Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #1

AC/Microwave switch... Fleetwood clueless

Hello all,

Our Terra 31 has this three position switch, which makes it so one can only have the second AC unit OR the microwave, but not both. One way is AC, the middle is off, and the other way is microwave. The switch has gone bad, and must be held in position in order to use the microwave, which doesn’t please my bride.

Fleetwood is useless, again, and cannot tell me the replacement switch... they don’t even show it in their parts catalog for the MH. Not like they installed it originally or anything.

Any of you electricians out there know what type of switch this is and more importantly, where to buy a replacement? The name on the switch, Bryant, is apparently of a bankrupt business.

Thanks in advance,

Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5192C8F-3910-48BF-9251-A168581A2AD6.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	201881   Click image for larger version

Name:	F08F05E3-6FE4-4CA0-BF6F-6DE37C473958.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	201882  

Curtster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Almost sure it is a single-pole, double-throw switch and they aren't hard to find. Home & hardware stores know them as a "3-way switch", cause they are used in lighting circuits to allow switching from either of two locations. However, one with a center Off position that fits into a standard wall outlet box might be tougher.

Here's one on Amazon, but its pricey:
https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-HBL13.../dp/B00E2XWLH6

Or a better deal at Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...7-GY/301447145

BREAKING NEWS: I found the Bryant switch you have:
https://www.westwayelectricsupply.co...tr-off-iv.html
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm wondering if this is a Fleetwood installed item or something someone added later??

Not sure why you would need the center OFF position.. a standard two position "3-way switch" can be had at almost any hardware store. Try and get the heavy duty model..

If your panel can support it, you might even add another circuit and do away with the switch. You'' probably need to remember that if you attempt to run the A/C and the microwave at the same time, you may pop your pedestal breaker or the main breaker in your panel.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I am at a loss for why you would need it at all. 30 amp service isn't going to run both a/c units reliably and 50 amp will run all three things with no problem.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I am at a loss for why you would need it at all. 30 amp service isn't going to run both a/c units reliably and 50 amp will run all three things with no problem.
My 30 amp will run one A/C and the microwave at the same time, but its really pressing the limit. DW knows not to run two heavy loads at same time, i.e. hair dryer, microwave, A/C, electric heater, elec water heater, etc..

I've added circuits in my breaker panel. Sometimes there's room for on additional breaker, or another option, replace a single breaker with a double (two breakers fit in the same space as a single breaker.)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

Double pole Double throw so you can only send power to one or the other.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies... I knew someone would have answers.
Yeah, I was curious when we bought the coach, as it has 30 amp service, but 2 ACs. Fleetwood’s fix is to use this switch to prevent overload. I wish I was surprised that Fleetwood couldn’t help me, but this is normal for them.

Curt
Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Parts doesn't stock any of the standard hardware items used in construction, e.g. screws, fuses, wire, lubricants and sealers, and common switches. They know what they are cause they they show in the parts list, but you (and the RV dealer) are expected to buy them in a local hardware or fastener store.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Double pole Double throw so you can only send power to one or the other.
Doesn't need to be double pole because the neutral doesn't need to be switched. It's is hardwired to the load center for each appliance.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Doesn't need to be double pole because the neutral doesn't need to be switched. It's is hardwired to the load center for each appliance.
Ok, I was wondering about this! I don’t see the neutral at the switch at all, and there are only three wires (plus the ground) attached to the switch. I’m assuming one is the hot (in) and the other two are hot out to the appliances.

Thanks again,
Curt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BFBA57D1-A749-4CA8-B340-68CC5AE49881.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	202024   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F8B64FB-FB81-4842-9A1C-3D3273B8CE21.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	202025  

Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

Not sure why you would need the center OFF position.. a standard two position "3-way switch" can be had at almost any hardware store. Try and get the heavy duty model..
I like this thinking... is there any reason a $5 Home Depot switch won’t work?

Curt
Old 05-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I like this thinking... is there any reason a $5 Home Depot switch won’t work?
If it was mine, I'd look at two options:

1) add a circuit in the breaker box and split the A/C and microwave to their own breakers.

2) replace the ON-OFF-ON with a ON-ON switch.

You want the heavy duty one, capable of 20 amps. Most of the 3-ways switches will be 15 amps..

IMPORTANT - Regardless what switch you use. you need to verify the A/C unit is turned off before toggling the switch. I doubt the compressor will start immediately, but the fan could.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #13

$5 Home Depot heavy duty 3 way switch and we’re back in business! Thanks to all for the help.
Curt
Old 05-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtster View Post
Ok, I was wondering about this! I don’t see the neutral at the switch at all, and there are only three wires (plus the ground) attached to the switch. I’m assuming one is the hot (in) and the other two are hot out to the appliances.

Thanks again,

Curt

That’s correct, the hot will connect to the darker colored screw. By the way, your photo shows the probable cause of failure for the switch in that somebody didn’t make the wiring loops properly. The bare ends of the wire should wrap about 2/3 of the way around the screws and should wrap with the end of the wire to the right of the screw. That way tightening the screw tightens the loop on the wire. The discolored terminal in the photo overheated due to a lack of adequate contact between the wire and the termination plate/screw.

The quality of the switch for this application is important and a heavy-duty commercial or “spec grade” switch should be used, not a cheap residential type.

Tags
fleetwood, microwave, switch