Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #1

5th Wheel Loses AC Under Bridge

lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Reminds me of that line from one of the Dirty Harry movies - "A man has to know his limitations."

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
He must be deaf like I never stopped.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #4

I witnessed that one time in Thermopolis, WY. The route from town to the State Park goes under a RR bridge which is about 11-12' high. This guy attempted to drive under the RR bridge with his 5er. The air conditioner hit and he stopped. Then_ he backed up some, got out and looked things over and hit it again! The second attempt to get under the bridge dislodged the A/C unit and pushed it back about 2' on the roof. He continued on, I suppose to the park. This world consists of all sorts of folks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

I have a label on my dash in 1 inch numbers that says "11' 11"". I try to avoid anything under 12' 6".
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
There's more on that website. Obviously more than RV'rs can't read the signs. Here's another 5-r that lost more than it's A/C units (vent covers, maybe even the skylight)....Notice the pedestrian on the left didn't even flinch or look over!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
We watched someone drive their class A under the south approach to the Mackinac bridge. He hit the bridge and came to a stop, got out and looked then got in and drove the rest of the way through ripping the AC of the roof (the bridge is marked 10'4"). We saw these people a little later taping a sheet of plastic over the open hole in their roof......
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #8

I saw a story about a truck driver who got stuck under a low bridge. When the police arrived they asked "are you stuck?" The driver's response was "No, I'm just delivering this bridge".

Until a few years ago, there was a bridge over I-5 in Mount Vernon, WA, with a 14'4" clearance. Vehicles struck it about once a week. After a particularly bad strike by a truck loaded with Jersey Barriers, which were knocked off the trailer all over the Interstate and cause collisions with several other vehicles, it was demolished and a new bridge with 16' clearance was built.

The off-ramp for Kincaid Street, just south of there, goes under a bridge with less than 14' clearance if you go west. Double-decker buses beware!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Eighteen wheeler

Some years ago a guy driving an eighteen wheeler in downtown Spokane, Wa got his trailer stuck under a bridge. He couldn't move so he deflated all of his tires(18) so he could move out from the bridge. The tires were ruined and he couldn't figure out why he lost his job.
Have fun!
Milt
Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have three bridges in our town that are clearly marked. At least once every 3-4 months, a truck will ignore (or miss) the sign and get wedged under one of them. $138 fine + court costs along with their picture on the front page of the paper.
MrIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #11

Man, I need to make the wife watch this video. Maybe she'll help me navigate more carefully in the future. If only those people would have had another set of eyes helping out.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #12

Will an insurance company cover peeling things off of the roof, or will they say it is your own fault for not being aware.
Or do they just consider it like any other error in judgement that causes an accident.
Just wondering.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #13

We know a nice young couple that cleared everything off the top of their brand-new fiver, AC, vents, antennas, skylight, etc on a low bridge.

Their insurance company covered it after they paid the $500 deductible. I don't think they'll do that again.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
Will an insurance company cover peeling things off of the roof, or will they say it is your own fault for not being aware.
Or do they just consider it like any other error in judgement that causes an accident.
Just wondering.
I suspect liability insurance will cover the repairs, minus deductible of course, at least for the first incident.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote