Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
YA, just the head stayed in fan the rest fell on hot burner tubes smelly hair and fried flesh just had to pick out burnt bones.
The mouse screamed along with wife and kids.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #16

Just for the heck of it, I set up 2 mousetraps beside the plastic wheel covers every night, almost assured of a "Snap" around 11pm, wait a few minutes, dump the cadaver and the local barn owl will come by and scoop it up. Put a tiny plop of peanut butter in the middle of the sticky pad and slide it under the trailer, no problem when it rains.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #17

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Unhappy My Mouse Experience

You weren't allowed to take your car when I went for Army basic training in August of 1973. So, I parked my 1972 Gran Torino in the back yard of my parents' house and told them to take it out and drive it every once in awhile. The car sat there unused about three or four weeks and finally they drove it over to my sister's house for a cookout Labor Day weekend. It was a rather warm day so they decided to turn on the A/C. Suddenly, a mouse emerged from the cowl, jumped up on the hood, scurryed around a bit and hopped off. My parents didn't think much about it but noticed that there was little air coming from the A/C registers no matter what speed they set the fan to and it had a lot of vibration.

When I came home for the car, they told me about it and I too noticed the same lack of airflow. So I dismantled the ductwork enough to get my hand inside the squirrel cage fan and pulled out what seemed like a ton of nesting material from that mouse. However, the worse part occurred when I turned on the fan to check the airflow and all the now loosened nesting material that I couldn't reach blew out the registers all over the interior of the car.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The first thing you need to do is stop up the hole that the electric cord and water hose go through. That is more than likely where they are comming in at. I use something that they can't eat, like steel wool or whatever. Then put a glue trap in the same bay with that. Most likely you won't have anymore problems with it. I have been doing this for years and not mice.
Bill
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
The first thing you need to do is stop up the hole that the electric cord and water hose go through.
Bill
X2, that's where my one and only(knock wood) mouse made his entrance, ran up the power cord and squeaked through the "U" shaped opening in the small door, then into the power center and from there, a free run around the inside. RRrrr, fixed that, cut the power cord, got a male and female 120V30A connector mounted on an aluminum plate that was bracketed and sealed right behind the power cord door. No more having to wrestle with the 30amp power cord either, undo the twist lock, roll it up, close the door, done.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
You guys are toooo much........

Keep it going
gallopn'go4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallop'ngo4r View Post
You guys are toooo much........

Keep it going
Well if you insist....
We were camping in Myrtle Beach. Drove ALL the way down from NY. First night there-getting ready for bed. Two kids are in the bunks out of the three. I am in the bathroom and felt something across my feet-I'd been brushing my teeth. Well bent down to pick up whatever I dropped- and it was a very WET field mouse sitting there! I let loose a SCREAM-this is from a Girl Scout leader too! Told everyone-GET OUT-GET OUT! Course my Hubby was about to fall out the recliner outside it sounded so funny. He put down 3 old-fashioned traps all had peanut butter on them. Well little critter was smart-he managed to lick it all off the first night. After that-we got 4 of them-3 nights in a row-ewww. They all were hiding somewhere from our trip down from NY. After that fun-well that little lizard that got in-between the screen and the window was nothing.

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Mice can get in almost anywhere but try and plug as many holes as possible. I use glueboards and regular traps inside with peanut butter as well as the old bunkhouse water trap method outside. The only time I don't set them up is if we are only going to be overnight. I have caught as many as 23 mice in 4 days, 9 in one night, 6 in one trap. I set one up close to each tire but run the ramps towards the jacks. The nice thing about the bunkhouse traps is they just keep on catching mice all night long. So what is a bunkhouse trap you ask? It's about a 2 gal bucket about 1/4 full of water with a pop or beer can strung horizontally on a wire from side to side so that the can spins easily on the wire. Slather peanut butter on the can and put about an 18 inch incline ramp up to the edge of the bucket with small dabs of PB on the ramp to coax them up. They then will climb the ramp and jump onto the can which spins and they fall into the water,end of mouse. This method is so successful that if I don't catch mice I know there are none around. Every mouse I catch had the potential to invade the MH.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
That sounds cool. Gotta build one!
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Here is a photo of one http://www.homesteadingwithozarkguy....t_moustrap.jpg
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
[QUOTE=kcaravelli;664374] All you need to do it wack the little mothers over the head a couple times. I really did enjoy killing the little things./QUOTE]

Man, you are ONE sick puppy!!!
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #26

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Maybe we're approaching this topic all wrong. Instead of just killing them, why not cook and eat them too?

CHAPTER THREE -- Mice as a Delicacy: the Significance of Mice in the Diet of the Tumbuka

BTW- Purrscilla presented us with a gift yesterday- a nice plump mouse.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a crack-up. From wacking the little guys on the head to waterboarding them ... I love it... Personally I prefer to shoot them with my pellet gun, if they are outside, and a standard steel trap inside. I guess I need more of an imagination.
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #28

Years ago, we had an old 1978 Coachman class A motorhome with the bed that pulled down from above the drivers and passengers seats. After it was in storage all Winter, my 5 year old Daughter and I opened it up. Of course, she wanted to climb up into her bed, so we pulled it down. Lo and behold, a mother mouse with all of her freshly born babies started scurrying around on top of the bed. The babies were hanging onto momma mouse's back like a bronco rider. I quickly ran into the house and got my kids BB gun. Since it was just a mouse, I only pumped the BB gun a few times and proceeded to let momma mouse have it. Unfortunately for me, 3 pumps was about two pumps too many and I shot through the mouse and took out my drivers side window. I have since determined that it is cheaper to buy a wagonload of glue boards than to replace a window. Lesson learned!!