Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

AAAHHHHH, whats that noise?

Its just my 11 year old playing her Nintendo DS.

Sirens, explosions, Horns, and a symphony of unexplained noises that cause you to jump out of your seat when driving.

Is this normal or am I just wound too tight.

And yes she has earphones, but the giggles make me think she may be doing it on purpose.

Oh well its not nearly as bad as wondering how to react to my wifes gasp, scream, or explicative. WHAT HAPPENED? oh you dropped an ice cube, right!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Is this normal or am I just wound too tight.
Our grand son plays in his room and causes a 5.0 on the Richter Scale ...
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #3

I am with the 'if I can hear it in another room it's too loud and you'll turn it down or lose it' school.

But then I'm also the guy that removed her bedroom door because when she was displeased she'd slam it, hard.

And when driving I'm even more critical and intolerant of strange noises.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #4

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
I am with the 'if I can hear it in another room it's too loud and you'll turn it down or lose it' school.

But then I'm also the guy that removed her bedroom door because when she was displeased she'd slam it, hard.

I like it!! My kids never slammed their doors, but that is an awesome solution. And I've learned while driving with DH that if I am alarmed about something, I'd better not gasp or yell. Did that one time in the dinghie and nearly caused an accident. I have ridden in alarming conditions with my hand over my mouth. Literally.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
...Oh well its not nearly as bad as wondering how to react to my wifes gasp, scream, or explicative. WHAT HAPPENED? oh you dropped an ice cube, right!

Haha. Glad this isn't just me. We had just left for a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway, were driving along listening to the music of the road; engine, tires... lost in thought... when all of a sudden my DW GASPS LOUDLY. Instinctively, I slam on the brakes thinking she saw something I didn't. I say "WHAT!?!". She says, "I forgot my makeup bag."

I bet my front axle weight increased 10% after that incident.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi All:

BOY!....does this sound familiar. Those bumps, thumps, squeaks, sudden gasps, rattles, rig alarms, cell phone ring tones, outside noises, etc., etc., sure keep the driver of one of these things on their toes. Don't know for certain, but I think those sudden gasps or those "OH NO's!" from my DW are the worst. The last one was a few days ago, and went something like.....'OH NO!!' (What's wrong?--dang near hit the truck on our right side).. 'I forgot to mail my sister's birthday card'. Wonder if all these sounds we react to get worse with our age? Oh well, since my days on board ships in the service I'm convinced that listening to those sounds is a wise thing to do, but, those "Oh No's", and sudden gasps weren't part of that learning experience.

Steve & Lynette
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:

Number 1 way to get a teens attention, especially if it is a girl.

I know what all my vehicles sound like and if I hear a strange noise, I find out what it is. I don't lend out my vehicles because if the person I lend it to hears a strange noise, they won't have the smarts to stop and find out what it is.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My hubby's sneezes nearly blow the roof off our coach. But they sure do keep me alert and focused.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Been there, both as a kid and a parent.

Love it!

Yep!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #10

I was driving in my commuter car to work the other day and heard sirens. Started slowing way down and looking for the emergency vehicle. Then realized it was the song playing on the radio!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
My Gkids (3) play their various devices and games as we travel. For the first 2 years, the sudden and varied noised got me rattled a bit. Now I'm used to it. I don't like it, but I'm used to it. I know the noises my coach makes. For 2 months a year I have no way to determine if any new noises have started up.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #12

Here's one the DW yelling at me to slow down
because on the Rand 7710 Officer George
sorry can't remember his last name, came
up on the bottom of the gps she though
he was behind us It was a bridge we were
going over dedicated to him.
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

It's a shame folks with our point of view are so often misunderstood.

I don't think I could keep the coach between the lines with a video game going on within earshot. My grandsons are 6 and 3 and crazy about our Wii game. I can only enjoy watching them play for so long before I have to go hit golf balls or something... between the game noises and their shrieks I can only take so much these days.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #14

When we had Foster kids if the door was slammed it went into the garage until they could learn to respect the door. If it was the bathroom door it went out and a sheet was hung in its place. These things do work. Most of the foster kids had never been camping or RVing and were a lot of fun outside the city. One girl said that I could turn off the campfire. I explained how we had to put it out before going in to sleep.