Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 01:58 AM   #1

Question 78 yrs old looking for first RV for 5000 mile trip

I just sold my waterfront cottage in maine and am now planning on buying an RV in FL driving to CO for 2 months and then on to Alaska. I am nervous that I am taking on too much.

40 years ago, I rented a class C in Boston and drove to LA via all the national parks. No problems.

I am thinking 5th wheel
-no toad
-loads of storage
-truck is easily serviced vs possible long waits w class A or Class C
- great interiors....big shower and king size bed
-what is the downside????

A buddy told me that disconnecting and reconnecting is easy and will be quickly learned. True??? He said best to always disconnect before gassing up. He drives 6000 miles a year and he said very easy drive on highway, tows well just get enough truck preferably diesel.

I welcome your comments and suggestions
fl gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:13 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of what you get for responses here will be based on personal experience and individual opinion for different types of RV's. There is no right or wrong answer for this, but you will get lots of great info and experience shared in response to your inquiry here or you will find it on other threads. I have had 8 RV's over 40 years of every kind except a pop up trailer.

We've driven from west Georgia to Alaska as well as coast to coast and border to border several times. (Still can't figure out where I can access the bridge to Hawaii LOL)

Most everywhere in North America is going to be accessible by many types of RV's. Yes there are several areas that can be more rough, steep, restrictive or challenging than others. You can find many apps to help you plan routes for the comfort level you want. But if you find and choose the rig that properly sized and powered for your needs you will be fine.

In my case-- and others here will definitely have much different feelings- the least enjoyable and desirable type of rig we owned was the 5th wheel. There was simply too much mass and weight for us, and setting it up was not enjoyable- both on the exterior and on the interior. It was the most tense type of RV travel we have experienced of all our rigs.

We enjoyed the traditional travel trailers we owned but since we've retired we've come to prefer motorhomes. 4 of the rigs we've owned over the years have been motorhomes and as we age and are retired traveling extensively, the current motorhome we have is the most comfortable and easiest to control, set up and to travel in.

On 2 of the trips to Alaska we first took a truck camper. Never again. It worked good for short trips but for extended living and travel it was just too cramped and tight.

On the second trip to Alaska we took a 31 foot class A gas motorhome thoroughly enjoyed it with comfort, power and ease of travel and set up. It went to and from Alaska (over 10 K miles round trip from home) with great ease. It was an easy and enjoyable run too and from Alaska.

As we've aged we definitely prefer motorhomes. We have many other RVer friends our age that seem to enjoy their 5th wheels and travel trailers. Regardless of what you choose by all means DO IT. It will likely be one of the greatest experiences you could ever imagine! All the best!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #3

Hi American Rascal
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I have been a forum member for 12 hrs. How do I send you a personal message?
fl gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Here’s a link to a thread that will help you navigate the forum and post #9 explains pm’s.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ics-49134.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:15 AM   #5

First of all welcome aboard. Great to have you.
We have had several RVs over the last 50 some years. From pop ups, travel trailers and now a fifth wheel. The latter we like the best of all. It tows like it is on rails. Only in strong winds are we aware of it. The TT we had was all over the road in those conditions.

Yes, hook up is easy, I need a step stool to get stuff from the truck bed. Setting up is easy and I carry blocks and wide boards to help in levelling.

Refuelling, not a serious issue. Just watch the height as you pull up to the diesel pump. Yes I would highly recommend a diesel truck. Makes the drive so much more relaxing.

Age? Just a number. If you feel you can do it, go for it.
I'm 74 and we travel a good deal. Well, not so much this year. However we plan on up grading to a class A coach and looping North America every year until we can't. Only the good Lord knows when that will be.

Make sure you buy enough truck for your camper. The half tons won't cut it. Go for at least a 3/4 ton diesel. More towing capacity, more payload capacity and bigger brakes! The diesels also come with engine/exhaust brakes that are really nice on long descents.

Whatever you chose, enjoy your trip. Wish I was going with you. Dad and I drove the Alcan back in 1975. A fantastic trip.

Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hopefully you know how to properly backup a fifth wheel. I’ve seen many rvers over the years who have trouble backing up their rigs. It seems to be something you’re either born with or not.

We prefer the mh towing a small suv. We’ve pulled into parks in heavy rain. No need to do anything until the rain stops. I also like taking a short nap while on the road. No problem in the mh, in a rest area. Coach is cool or warm as dictated by the weather. We often stop in rest areas for lunch. Just easier to do in a mh. Plus we like to sightsee in big cities. Driving a big pickup doesn’t fit our style of rving.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl gramps View Post
Hi American Rascal
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I have been a forum member for 12 hrs. How do I send you a personal message?
Hi:
I click on quick links and there in the drop down list is the private message link. There is a send massage option to the left.

