Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drive directly to the tire shop and get new tires put on.... Do some research on motorhome tire blow outs. Watch a few videos on RV accidents due to blowouts. It's just not worth your life or someone else's. Even if you don't wreck your rig, you will most likely sustain several thousand dollars in damage due to the tire tearing up everything it comes into contact with before you can manage to get your rig stopped.
I like the peace of mind that I get knowing my tires are fairly new and dependable. New tires can fail too but why tempt fate?

Good luck with your decision, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #16

I thought I could get a few more years on my 8 year old tires with 8000 miles, when I bought my MH.

I made it from PA to FL and back to GA before they started coming apart.

Felt like I lost a wheel weight, even though I had balance beads in them.

Once aired down, this is what they looked like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469236359661.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	133901  
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #17

I'd replace them immediately, why tempt fate, then you can feel confident that you have good tires.

Ask the tire store how much they will give you for them, many dump truck owners run older tires with good tread on their rear axles, especially if they do a lot of work at construction sites where they can pick up nails, etc. If the tire store won't give you AT LEAST $75 per tire, take them home and advertise them on Craigslist. Ask $100 each. Stress the mileage, but also let them know the date code. Selling them will help defray some of the cost of the new tires.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #18

Thanks for all your input...going to replace them. Now to figure out the best replacement. I belong to FMCA and they have Michelins...going to do more research. This will be a significant investment!
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
6 yrs is close, But 9 yrs is -Driving on a Time Bomb ! Stored inside or not .
When they or one come's apart your life will be in your Hands on the Wheel. Do the right thing !
Agree. The only place I'd drive a coach with nine year old tires is to a tire dealer. We had a RF blow out last year on seven year old GY 670s. Sure, lots of tread left, the tread didn't help.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #20
isa

Triple E Owners Club
What to do ? In a quandary ?

I would at least replace the front or steer tires with new ones right now. The rears can wait until later.

My tires were exactly 10yrs. old when I replaced all six of them and inspection showed that they were still in excellent condition. I believe they were Goodyear 159 - 245 x 70 x 19.5 (F)
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Good decision !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:51 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostberg View Post
I know this has been discussed many times I am sure, but as a newbie with our first coach and I just saw that our 2008 CC Inspire has (1207) tires...YIKES! The coach has only 17,600 miles on it and it was stored indoors most of it's life. The tires have fabulous tread left and there is no sign of any sidewall deterioration (sun damage, etc). I just read an article saying RV tires are designed to last 9-10 years max...UGH!!! These are Goodyear 670's and when I drove it 3 hours home it seemed to be perfect...no shakes, pulling, thumping, or anything that would worry me. Was told they had been replaced about 4 years ago, never checked the dates on the tires....doh...

I have no issues with buying new tires ($5-6k most likely) if that is what needs to be done...ugh.

Advice please?

This is a strange land you have entered. All tire manufactures say that the rubber begins to fail after 10 years, no matter what. See if you can sell them to a trucker using that size. Try posting them on Craigslist. You might get a few buck for them.

I like Toyo tires myself. The final choice about keep or change is your choice. The damage and possible personal injury from a blowout is something to take into consideration.

Happy and safe trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #23

I've come to think of these replacement tires in a similar manner to insurance or Good Sam Club.

I don't really like paying on a schedule for a product I may never need, (or in this case see fail) but paying based on the calendar, is far better than saving the periodic charge, and dealing with the expense of having to pay on the spot, retail plus convenience charges instead.

It is like shopping for all your groceries each week at the 7-11 or the shop attached to the gas station on the highway. There are far more efficient places to get those groceries, and one blown out tire, (forget the danger) can easily cost you the cost of all 6, if you have to buy it and replace it on the side of the Jersey Turnpike, especially with the most likely wheel well damage and other undercarriage damage that may occur.

I choose to buy my groceries at the local supermarket, my tires at the local tire shop of my choosing, and pre-pay for any tow I may need with Good Sam.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires