Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #71

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes indeed this thread has covered a lots of ground. I wonder how many words per post we've gotten so far?

I really do love this forum because almost any question is sure to be answered from many different view points and experiences. Some good some well.. less good. I would never expect that on subjects like this any poster will sway a large number of readers to their ideas. I made my position back in post 49. But we can each read and take away whatever seems to help us to have a better RVing experience and that's part of the value of this forum.

As a 5th wheeler I have to approach this issue one way, while the MH crowd can do things I can't and I've learned some interesting stuff.

Happy and safe travels
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drive my 2015 Fleetwood Excursion around 64 mph which it gives me around 1900 -2000 RPM. I get around 11-12mpg. If I drive 75 mph I'll get around 8 mpg. I choose 64 mph I am in no hurry to get where am going. When I see other DP driving w/o a tow driving at 75 to 80 mph, those are the ones driving your coach back to the dealer where you bought it. :-) They are not worry about fuel, time, safety or how and in what shape your coach get to your destination. Once it gets there is up to service department to fix it and you to deal with service department. :-(
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To much time brother... now go get a beer. :-)
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Yes indeed this thread has covered a lots of ground. I wonder how many words per post we've gotten so far?

I really do love this forum because almost any question is sure to be answered from many different view points and experiences. Some good some well.. less good. I would never expect that on subjects like this any poster will sway a large number of readers to their ideas. I made my position back in post 49. But we can each read and take away whatever seems to help us to have a better RVing experience and that's part of the value of this forum.

As a 5th wheeler I have to approach this issue one way, while the MH crowd can do things I can't and I've learned some interesting stuff.

Happy and safe travels
I agree, I just am amazed at how many don't have a clue about the speed rating on their tires or about tires going bad by just aging out.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
No, 1.2 mpg isn't worth it to me. I only get about 7.5 mpg and that extra 1.2 mpg would save me about $32 per 100 gallons of gas. That's less than $100 driving from LA to New York. If that made a difference, I wouldn't be driving a motor home.

At 60 mpg, my coach down shifts constantly to maintain speed up even small hills and traffic is passing me at over ten mph faster than I'm driving. At 65 the transmission rarely shifts to go up hill and the traffic passing me isn't zooming by as I'm driving closer to the speed of traffic. That is much more relaxing to me than saving $32 a tank.
Ditto!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Ditto!

Yup!
I save 30 to 40 just by NOT using P/FJ and Loves
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd have to speedup to go 60 but I've got all day to get there and no were to go..I've never checked my milage but it's not about that with me it's about the journey not the destination
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
There are some states, California for example, where the posted Maximum is 55 MPH while towing. I don't know what threshold the Cops use but I have seen Motorhomes pulled over on the I5. I usually peg it at 62 and have not been stopped. Just one speeding stop and a ticket tosses all the MPG numbers and driving hours out the window. And I certainly don't consider being pulled over on the shoulder of an Interstate safe.
Not on topic, you are right, stopping any vehicle on a busy highway is an exercise of safety by the officer, but with the proper directions from the officer (if you listen), entering the traffic lane from the shoulder can be done safely (most people don't listen though), but an RV is another animal and that is why you seldom see RVs being pulled over. Remember the "most people don't listen though", the safety aspect of stopping an RV vs the "violation" is often out weighed by getting it back on the roadway safely. Not a "pass" but safety of the motoring public is the primary concern of the CHP.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
Not on topic, you are right, stopping any vehicle on a busy highway is an exercise of safety by the officer, but with the proper directions from the officer (if you listen), entering the traffic lane from the shoulder can be done safely (most people don't listen though), but an RV is another animal and that is why you seldom see RVs being pulled over. Remember the "most people don't listen though", the safety aspect of stopping an RV vs the "violation" is often out weighed by getting it back on the roadway safely. Not a "pass" but safety of the motoring public is the primary concern of the CHP.
Quite right about listening, but unless an officer is standing below my driver's window on the busy highway, and yelling loudly, I likely won't be able to hear a damn word he/she says...but I would be trying to listen attentively. Not a situation I want to be in.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In closing I loved the discussion as I learned a lot. I will keep testing my mpg as it saves money, keep the MH between the lines, and keep on trying to have fun.

I hope all of you do the same.

J n J
Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #81

Towing a fiver, there was a pretty big drop in MPG from 55 to 60 to 65. I couldn't stand 55 but 60-62 was nice. I always wanted to see 10 MPG and would run 60 or so to achieve it. Diesel was $4 a gallon and the tank was small.

Our small Chevy Class C will do 10 MPG at 65. At $2/gal for gas, I don't sweat it if I want to go 70 or more, and get 9.5. If it is windy, I won't fight it, I will slow down, because it just bugs me to get less than 9.0. It's a mental block I have. I have never been able to commit to a Class A getting 7 MPG. I just can't. Math be darned, it just feels wasteful to me personally.

Where I get stressed is on two lanes in Texas and some other western states. You can have a speed limit of 75 on winding, hilly roads. I don't like holding people up, but I'm not going much more than 60 in those conditions. So I pull over when I can.
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:06 AM   #82

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Which engine??
With my ISX I'm running 1350 rpm at 60 mph. Cummins site says that my best rpm for mileage is 1370 so 62 might be the sweet spot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #83

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
There are some states, California for example, where the posted Maximum is 55 MPH while towing. I don't know what threshold the Cops use but I have seen Motorhomes pulled over on the I5. I usually peg it at 62 and have not been stopped. Just one speeding stop and a ticket tosses all the MPG numbers and driving hours out the window. And I certainly don't consider being pulled over on the shoulder of an Interstate safe.
Well, I got a ticket for 12 over in CA, $468 worth. Had the cruise set at 60 which was fine on the flats but going downhill I found (the hard way) that the engine brake didn't some on till 7 over the set speed of 60, so 67 in a 55.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #84

At $2.25 / gallon, an increase of 1.2 MPG amounts to 2.1 cents per mile difference.

Personally, I'd go even 5 cents a mile to not be a hazard in traffic. ;-p

My life is worth far more than that.........