All the best

I'll send you one so you can easily reply if you'd like

Joe

a/k/a "americanrascal"
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Another thing to consider, if you have a passenger with regular stomach issues. They can use the facilities while underway, without difficulty or stopping.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:44 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Fifth wheels are good rigs, but be aware they have interior stairs, generally to the bedroom area. They also require big trucks, generally a 1 ton. We decided early on we did t want a fifth wheel for those reasons. While we have driven 3/4 ton diesels with our travel trailers, we found the trucks just too big to easily do some things like urban areas, lots of dirt roads, and parking was a pain compared to a SUV. We had travel trailers for years, but you can’t just pull off to the side of the road to eat and use the restroom as easily as a motorhome. We now have a Class A towing a SUV, and it hits all the buttons at this stage of our lives. As to your ability for the long trip, you know yourself best. My mother was old at 65, while my FIL was driving safely cross country at 80. Plan shorter days though since towing a big vehicle or driving a motorhome is more tiring than driving a car.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH. The 5er is a little more difficult to get set up than a MH. If you are in good physical condition then it shouldn't be a problem. The 5er is very stable on the highway. I would not go to the trouble of unhooking while fueling!

We decided to go with a MH after we retired and wanted to do a lot more long-distance traveling. That way we can just pull into a Wal-Mart, start the genny, and have all the comforts of a campground!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #11

If you've got the itch, scratch it. You can travel the Alcan these days with just about any rig. Shop around and get what you want. Biggest advise would be to pack extra food and buy fuel whenever you find it. Buy it even if you don't need it. The next place listed in the Milepost may be closed. Take your time, enjoy the journey. Be flexible, adapt your plans to whatever situation you face. Summer starts in mid-June up there so don't rush.

Downside is there are more folks RVing these days. Most of the time you can't count an a site at the end of the day even in the off season. Set up your rig so you can boondock as needed. We usually spending the night anytime after noon if we find an open site in a nice place. We hate to make reservations more than a day in advance, but sometimes we have to.

Last advise it to plan on a one-ton diesel truck. Same size as a 1/2 ton but way more truck. You'll be a lot less tired at the end of the day. The 3/4 tons aren't what they used to be.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #12
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
OP, I am your age. I now travel in a class C that is in my signature. I have had several TTs pulled with a ¾ ton diesel. A 36’ gas class A with a great floorplan. But it was costly to maintain. It had lots of entry steps just like a fifth wheel. It was my first MH and one entry door just did not feel right. Plus it was a pain when you had to GOAL (Get Out And Look) at just where things are at. Like the gas pump verses the gas cap.

Never had a fifth wheel. But a close friend did and his corner walk in shower was smaller than the one I have currently. He also had an RV king size bed. My rig has a real 60x80 queen bed. “RV” beds are shorter in one or both directions.

As far as storage goes the fifth wheel has lots of it. However after years of travel I have reduced the number of necessary “things” to the point I now have inside & outside storage with nothing in them.

Hooking up a car to a MH takes less time than it takes to prep a 5er for travel & hook up. I helped my friend several times with his rig. Now he did not have electric stabilizer jacks. So I may be wrong for newer 5ers.

One last thing. I bought my new second TT & a month later took off for Alaska. Just a great trip. Just go do it with whatever you purchase.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #13

OP, having had a two 22 ft class c lazy daze and as first coach. a 33 ft travel queen, a winnebago indian, a few 19 ft trailers and a natoional sea breeze.
My choice for traveling, living in unit is the class c lazy daze.
First, it is maneuverable. Second, it has all house comfort necesities including comfortable seating, bed, large windows, good storage .
Third i like the lower than average suspension that keeps the rig handling well and looks good.
Good luck in finding the rigjt MH for yourself
Nationalrv19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl gramps View Post
I just sold my waterfront cottage in maine and am now planning on buying an RV in FL driving to CO for 2 months and then on to Alaska. I am nervous that I am taking on too much.

40 years ago, I rented a class C in Boston and drove to LA via all the national parks. No problems.

I welcome your comments and suggestions
There is a lot of difference between 40 years ago and today at 78. However, only you can know your own capabilities.

My mother is 102. Five years ago she drove herself and 65 year old neighbors to church every Sunday. The neighbors were not able to drive at their age. 15 years ago she was white water rafting in Alaska.

Minimize risk. Travel with a friend. Consider a smaller TT if you are traveling alone.

Note: May be you should delay your trip to CO and Alaska. CO gets a foot of snow often at this time of the year. High passes can get many feet. Alaska is the same and getting through Canada can be a problem even without snow. Wait until next summer. On the other hand, at our ages we can't afford to wait too long.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote