Knots”. The book contains knots from simple scout or sailor knots to very complex ones used as decorative or macromay, which the queen of England enjoyed. Probably was taught to her by sailors that did “square knotting”. While Ashleys is out of print, I have found copies in book stores.

I may have misspelled some of the names above, but I can tie them.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Navy also had "Fancy Work" which is Rope used for decorative display.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
Yep, that's it! I remember seeing and reading about it in Dad's manual, but forget the name. We always stored our 100' hay ropes this way. The rope/line cannot tangle. When needed, you held to the loose end, threw the bundle up over the hay wagon, and the rope undid itself as it went.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman635UT View Post
That's how I coiled my 100 foot 10/3 construction electrical cord. Folded the coiled cord in half, picked it up and threw it over my shoulder to carry to my truck. That thing gets heavier every year.
I think the bowline is the most important knot to know as it's a lifesaver. Slip it over your head and under your armpits with the knot in front of your face so you don't fall out as someone pulls you out of a canyon or the middle of a frozen lake.
I taught many Boy Scouts how to tie that knot with both hands and then with one or the other hand behind their back in case they had a broken arm.
The other knot I use all the time is the truckers' hitch.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animated knots, bowline, camper, camper knots, knot, knots, truckers hitch