Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

A Good Experience w/Progressive Following Accident

After >50,000 miles of driving my 40DP without a scratch, on our last trip that record came to an end.

While crossing the Bourne Bridge into Cape Cod, I craned my neck to get a look at a big barge passing under the bridge and drifted into about an 18" high concrete curb on the bridge.

It was a glancing blow but it doesn't take much contact with a concrete barrier to make a mess of forty feet of full body paint.

I've had Progressive insurance on the coach since I bought it in 2007. As with others, I've put up with annual increases in my premiums and never had to test their claims process.

I contacted them right away and since we were on the road... 2500 miles from home... we agreed to just wait until we got to Arizona to have it fixed. The storage facility I use is part of a large RV Body shop which is an authorized Progressive shop.

Repairs on the coach were completed this week and they did a great job of repairing and repainting all of the storage bay doors and wheel panels on the curb side of the coach. It took very little involvement on my part and due to Progressive's "disappearing deductible" it didn't cost me a dime out of pocket. The final bill was $5,700.

I know there have been some reports of negative experiences with insurance companies following accidents but wanted to share mine to provide a little balance.

Now if I can just keep it between the lines for the next 50,000 miles.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good to know. Glad it's fixed, Rick.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3

$5700 sounds like a good price for that much work.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Rick, these things happen. Good to hear it all turned out good without a fight. I find I tend to drive where I look more so these days, and have to pay a little more attention. I have an excellent alarm system for that mounted in the co-pilot seat.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Wish I could say I was having a good experience with USAA on my Homeowners.. Been since Oct 22 and I still dont have any estimates or paper work from them. And, they are disputing some of the claim..

Just might go back to State Farm for everything again.. Was with them for 19 years with 6 claims.. Little pricey, but ALL my claims were handled in less than 30 days. Complete. Done. Finished.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
$5700 sounds like a good price for that much work.
Yeah, I didn't know what to expect with three color full body paint and clear coat requirements, etc. If I read their paperwork correctly, they discounted the $5700 down to about $4600 for Progressive. I guess that's how they get to be an "authorized" Progressive provider.

At any rate, these guys did a good job, on time, and were easy to work with.

Paint and Body RVs Cars Trucks | Full service Auto Body Shop

Sigh.....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick O - Not to be cynical or anything, but I'll be interested to hear your opinion come next renewal. Here's hoping they take into account all those accident-free years and don't jack it up 20% or more.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad everything worked out. They were great with my claims as well BUT come the next bill it was almost double the previous one. Good luck!!!
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #9

Sure hope your next rates don't go out of bounds with insurance . At fault crashes usually end up jacking up the price on next premium. Hope you escape it.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I have an excellent alarm system for that mounted in the co-pilot seat.
I am the same way when hubby is driving! I am always in the passenger seat, i dont relax on the couch (unless we are on a road like 199 in CA. ) The way I see it is i am driving too..i just don't have the wheel.

Rick, glad you got it all sorted out. Its nice to see a good post on this. I too go through progressive
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #11

One more positive voice for Progressive. We were the victim of a hit & Run at the Grand Canyon last year that did over $3000 in damage to the rear valance and one compartment door. Had the work done locally and other than our deductible Progressive paid for the repairs with no hassles. In fact after the first meeting with the adjuster we never talked to Progressive again, they took care of everything with the body shop. Even if they do raise our premiums I will stay with them after service like that.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I'd be shocked if my premiums don't take a jump at renewal time. I might just have to change providers if I can find someone who will offer teaser rates for the first year... in spite of the accident.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Rick, Sorry to hear about your incident on the bridge.
I know that bridge well... The lanes are very tight and the curb is incredibly high.
I'm glad Progressive did well for you, theyv'e been good to us so far but they sure love to raise those rates every year.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:27 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Rick O - Not to be cynical or anything, but I'll be interested to hear your opinion come next renewal. Here's hoping they take into account all those accident-free years and don't jack it up 20% or more.
Ditto. My son's car had damage from hitting a pothole. He needed to replace a CV joint and some other suspension parts. He had Progressive. His insurance rates went up due to a "chargeable" accident. No ticket or anything, but Progressive said if he hadn't been driving down that road the accident would not have happened, therefore it was his fault and chargeable. I dropped my Progressive RV coverage because of his experience. Insured with GEICO for everything and cannot be happier with the way I am treated, even though I have experienced two claims with them this year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote