Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 05:16 AM   #15
IC2

If you have a half hour to waste, get on the You Tube site and watch a couple video compilations of US and Canadian car accidents.

I occasionally watch one or two while eating my lunch. It amazes me that there are so many folks that have no situational awareness. Even those drivers that are not 'officially' at fault in many cases just were not paying attention to their surroundings or are distracted and don't react.

I've gotten to the point I really don't like riving like I used to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 06:01 AM   #16

Blame Cell Phones

For many years I worked as a service engineer for a company in the printing industry. I drove anywhere between 50,000 to 75,000 a year the last 20 years the cars/trucks I have seen all over road white line then yellow line, then see cell phone in their hand.
jimjenturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Everyone driving an RV should take a Motorcycle driving class. We were taught defensive driving and everything taught applies to driving a RV. Always look ahead and give yourself an out in case of an emergency.
X3. Best advise I was given during the class was to drive as if you're invisible. Seems to apply to the RV also.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #18

Not sure why the driver lost control of the vehicle. Over correcting or equipment failure or TEXTING?

I am a deputy in Texas. More and more accidents are a result of texting while driving. Traveling at 70mph is moving at over 100 feet per second. Looking at your cell phone for 5 to 10 seconds . . . 500 to 1000 feet! When you look up, it may be too late. Texas law defines cell phone use while driving as "texting, sending and/or reading". Don't do it. Lives depend on paying attention to your driving: both offensive and defensive.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
Not sure why the driver lost control of the vehicle. Over correcting or equipment failure or TEXTING?

I am a deputy in Texas. More and more accidents are a result of texting while driving. Traveling at 70mph is moving at over 100 feet per second. Looking at your cell phone for 5 to 10 seconds . . . 500 to 1000 feet! When you look up, it may be too late. Texas law defines cell phone use while driving as "texting, sending and/or reading". Don't do it. Lives depend on paying attention to your driving: both offensive and defensive.

Ray
This is one of the few areas I would like to see a harsh, black and white law on the books.

Only legal use of a mobile phone while in motion is a map thay DOES NOT accept input while vehicle is in motion. ALL other uses, even 'Hands Free' are illegal. If caught using mobile phone illegally, it should be considered public endangerment. At a minimum the phone will be consficated and can not be returned until accused appears in court. Subsequent violations should include driver's license suspension because you are endangering others.
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #20

I think the biggest thing I’ve learned from driving an RV is to not worry about the traffic behind me. If I think something MIGHT be going wrong in front of me, I let off the gas and apply just enough brake to light my brake lights until I can decide what to do next.

Studies have been done about a system that flashes your brake lights when you quickly reduce throttle. Seems to me this would be an excellent way to reduce multiple vehicle accidents.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #21

I've been flashing my brake lights at people to let them know I was slowing for years. More so on motorcycles though as you can pretty easily bring one of those to a stop without ever touching the brakes.

The first post reminds me of how I've slowed down here and there over the years. My passenger might question why and my reply would be "I don't know exactly what's going on up there but I'm pretty sure I want nothing to do with it.".
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote