Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
JimT,
Yikes, I forgot to mention I had steel valve stems installed on my toad.

I strongly recommend anyone placing Pressure Pro sensors on their toad to have steel valve stems installed.

JimT, a big . Your post is very valuable.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
JimT,
Yikes, I forgot to mention I had steel valve stems installed on my toad.

I strongly recommend anyone placing Pressure Pro sensors on their toad to have steel valve stems installed.

JimT, a big . Your post is very valuable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't put steel stems on my truck because of the way the rims are made. SO I have $200.00 worth of sensors sitting in my glove box.

JimT
Old 04-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hey JimT,
My GMC dealer told me the same thing. Nobody should tell me something can't be done. I went to work, with the GMC Tech. We looked in their data base and found valve stems that look like rubber, but have a steel insert running the length of the stem, inside the rubber. They are shorter than the standard valve stem.

Consider pressing the issue with your dealer's technical people. The GMC part number is 9591382. I would hope the stems would be an industry standard size and fit any brand wheel of similar size.

FYI: The above mentioned stems are on a 2005 GMC ENVOY XUV. 17" wheels. The tires cary the standard 35 PSI. Street weight of the ENVOY is 5074 lbs. The stems have performed flawlessly.

Good luck,
Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #18

Gary your mention of steel valve stems on a toad brings uo 2 questions. What kind of valve stems are appropriate for motor home and second my toad is a 2 axle 20' cargo trailer---should it also have steel? Thanks, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ken,
Being a DSDP, your coach should already have steel valve stems. It is my view that any wheel with Pressure Pro sessors should have steel valve stems. I think the sensors weigh about 1 ounce. That much weight on the end of a rubber valve stem could be constantly bending the stem as it rolls down the road. Constant flexing of the stem may lead to premature failure.

For vehicles with fancy wheels, there is also an esthetic reason. One needs to keep the sensor from rubbing against the polished wheel. If not done, there will be a black mark on the wheel. This mark is almost impossible to remove.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We moved the monitor around in the cab while underway and found the "sweet spot" where all the red lights go out. I will now find a way to mount it there. No need for additional the additional antenna or a repeater.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Steve,
Congrats on finding the sweet spot. I hope it continues to work for you.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #22

Gary, thanks for the photos (all of them!) I have a 2005 DSDP 4009 and want to get the pressure pro before we begin some "real" traveling.I like your idea of mounting the repeating antenna under the coach near the rear. Also I'm interested in your CB set-up. I was told that the antenna wire (from the front driver's side roof antenna) was coiled up behind my dash radio, but haven't taken our the radio to see for sure. I'd love any advice on how to best set up for CB. Plus, I have a cell phone booster (that I don't need in my current location.) How did you run the (and what kind of) antenna for the roof mount? Any details and photos of any of this will be greatly appreciated. OpaRon

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #23

Oparon...you should consider the wireless repeater for another 50 bux..have mine in the toilet room's electrical panel..very neat...unseen and perfect reception of my dozen sensors...even when the toad is over 100 feet away!!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Hi OpaRon,
The answers to your questions are:

Pressure Pro
I installed the external antenna kit, not the repeating antenna kit. When I purchased my external antenna kit, the repeating antenna kit was not available. I think the difference is that the external antenna kit is hard wired to the control panel. The repeater is a wireless connection to the control panel. Consider calling Pressure Pro and ask for their advice on what might work best for you.

CB Radio
Newmar did not prewire my coach for CB radio. All my CB radio components were purchased after market and installed by me. If you want to use the Newmar pre wired installation here is what you can do.

