Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #15

Total!!! IMHO 45+ years in a motor home. Make sure your Ins. Co knows what going on.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #16

Looking at NADA for a 2007 Hurricane 30Q, the value is something around $20K for average. Not always, but generally I find that NADA low is generally closer to market value as found via same or similar units on RVT, RV Trader, etc. But I didn't look at those, so this could be different. Very often, original upgrades or options mean nothing for value on that old of a coach even though NADA has you add them (I never do add them, personally).

If that rear wall is punctured all the way through I'm betting it will be totaled, not to mention the front of the wall is also damaged. One of the disadvantages of vacuum formed walls (vs hung wall) is that your structural integrity is that sandwiched construction as there is generally very little other structure in the walls. It's not so easy to just cut out a large section and stick a new one in when a large section of the one-piece sidewall has been compromised completely through to that extent.

Personally, as suggested by several above, I'd be working with my insurance agent and let them work this with the other insurance company under your close watch. Unless it gets really ugly, I wouldn't be hiring an attorney or anyone else at this point.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I swiped a pole in my storage facility and popped one side of the rear cap loose. Plus a small scrape on the lower compartment door next to the rear cap.

I thought, maybe $4000 to fix. My insurance adjuster said $12,000 to fix. The repair shop estimate came in at $24,000. The insurance company paid it, no problem.

Looking at your photos I’d guess it will be much more than double what mine cost. Call it totaled.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I swiped a pole in my storage facility and popped one side of the rear cap loose. Plus a small scrape on the lower compartment door next to the rear cap.

I thought, maybe $4000 to fix. My insurance adjuster said $12,000 to fix. The repair shop estimate came in at $24,000. The insurance company paid it, no problem.

Looking at your photos I’d guess it will be much more than double what mine cost. Call it totaled.
All based on current value on the market....yours is 2 years old, and worth a lot more than his at 12 years.

His will be totaled in my opinion. Put in a rv graveyard for parts.

We are not sure if he has insurance at this point from his posting.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:51 PM   #19

No attorney will take this case. Attorneys don't make any money on property damage claims. They take a percentage of the settlement for a bodily injury claim. Luckly there were no bodily injuries. Unless you are having problems and need an attorney to write a letter, or file a Insurance Bad Faith case you don't need a lawyer. You pay for your own insurance. If the other parties insurance won't give you whats fair, file the claim with your insurance. They will either repair your vehicle or total it and then go after the at fault parties insurance for reimbursement. Normally if the repairs exceed 75% to 80% of the value it will be totaled. Your insurance will run the VIN number and access the value with their software program. They don't use NADA. If you feel they are low, then show them NADA, as well as comparable sales in your area if you can find them. You don't need to spend money for an appraisal. Call other insurance companies and act like you are shopping for insurance and ask them how much they would value it for coverage.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post 12 is a good idea. Post 17 is about what happened to me 3-4 years ago. A concrete post did the same damage to us. About $4K to 6K to fix.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a dealt with insurance companies a lot, most the time at the fault of others. They may offer you fair market value, but you have the right to tell them to tell you where there is a comparable motorhome is to your same year and close to your milage. Check all this before you talk to them. If you have done any recent updates or repairs to it have that handy because they will reimburse you for that as well like new tires, new batteries, etc.