Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 03:02 AM   #1

A decent battery jumper........

Hello everyone:
After throwing away my share of made in China battery jumpers,I'd like to ask for your advice.Is there a decent portable battery jumper that you have had good results from and is made in America?
Looking forward to your replies,many thanks in advance.
araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 04:53 AM   #2

Battery jumper pack or jumper cables ?

Here is some good cables.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...fc=MWP2IDP2PCP

Here is a jumper pack. It is heavy.

If you are jumping a 100 lb battery, a 40 lb jumper make sense.

http://www.tylertool.com/jump-n-carr...=tcbnes1224--1
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Don't buy the cheapo black and decker. Won't jump any vehicle I have only jumps the genny
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #4

Those jumper cables from Granger are made in China ��
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've had to of the $49 Harbor Freight jumpers. First one lasted over four years and this one is nine months so far. I use it to power the brake buddy, run the macerator pump, and jump the car. It has been good. The other one I bought from Sam's Club, forgot the make, was a piece of junk.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

We bought the Cen-Tech (item #62374) 4 in one portable power pack from Harbor Freight. I got it on sale with an additional discount for $65, I think the original price was $140, but it goes on sale all the time. It also has a 250psi Air Compressor, a work light, and a 12 volt power supply function.

It is very light weight, stores easily in a storage bay, and is easy to use and charge up. I recently used it to jump start the MH (having a battery issue) and it jump started in a matter of minutes. I could have just used my generator or plugged into shore power but I wanted to test this thing and it worked great. I would definitely recommend it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Community Moderator

op, don't throw it away yet... a few days ago after i bought a used magnum inverter i wanted to test it so i took out the jumper cables which were at the bottom of the tool box for years. bummer no power! further tested and discovered the jumper cables were not soldered onto the alligator clips so they didn't make a good contact. re-soldered and res-tested, everything were back to normal.

do just a little fix-up you will be in business.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Pursuit View Post
Those jumper cables from Granger are made in China ��
Almost everything is made in China.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Community Moderator

This one is one of the best !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1458776584.079272.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	122162
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been experimenting with the new lithium battery units that are roughly the size of a cell phone from the late 90s. In otherwords very small and weigh less than a pound. They work great for jump starting. On the lot we use them to run brand new trailers and fifth wheels when we are showing them to customers. This includes running slides out and running interior components while demonstrating a unit. They will run all day without a charge. We have run into a few that will trip the internal breakers on the jump unit while running out slides, wait 5 seconds and they continue to move out. The problem is with the charger not the rv. All that being said, if a consumer were going to use one to jump start a vehicle, they are head and shoulders over the old heavy units and in a lot of cases cost less, somewhere around 140.00

Here is a link to one

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Safe-168...=jump+starters
Old 03-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #11

Check your local Napa store. Napa seems to have a good selection of heavy duty and commercial items of all types.
Next would be to search Amazn for heavy duty jumper cables. I am dubious of the little battery packs with built in jumpers. I just don't think they will have to omph to crank over an 8.9 liter diesel.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #12

The only one I would buy is the ES5000. I have sold aftermarket auto parts for two decades. This one will last.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #13

It took some doing but years ago I found some decent, heavy wire 18' length, jumper cables at NAPA.

Finding a decent length is the hard part.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #14

Jumper cables or jump box?

Lots of options for cables limited by budget.

One addition is an Anderson plug connected to battery.

It is common for tow rigs and cop cars.

You get either one good set of large cables (budget 50 bucks )

Or two sets.

Cut one set of claws on each and place the Anderson connector on to allow them to be connected together.

You also can use some of one to connect to battery and mount connector in front of vehicle.

Now you have a quick plug in to the vehicle with clips to connect to something else or connect both together to jump the guy parked behind you.

We did this to jump generators that we would tow for deployment that sometimes would have a low starting battery.

Jump boxes most have small VRLA or gel cells.

And not all same.

Some have a 10 amp hour battery and others have larger.

Look at battery size.

We picked up one at yard sale that had compressor and battery.

Compressor shot as was battery.

Online same exact size battery came in 17, 18, 19. 20 and 22 amp hour ratings for close money.

Had a 16 amp battery now is 22.

Removed compressor and added a panel dc meter in its place to show voltage on clips.

Tested by starting diesel (16 hp) yard tractor with bad zero volt battery.

For purchase look at battery type and capacity and unless you need a little lousy compressor avoid units containing them.

Tags
battery