To determine if you want to use the Newmar prewired installation or not. The #1 thing to remember is satisfaction with your CB will be determined by the antenna and the antenna wire. They must be matched (ground plane or no ground plane) to each other and then tuned (SWR) to your radio and specific coach.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Call Newmar and determine if their installation is for a ground plane antenna or no ground plane antenna. If Newmar says ground plane, ask where the ground plane is located. If they say it is built into the roof, that is good. Ask what size is the gound plane built into the roof. If it is 6'X6' or more then you are okay. If Newmar says they use the metal frame as the ground plane, that ends the conversation. At least you will know what antenna wire (ground plane or no ground plane) Newmar used.
<LI>If you decide to use the Newmar wire, the small antenna they put on the roof will provide minimal satisfaction or dissatisfaction. Consider purchasing a larger antenna (length). The antenna should be top loaded. Purchase an antenna that is easily tuned. I prefer the Firestik antenna brand. The antenna must match the kind of wire (ground plane or no ground plane) Newmar put in your coach. The #1 thing to remember, when is comes to antennas is size matters. The top of my antenna is 14' 2" above the ground (4' antenna). Consider purchasing a medium duty antenna spring.
<LI>Assemble all the pieces, including the radio. FYI, the radio does not care about all the above mentioned items. The radio just needs an antenna and antenna wire that are matched to each other.
<LI>Now the complete installation needs to be tuned to your specific coach. You will need an SWR meter. Radio Shack sells them if you can not borrow one. One wants the SWR reading as low as possible and the same on channel 1 and 40. The reading must be under 3 or you should see a radio shop to determine what is wrong. To tune the antenna, move the antenna tuning device toward the channel with the lowest reading. Think of channel 1 as the bottom and channel 40 as the top of the antenna. If the SWR reading, on channel 1 is lower than channel 40, move the tuning screw down to shorten the antenna. Move in small increments. Start with two turns, recheck and go from there.
<LI>If you decide not to use the Newmar prewired setup, consider purchasing a Firestik no ground plane antenna kit. Click Firestik Antenna Company and then click on products. The kit in my coach is LG4-M2-B. For a picture of the antenna, click Antenna Picture.[/list]If you find there is a lot of background noise, when the coach is moving and there is no or very little noise when the engine is turned off, consider installing ferrite beads on the electrical wires for the radio and anything else that might produce background noise. I use Radio Shack part number 273-105.

Lastly I rigged up a way so the wife need not listen to the low class chatter on channel 19. I wear a head set that covers only my left ear. The headset is plugged into the external speaker connection.

Cell Phone Booster
I chose a cell phone booster that is wireless to the cellphone(s). The kit is from Digital Antenna DA4KSBR-50U. It is a 3 watt signal booster (repeater). The installation is unique to each coach (floor plan). All the work is running wire, and the usual voltage connections. Click these links for pictures:
Inside Coach Phone Pick Up Antenna
3 Watt Booster Behind Steering Column
Antenna Wire Routed Through Rear Cap
Rear Roof Mounted Antenna

I installed a switch in the dash (Newmar switch in a vacant switch location in the dash). This allows me to turn the booster on/off. This setup will make you very popular with your RV neighbors. The booster will handle hundreds of call at the same time. All one needs to do is be in line of sight of my front windows. It is interesting at rallies. I put outside sun shades on my windows. Before the end of the rally, there is almost always a congragation of people standing in the general area of the front of my coach, using their cell phones. They have no idea why they can make calls from this area. For me, I'm glad to help.

For any antenna wire that transmitts, never:
1. coil extra wire. Always loosely lay extra wire where ever possible.
2. change the length of the wire that comes with the kit.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 AM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Before the end of the rally, there is almost always a congragation of people standing in the general area of the front of my coach... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Sarasota they weren't on the phone,but were admiring your neighbor....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #26

GaryKD, Thanks so much for the details and photos. That was exactly what I needed. I'm real slow on the uptake w/anything electrical or mechanical, so printable instructions work well for me! And, as they say, "a picture is worth a 1000 words," is so very true in my case too! Again, thanks. It may be a few weeks before I get around to it (Co-Pilot's honey do list has to come first) but if I have problems I'm saving your email for future reference.

2005 Dutch Star (4009)
OpaRon is offline   Reply With Quote