Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 07:04 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
The problem we had in our 5er it was under our master bed and when running I had a hard time sleeping with the vibration and noise. In our Class A, the generator is up front and the bed is in the back I can barely hear it running or feel any vibration from it.
In your 5th wheel: What fuel did your gen use? What engine mounts were used? Finally, what brand of gen was it?
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #86

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltam View Post
In your 5th wheel: What fuel did your gen use? What engine mounts were used? Finally, what brand of gen was it?

Onana 5.5 running on propane. The 5th wheel was generator prep from the manufacturer with the steel firewall surround mounted on Onan shocks mounts provided in the Onan generator install kit.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkelley View Post
We are struggling, trying to decide between a 5th wheel or a diesel motorhome.

This will be our first RV. We are contemplating going full time but for sure will be traveling for several weeks at a time.

What are your thoughts?
We owned a 40' Toy Hauler, traded it in on a 40' Diesel pusher, and then traded the Diesel pusher in on a 44' Toy Hauler. Expensive lesson but a lesson well learned. We couldn't be happier!
Sireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #88

Smile

FOR pobstlmo

Interesting. I bought my first MH, a 34 ft DP, in my 69th year. Next year traded for a 40 ft DP. We've put over 30K miles on it since August of 2013, and plan to go more next year.

We travel about half-time; we get out in the spring and get back to our condo before Thanksgiving. We catch up on neglected stuff and repairs, etc. during the winter. We are hoping to get our last two rental houses sold so we can spend the proceeds on an upgrade MH.

We are all different, but you may still be interested in traveling when you are my age (almost 75). I don't know what I would be doing if I couldn't do this.

Best to you,

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #89

If you can afford a diesel pusher, then that is the best way to go. While driving if your mate needs to use the bathroom, you do not have to stop in such an emergency. If you need to use the microwave, just turn on the inverter or generator and you can warm up anything you want while still the coach is in motion. If it is raining and you arrive at your destination, you do not have to get down to set up camp. Just park it and put the slides out and you are set. So there are many advantages to a motor home over a trailer. Had trailers before, but there are no comparisons to make. The diesel pusher I got is superior to any trailer. Just my honest opinion!
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #90

It all depends on your travel style. We own a gas coach, but fifth-wheels are great as well.

If you're going to be traveling around mountains, or if you need the extra space, a diesel would probably work.

We tried towing with our gas motorhome, and it's not as efficient, or easy, as towing with a diesel.
AbleFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #91

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Alot of info in this thread. I will just add. Before you pull the trigger take your time and look at as many as you can. My wife and I went to 4 big rv shows. We went through hundreds of units both M/H and 5th wheels. It narrowed down the choices. For us 5er was the best way to go. Been in it since August.

One more thing our floorplan is a 36fbts from Jayco. Bath and half. When it is all closed up we can open the whole right side of the refrigerator/freezer and the half bath. If I need something in the other bathroom we can roll over the bed to it.
We have a 3500 crew cab with a long bed. Kinda of a pain to park but haven't found a place yet that I can't put it (maybe have to get some exercise) but after driving all day walking is great.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #92

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
Alot of info in this thread. I will just add. Before you pull the trigger take your time and look at as many as you can. My wife and I went to 4 big rv shows. We went through hundreds of units both M/H and 5th wheels. It narrowed down the choices. For us 5er was the best way to go. Been in it since August.

One more thing our floorplan is a 36fbts from Jayco. Bath and half. When it is all closed up we can open the whole right side of the refrigerator/freezer and the half bath. If I need something in the other bathroom we can roll over the bed to it.
We have a 3500 crew cab with a long bed. Kinda of a pain to park but haven't found a place yet that I can't put it (maybe have to get some exercise) but after driving all day walking is great.

That is one of the main reason we had for purchasing a motorhome. We no use for a truck in our day to day lives and only used our truck to pull our 5er about 10% of the time. Most of our mileage was sightseeing, running errands, and grocery shopping. Why deal with a truck only using 10% of the time for towing rather than Jeep that's fun vehicle and opens up other activities while camping. We have meet lot great folks with jeeps and spent many hours on level 1 and 2 trails. If I need a truck in my day to day life it would more sense to buy a 5er or TT. There isn't any right or wrong answer just what works for you.

Twice now I wish I had my truck back to bring my granddaughter stuff to college but I just rent a small H-Haul and got the job done.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #93

I'll just cut to the chase, seems most topics are covered.

We had a 40' TH 5th Wheel and traveled extensively coast to coast. After 3 years upgraded to a 40' Class A Diesel Pusher, and lost my truck.

Had the MH two years! It just wasn't functional! Setting up computers would take up the entire dining room table. When our children would meet up with us on the road, the spare bed was between the kitchen and the bedroom! People we just met were reluctant to come inside for whatever reason, etc, etc.

Went back to a 44' TH 5th wheel and got my truck back! Couldn't be happier!
Sireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #94

Once a pickup truck man, always a pickup truck man!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #95

I can get along without my motor home, but as a Texan, I'm not a man without a pickup in the driveway...
Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #96

Diesel pushers make more sense then a trailer or 5th wheel. If you are a truck man like somebody posted, then tow a pickup behind your diesel pusher. I have seen many towing trucks behind their motor homes. And as far as to room inside, there should be no difference if you get a 45 foot diesel pusher with big slides vs a trailer or fifth wheel with the same measurements. Naturally you can buy a fifth wheel for a lot less. The whole structure of the fifth wheel is made of lighter materials then the diesel pushers. You look at the chassis on a diesel pusher and you look at the frame or I-beams on the trailers and you will see the difference of how much stronger one is over the other.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #97

I can't imagine a true pickup truck man allowing his truck to be towed anywhere.
Comparing a MH to a pickup truck is like comparing a semi truck to a car, they are not apples to apples and both vehicles serve different functions for different RV taste.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #98
PKI

The reason to get a fiver over a diesel pusher is cost. The MoHo can go pear shaped in a hurry. See the Cummins Valve drop threads. With a truck to pull the fiver, you have many more service options. You can live in the fiver while the truck is maintained or repaired or replaced.

The reason to get the diesel pusher is quality of life if you can afford it. Best is the situation where you travel from a home base and return to that place when repairs, maintenance or replacement is required. The toad needs to be substantial and not just an around town or off road solution. It may have to take you 1-2000 miles home while the DP gets rebuilt.

The down side to both - The DP roaring down the road smoking as it heads to the shop to have the turbo replaced after three years on the road. The fiver parked on a lot as your retirement home.

The up side to both - The DP is comfortable and self contained about everywhere. The Fiver can be glamping with space with room for toys and it parks with minimal maintenance when you do not need it.

Whatever you decide - understand that there are risks and rewards with the choice you make. Research and find the best solution for you and your lifestyle.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, diesel