Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
50a rv but only 30a feed?

I just bought a new RV and it's my first. Due to it having a fireplace it is a 50a unit it only has the one AC unit. My question is can i still plug into the 30a service and be ok for running most things? We will be cranking the AC but not much else normally. I assume AC and water heater would be ok. Should i consider when looking for an EMS? Any recommendations on a good EMS based on this having a 50a rv?
manderson2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

First, you should include what make and model you have so those that might have one or a similar one can better respond. When plugged into a 30 amp power source you will need to limit what you have running at anyone time. If your water heater is a gas/electric combo then when on 30 amps run it on gas. Same for fridge. Running the AC should be no problem with most other items. You may run into issues running the microwave and AC at the same time.

Can't provide any input on an EMS.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson222 View Post
I just bought a new RV and it's my first. Due to it having a fireplace it is a 50a unit it only has the one AC unit. My question is can i still plug into the 30a service and be ok for running most things? We will be cranking the AC but not much else normally. I assume AC and water heater would be ok. Should i consider when looking for an EMS? Any recommendations on a good EMS based on this having a 50a rv?
Yes you can plug into a 30 amp service and be fine for running the A/C and water heater. I have a 30 amp service at home and I can run both A/C units and it draws 26 amps and those will be the only things I run. I can run 1 A/C and the water heater and be around the same draw so you need to know what your running and how much draw they have.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson222 View Post
manderson222
On 30A shore power I would only run the 1 roof A/C unit.... not any other "high amp drawing" ... (like the refrigerator and water heater on 120V, and a toaster, microwave. hair dryer etc.), at the same time.

However using the TV and and 1 or 2 120V lamps/lights at the same time should cause no problems).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #5

We've had 30 amp service a couple of times, but we have 2 a/c's, so we could only run 1. I googled and found a listing of what each item pulls so we could dance around turning some things off to run others.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Were we normally hang out only 30A is available. We only run 1 AC, but it rarely stops. We are able to use the toaster or the MW, plus the refer tv and water heater run also without any problem. Best idea is try it, see what works for you.

Glenn
Old 09-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On 30a service typically one air conditioner plus another high current draw item can operate simultaneously. Toaster, hair dryer, microwave, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Sorry I bought the forrest river surveyor 251rks. It has the wiring for the second AC unit but doesn't have the unit installed. So if i am reading everything right i am good to go, just won't be able to run everything off the 30a but the basics ac/water heater i should be good.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You can run anything in your RV off 30 amps, you just can't run many of them at the same time. You'll find out what the balance points are by tripping breakers - no harm done.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
So if i got just got the regular 50a surge protector i should be ok on 50a and 30a hookup?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The problem with running those things on limited power is that they all operate off a thermostat. If a/c, water heater, and fridge are all on (in electric power mode), they may appear to be OK but eventually their thermostats will all be trying to turn them on at the same time and the site 30A breaker will trip. For example, if the heater is heating (about 12 amps) and the fridge is chilling (2.5-3.0 amps) and the a/c cycles on, it will almost surely trip a breaker. That's because a/c start-up demands over 20A all by itself, though only for a few seconds. But if the a/c is already running (a steady 11-12 amps), both the water heater and the fridge could start OK. Given that they all have thermostats, its unpredictable just what happens and when.

Thus the general advice to only run two things at one time. Even then, the timing might be wrong and you will still get an occasional breaker trip.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Another thing to consider when using 30amps is the CG pedestal. I was (according to my EMS) drawing less than 26amps total running only one AC unit but the circuit breaker on the 30amp CG pedestal kept blowing. On hot days when all the RVs are using their ACs you might not have 30amps available. Very frustrating. When plugged into 50amps we've never had that problem.

Oh, the 50amp PI surge protector still functioned properly when plugged into 30amps.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #13

In my opinion, an EMS is an essential piece of equipment for any RV. It offers much more protection than a surge protector and is basically low cost protection for lots of high priced electronics. Our EMS has saved our electronics numerous time. It will not even allow power into the RV unless it is adequate. Why not use the 50 amp. You can run anything you want in your RV with a 50 amp hook up.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
In my opinion, an EMS is an essential piece of equipment for any RV. It offers much more protection than a surge protector and is basically low cost protection for lots of high priced electronics. Our EMS has saved our electronics numerous time. It will not even allow power into the RV unless it is adequate. Why not use the 50 amp. You can run anything you want in your RV with a 50 amp hook up.
Which one do you recommend?

Obviously if i have the choice between a 30a or a 50a hookup i would take the 50a but if i am stuck with only a 30a space it's what i have ya know.