Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 05:54 PM   #15

Thumbs down

I got my first piece of mail from AARP weeks before my 50th birthday. 12 months later I got a renewal bill for a membership I had never signed up for. It took threatening a lawsuit to clear that out of the way.
For years, I got 3 or 4 pieces of junk mail from them every week. 13 years now, and I still get 3 or 4 solicitations from them every month. Ain't no way I'm going to sign up to pay for all that junk mail.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 06:05 PM   #16

We signed up for AARP for a couple of years and then dropped it. Have not missed it.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$16 a year....I know they spend that much just sending me junk mail and I'm not even a member.

I hate to think how much MORE junk mail I'd get from them if I joined.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:16 PM   #18
PKI

We are members of AARP, but our return is mostly the information and advice in their magazine. We also want to support AARP efforts on the part of seniors. We occasionally use the card to discount an RV campsite, but usually AAA or just being a senior gets the same reduction.

GoodSam, Passport America and KOA all pay back the membership costs for us. Suspect that will not be the case for everyone. We think we will get value from the Harvest Host program, but have not joined yet because our travel remains on hold.

If you do not have the "America the Beautiful" or similar National Park discount card, look into it. Free or half price is a very good budget saver. A $10 COE site is hard to beat and they usually have a great view.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #19

The DW and I have been members of AARP since we turned 55 . We appreciate their outreach and support. The research and recommendation by AARP of United Health Care has been a huge benefit to the DW and I .

However , I can certainly understand why some people have an issue with any organization that wants to be your advocate at local , state and federal levels . I mean who do they think they are doing due diligence for their members , offering numerous discounts , critiquing offers and investments. Basically looking out for its members best interests.

Please excuse the sarcasm , but if people want to share , let's share.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Lol, I've been getting 'join' AARP junk mail since I turned 40... They must be trying to wear me down early [emoji16]
A nummber of years ago I was in a dentists office and a new-to-the-area person was filling out the paperwork. The desk clerk asked the new customer for her age... she answerd "Old enough to get the AARP mailings but not old enough to be interested."

Half the people in the waiting room giggled.

Mike
Old 12-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We get the auto insurance discount and we are not AARP members. We have to pay a bit for the course, but membership is not required to take it.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:05 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
I will pay the extra whatever before AARP gets a penny of my money.

X2
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
Old 12-10-2020, 05:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsipe01 View Post
Only advantage to AARP we've found is medicare supplemental insurance discounts. Oh, and a free donut.
Yep you have to join AARP (at least for a year)to have their supplemental insurance thru United Health Care.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #24
IC2

I joined, hoping that their health insurance along with a few discounts would make it worthwhile. Nope, their United Health supplement was way more expensive and when I polled a couple doctor's offices found that they either didn't take United or said that they had a problem with timely reimbursement. Other discounts - either didn't exist where I went or weren't worth the couple bucks saved. 15 years later. I'm still getting their junk mail. Then, the crowning item is that their political and lobbying activities are questionable.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:30 AM   #25

Discount at Denny’s
Old 12-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew1 View Post
Discount at Denny’s
As I posted earlier, 10% off the bill at some restaurants. We don't go out often, maybe once a year, but that one visit to Outback nets around $5 off the bill. We're thrifty with the menu so I suspect the savings would be more for most who eat there.

I also mentioned phone earlier. Just now checked and see that membership nets us a discount of $2.50 a month on our service. Not much, but if you add it up for the year, the savings exceed the annual membership cost.

We only use a few of the discounts, mainly because I forget to use them. I imagine some getting a lot of benefit from the many that AARP offers.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
As I posted earlier, 10% off the bill at some restaurants. We don't go out often, maybe once a year, but that one visit to Outback nets around $5 off the bill. We're thrifty with the menu so I suspect the savings would be more for most who eat there.

I also mentioned phone earlier. Just now checked and see that membership nets us a discount of $2.50 a month on our service. Not much, but if you add it up for the year, the savings exceed the annual membership cost.

We only use a few of the discounts, mainly because I forget to use them. I imagine some getting a lot of benefit from the many that AARP offers.
Denny's ...15%
All other restaurants that accept AARP are 10%

AARP is a non-profit organization and as such makes NO donations to either 'Party' or have a 'PAC'
Old 12-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #28

Maybe check out AMAC if you don't like the position that AARP has on issues. I'm not a member of either, yet.
Closed Thread