Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #29

15% loss on a 50W load? That's 7.5W. Watching TV for an hour is a little over 1/2 an amp hour.

At what point is it cheaper and easier to add a couple of extra 6Vs than chase efficiency gains of 1/2 amp hour per day or something?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
... surely you have something better to do than spend time on the internet...
Careful now !!!
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
[moderator edit]

First off, see how the TV warranty or the warranty on anything you buy works out if you cut off the power cord and adapt to twelve volts. Most people are not comfortable with how TV's or appliances work electrically to start cutting them up.

Second, the additional cost for a 12v TV, versus a 110v TV, is probably enough to buy one or two additional batteries for your RV. If you pay attention and REALLY understand how inverters work, then you size them to the job and have minimal loss.

Many years ago, we were forced to run 12v TV's and appliances in our RV's and the selection was slim and usually a pretty poorly made product. Why would I want to go back now and buy a 12v TV with few options, poor quality and high prices.

For me, I'll stick with my generator and large battery bank giving me the ability to choose from any TV or appliance brand, saving me money while giving me the opportunity to select a quality product.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
[moderator edit]

For me, I'll stick with my generator and large battery bank giving me the ability to choose from any TV or appliance brand, saving me money while giving me the opportunity to select a quality product.

What happened to the OP? Haven't heard any rebuttal. Out buying some more batteries?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
24 inch Insignia at Best Buy is 12 volts and $150.00 CAD (dirt cheap in US $)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10432646.aspx?

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
[moderator edit]

First off, see how the TV warranty or the warranty on anything you buy works out if you cut off the power cord and adapt to twelve volts. Most people are not comfortable with how TV's or appliances work electrically to start cutting them up.

Second, the additional cost for a 12v TV, versus a 110v TV, is probably enough to buy one or two additional batteries for your RV. If you pay attention and REALLY understand how inverters work, then you size them to the job and have minimal loss.

Many years ago, we were forced to run 12v TV's and appliances in our RV's and the selection was slim and usually a pretty poorly made product. Why would I want to go back now and buy a 12v TV with few options, poor quality and high prices.

Off hand because many years ago the TV used tubes that requires higher than line voltage to run well. Today's TV runs on around 12 VDC internally. Parts of it are at significantly lower voltages.

The trick is not to look for a 12 V TV. Instead look for one with a separate brick type power supply that puts out 12 VDC. Most of those don't advertise that as it is not considered important to the consumer.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #35

Not a TV watcher but my darling and I full time and some days we watch a movie at night. I use the inverter to power. I would prefer a 12v tv like originally came in my trailer. I believe the 12v would be easier since I always have to find and dig out the inverter. Move stuff out of the way and set it up. The problem is that I like a smart tv with Netflix and other video sites loaded on to tv. I haven't been able to find the 12v smart tv. It doesn't even have to be the highest quality resolution since I can't tell a regular cd between a blu ray with my eyes.

I believe enough of us just don't mind enough to worry about how the tv draws power. My dad drives across town to get gas for a few cents cheaper, he doesn't mind that he is only breaking even after subtracting the two gallons to get there. He says he just likes the drive and the away time from mom, lol.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Insignia proves my point, a 22" TV screen, smaller than most desktop monitors and it is only 720p. It's a piece of junk and too small to watch unless it's in your lap.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #37

My 2000 watt inverter runs 2 flat screens, surround sound, pathway X2, 2 Wally receivers, LED lights 120v, Microwave, electric coffee pot, C-Pap machine, charges tools and so many other things that make our boondocking trips as comfortable as we like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_142104.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	183973   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_142107.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	183974  

2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The trick is not to look for a 12 V TV. Instead look for one with a separate brick type power supply that puts out 12 VDC. Most of those don't advertise that as it is not considered important to the consumer.
That's exactly what my 42" Samsung is/was. Power brick says 12VDC 2.1 output.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, abs