Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Abandoned RV or TRAILERS

I live in the suburbs, a housing tract then a break open land then another housing track. in the last 6 months 2 rv's were abandoned on the street just outside of my neighborhood and not on side streets but the main road that passes by the neighborhood. So I say to myself what an [moderator edit]. but then I wonder why didn't they drag it to a homeless encampment ? better than cardboard and plastic tarp. Or would that be like adding insult to injury ? think after a week or two the city had them towed away. they both had no licence plates and one still had a broken tow strap laying in the street. they were both nasty like been sitting out in a field for a dozen years.
riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your going to see a lot of that in CA.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

They are drug dens or dealers.
Big problem in Seattle
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Neither the city nor a private charity can afford the potential legal liability of providing substandard housing, even though it would be far better than anything they now have. One of the many foibles of our legal system and gov't. We have "Good Samaritan" laws to protect somebody wh attempts to provide medical aid after an accident, but it doesn't cover trying to help the homeless or starving.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Crush and flush them!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Your going to see a lot of that in CA.
You are correct on this. About a year ago I flew into LA for work and I simply couldn't believe the homeless issue and the amount of trailers that lined all the streets. I was there for a day and a half and it was the oddest thing for me to see. I travel all over the country for my work and I have never seen anything like it.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
-THREAD WARNING-

Several posts were removed for violations of the Community Rules here for being partisan political.
This is prohibited and baiting to others.

Any political posts after this warning will be summarily removed.

Thanks to all who posted within the rules.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #8

Unfortunately, it’s getting somewhat expensive to dispose of a trailer in many areas. At one time scrap dealers would pay you for one. Now you’re looking to spend several hundred dollars depending on the region you’re in. The air conditioner, batteries, propane tanks, hydraulic systems, tires etc have to be disposed of through appropriate haz waste process, some like like the batts may have value. Next there is a lot of garbage to dispose of prior to getting at any metals that may be of value.

As for folks who can’t dispose of their junk in a responsible manner.... Just remember it only takes a few bad actors to make the whole rv, or any other group look bad to where folks feel inclined to take actions against the whole of the group. Do what you can to not be the bad example
Old 11-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Something to keep in mind, if you sell an old RV. If you even think the buyer may just be looking at it for parts, Keep a record of who you sold it to. If they do not transfer the title, and take the parts they want, and dump the rest, it is still in your name, and you can be on the hook. Same thing with cars, except scrap cars still have scrap value, so cities are not as likely to go after the registered owner for disposal fees.

Tags
trailer