Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our MH does not have one, but my sister's TT has one. When we get together, if it is nice out the outside kitchen is open. They keep the area stocked with many of the things you'll need to cook out there so you aren't moving stuff back and forth - and always have it in the place where you AREN'T cooking.

It really keeps the traffic inside down, cleaner. And I think it makes the cooking faster, more fun - since the cook is part of the action.

Camping to us = outside. If the weather is nice (ish), we are outside.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #16

Our TT that we just sold had one and that is pretty much the only place we cooked. Kept the mess outside and having a sink outside to wash your hands (especially after handling raw chicken) was a major benefit. Having another small fridge dedicated to beverages helped keep the load off the indoor fridge. It was fantastic and I will miss it in our new coach. I will add a portable stove top to my portable grill so I can still cook bacon and other stuff outside.
Pointerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:40 AM   #17

A question about outdoor kitchens

When we bought our current TT, it had an outdoor kitchen which I thought was unneeded. However after owning the rig for 1.5 years, I've totally loved using it.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:14 AM   #18

Our last trailer had an outdoor kitchen with a bar fridge, two burner propane stove and sink with hot&cold water. I really enjoyed it. I just had to set up my Weber grill next to it and I was ready to go. We like to cook outside when we can.

Our Bay Star doesn't have an outdoor kitchen. So, I bought a nice compact aluminum table which has enough room for the grill and a Coleman two burner propane stove. I really don't have a good compartment for an exterior bar fridge, so I use a cooler chest when camping during the summer months when you want cold drinks easily available under the awning.

If I were purchasing another rig, I would consider getting a rig with an outdoor kitchen if the rig met our other criteria i.e. quality and floorplan are certainly a bigger priority.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
In my experience, outdoor kitchens are great when you're camping with a pile of kids. You're outside with them as you cook, the massive piles of steam and smoke that cooking for lots of big eaters generates doesn't fill the RV, the mess stays outside . . . .

For one or two people, I think I'd just cook inside.
We are finding this to be the case for us too. When our four children and their friends traveled with us, I had equipped an extensive outdoor cooking setup. Who wants all that heat and smell inside?

Now that it is mostly just the DW and me, we find ourselves cooking inside more and more.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:41 PM   #20

I just ordered an Ekko motorhome with the tailgate (outdoor kitchen) option. It comes complete with a two burner gas range, a sink with H&C running water and a large compressor fridge / freezer.

I like that I can cook outside and not make a mess inside.

I especially like having the extra fridge/freezer that I can just use as a freezer. That will add so much more space for frozen food storage.👍

I plan to replace the gas range with a 17 inch Blackstone grill.
Sblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Our outdoor kitchen consists of a small gas grill, a Coleman gas stove, and Coleman gas lantern on the table. Has worked great for many years.
But then, I'm old school.

Haha, Same Here! But these days I use a Coleman RoadTrip (propane) grill. I have a griddle I can swap out for the grates if needed. I still use my old white gas Coleman lantern. I hang it from a tripod.

We have a travel trailer that I suspect is smaller compared to most members of the forum. If the weather is nice, we like to cook outside. More room actually than inside. Particularly if we put the grill by the picnic table.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:07 PM   #22

46 years of camping and have NEVER cooked inside.

My wife and I have camped for 46 years and have NEVER cooked inside.
Our campers have always been kept free of odors and grease as I am chief cook and have always cooked outside on the end of a picnic table.

We have a new camper ordered and opted out of an outdoor kitchen as I have my outdoor "kitchen" down to a science.

Propane Stove, Propane Grill, and cast iron griddle.

Wife handles the dishes so all is is good!
edwardavion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #23

We have one and enjoy it. When the little ones are sleeping, it’s easy to go to the fridge outside and grab a drink. I also use it to store the griddle but have a separate table to cook with it. The propane quick connect is right there so I can easily use it with my griddle. I like having the cabinets for grill and griddle tools and the sink to wash hands. It’s a nice to have, but not a need.
madisonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:14 PM   #24

We have one on our 2020 Primetime Tracer. Initially I didn't think much of it, but it's really grown on me and I now cook outside as much as possible. We use the refrigerator for extra food storage but it's rarely operational as a refer.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:53 AM   #25

There is one on my GF's 5th wheel which we keep on a NW FL bayou. Has the 120v dorm refer, some storage and 2 burner stove. When I boil crabs or fry fish I use it instead of inside. Cabinets large enough to hold the boil pots and grill accessories. I also can keep a sizable quantity of beverages for all ages out there and people don't have to trek in and out. I'd swap an outdoor TV for a kitchen any day.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #26

Its definitely a personal choice. My last 2 have had outdoor kitchens and I will never go back to one with out. Both the bumper pull Keystone and my class A Winnebago had an outdoor kitchen consisting of a sink to do dishes, a 2 burn stove plumbed in with quick connect, a swing around bbq grill, and a mini fridge. All the mess stays outside, all the dishes stay outside, I never used the inside stove or oven on either. I go camping to be outside not be in the RV. This includes while I cook. Most places here in Az don't allow open flames so this way is much easier for me. Just my 8 cents worth
jeepfamRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #27

My coach almost has an outdoor kitchen. It has a mini fridge, sink and cabinet. The mini fridge is great for beverages and the sink is a convenient place to wash BBQ utensils. But to me, it is almost as worthless as an outside TV.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:04 PM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller806 View Post
The wife and I were watching Going RV the other day and it seamed that a lot of people wanted an outdoor kitchen. We have only been RVing for a few years now, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone using one. I personally don't see the need for one, but to each his own. When we cook outside it is on our grill or sometimes an open fire. We were wondering if anyone actually uses them, or are they an option that looked good but is seldom used.
Hello Miller806, We don't have our TT yet but an outdoor kitchen is one of the things on our must have list. Our prior experience is with a pop up and we cooked exclusively outside. We enjoy being outdoors and I love outdoor cooking (anything from a campfire and a stick to cast iron Dutch ovens to a giant offset smoker). Additionally, cooking inside causes a big mess (in a pop up anyway). So I think we will get a lot of use from our outdoor kitchen...

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outdoor