Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

A Crappy Project That Ain't That Crappy.

As I prepare to pour concrete for my new motor home's parking pad, (relate to tread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/first...use-91857.html in my intro) I thought of installing the plumbing for a waste station.

Over kill but as you get to know me you'll find out I love complicating my life.

So I had to dig a 4'wx4'Lx4'D trench in order to have enough room to modify my sewer waste line.

I then took my grinder and with a diamond/masonry blade I cut the clay sewer line.

Installing the boot that fits clay pipe to abs 4" pipe.

Now comes the dump station puzzle.

After putting it together I have direct fresh water flush, eliminating the need to bring in a hose to clean the waste inlet; kind of like, after flushing your toilet.

Double hose hookup, one to hookup to the RV, the other for washing off any mess. Eliminates the need to run house/s from a hose spigot which is about 10ft away in my case.

The trap, which traps water and stops the sewer gases from blowing into my nostril when I first open the drain, is the over kill I'm talking about. But as I advertise: Quality, means doing the work right even one no one is looking.

I also took the time and installed the proper venting so I won't have to be smelling my own............well.....you get the point.

Before I dump the waste I can thread a 3" vent.

After all is said and done I'll have it encased with an 20" Rectangular irrigation Valve Box.

Any other ideas, suggestions or components I'll be needing that I may not know of, please post you opinion.

Thanks,

Leonardo.

OGTerror's Off Road Videos
OGTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
i did mine the easy way. There was a sewer man hole cover right next to my property line and all I do is ''lift the lid and dump''. Damn good looking work on your part friend.
Lets all thank a veteran for our freedoms this May 30
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent job!!! You'll pat yourself on the shoulder for years to come. I had a sewer connection built in when we had our house built. It is REALLY nice to be able to clean out the tanks at home.
I did not see an anti siphon valve on the water bibs. I think you want them if you are connecting to black and grey tanks.

I'm curious why you have two sewer connections. Does your RV have a separate connection for black and grey?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Excellent job!!! You'll pat yourself on the shoulder for years to come. I had a sewer connection built in when we had our house built. It is REALLY nice to be able to clean out the tanks at home.
I did not see an anti siphon valve on the water bibs. I think you want them if you are connecting to black and grey tanks.

I'm curious why you have two sewer connections. Does your RV have a separate connection for black and grey?
Excellent point you make, I will need to install an anti siphon valve before the shut off valve to correct the problem.

Good observation and thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding the 2 connectors, 1 is the outlet (air vent) the other is the inlet (main dump) as illustrated on this pic.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
OGTerror looks good you might want to put an air brake between the fresh water flush valve and the waste line. This would be required to meet code in my area. This keeps waste water and germs from ever being able to enter the fresh water.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Good work on the plumbing job, but yes, do add vacuum breakers. If I remember, the vacuum breakers need to be above the ground level so that they can't ever be covered by spilled liquid. I don't quite see the advantage of the fresh water line pointing down to flush the trap. How will that help to flush the black tank?
Bob
Bob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #7

Thanks for all the compliments and for suggesting the need of an anti siphon valve. Your compliments, suggestions, and constructive criticism is deeply appreciated.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob King View Post
Good work on the plumbing job, but yes, do add vacuum breakers. If I remember, the vacuum breakers need to be above the ground level so that they can't ever be covered by spilled liquid. I don't quite see the advantage of the fresh water line pointing down to flush the trap. How will that help to flush the black tank?
Bob
The best way I can illustrate it, is this way.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Looks great, and as the others have noted, the connection of the fresh water to the sewer is a real problem.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate even with a vacuum break.

However, I'm not a plumber and don't know the code.

BTW, I had extended the sewer line at my previous house to have a place to dump. Very convenient.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 AM   #10

Looks great but for code in my area your fresh water flush would need a back flow preventer in case of water pressure failure just like for sprinkler systems. Are you using smaller PVC than your existing sewer pipe?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Looks great but for code in my area your fresh water flush would need a back flow preventer in case of water pressure failure just like for sprinkler systems. Are you using smaller PVC than your existing sewer pipe?
You mean ABS?

If so, no; the existing clay has a bigger OD than the ABS but the ID on the clay is 4" just like the 4" ABS san-tee I installed.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #12

Heartland RV Club
Dang ,I need one of those...I agree on the fresh water and the sewer connection ...not good . that is why you always flush the black then the grey ,so you clean the flex tube and flush anything left out . Then I always flush the flex tube with water from a hose ,that would flush the p trap.

Great looking job. are you anywhere close to Tallahassee?

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Looks great, and as the others have noted, the connection of the fresh water to the sewer is a real problem.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate even with a vacuum break.

However, I'm not a plumber and don't know the code...
OGTerror, great work. Thanks for sharing. However, I tend to agree with Route 66 on the drain rinse - I don't know if it would meet code even with a vacuum breaker, but then I don't know the code either.

I know you're concerned about waste left in the trap, but if you're going to rinse your tanks anyway, wouldn't the last of the water be relatively clean? Even if it isn't, a bucket of fresh water down the drain would take care of it, especially with the cap on the drain.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
A anti-syphon should be installed 12' above the highest point the that system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob King View Post
Bob