Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Accident Responsiveness

Recently had a near accident in our Southwind Motorhome while on I-10 west of Katy, TX. Immediately slowing down prevented a second accident!
We were heading east, right lane, when an Audi station wagon passed us doing about 75mph. As it started to pass a Greyhound bus about 150 ft in front of us, the car drifted towards the bus, swung hard left, and overcorrected back to the right slamming into the left main wheels on the bus. I immediately started braking even though we were in no danger.
The car slides into the median, spinning, hits the wire barriers in the middle, and slingshots back at a much faster rate. Evidently the wire cables acted like a spring. As we continue braking the entire time, the car slides past us, left to right, backwards with the driver looking up at us. It missed us by about 20 ft.
It stopped in the ditch on the right side, all air bags deployed and the car totaled. We stopped, provided assistance, and then proceeded on.
Point of the Story: Had I not started braking immediately, the car would have slingshotted into the left side of our RV instead of passing in front of us. Braking quickly saved us. However, we've seen many RVs never slow down in traffic or approaching accidents. Be safe and save money and time in repairs!
Traveler78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

Defensive Driving....as it should be

Too bad it is not taught in high school before bad habits are acquired
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Habits are acquired by children as soon as they can observe and reason. Johnny was asked what the traffic lights mean. "Red means stop, green means go." "And?", he was asked, "What does yellow mean?" "Oh, yellow means go faster," he quickly replied...
Old 11-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now you have to spend 80% of your time driving for the other drivers and 20% of your time driving for yourself. Constant defensive driving by looking down the road at traffic and in the mirrors for traffic behind you and passing you.

Anytime I have a vehicle fly around me, and especially if they get into my lane, I an on the brakes giving them more room.

Ken
Old 11-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Drivers ED was taught in my high school. I vividly remember the emphasis the instructor/teacher put on defensive driving. I am very conscious of that driving our MH. He said "expect the worst thing that might happen and plan evasive action before it happens".
Traveler78 must have also had a great instructor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

Everyone driving an RV should take a Motorcycle driving class. We were taught defensive driving and everything taught applies to driving a RV. Always look ahead and give yourself an out in case of an emergency.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Thumbs up Dat's da fact Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Everyone driving an RV should take a Motorcycle driving class. We were taught defensive driving and everything taught applies to driving a RV. Always look ahead and give yourself an out in case of an emergency.
X2
Riding a motorcycle {and living to tell about it} is about the best defensive driving skill builder there is. I always assume that no one sees me and if they do they are probably going to try and kill me. A little cynical? Perhaps, but that attitude has kept me whole for the last 7+ years and 100K+ miles over every type of road, highway and interstate you could imagine.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Our miss from the dash cam, wish there were cables in the median

https://youtu.be/Xnz30JJoLnA
Old 11-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The last 16 years of my career, I was driving all over Los Angeles County, averaging about 35K miles a year and another 20K in my personal vehicles. Driving the Los Angeles freeway system taught me a valuable lesson......if ever you're driving and you see a cloud of dust or an unexplained disturbance ahead, it typically means some has crashed or is spinning out. When I saw this, before brake lights even started to come on, I always started slowing and moving out of traffic toward the center or right hand emergency lane. This saved me on a couple of occasions from being involved in a multi car accident.

Moral of the story.....if you see a disturbance ahead of you, even before you can identify what is happening, start taking evasive measures.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #10

Unfortunately, that sounds like a typical day on Houston area highways..

Texas has a pretty bad record in general... Electronic billboards are saying over 3,000 dead on Texas roads this year, unfortunately this is not our of the norm... yes TX averages around 10+ road deaths every day.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #11

We are sitting at Lake Conroe right now, yesterday on the news an ambulance was hit by a Cheetos delivery truck while the ambulance was running with lights/sirens.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Unfortunately, that sounds like a typical day on Houston area highways..

Texas has a pretty bad record in general... Electronic billboards are saying over 3,000 dead on Texas roads this year, unfortunately this is not our of the norm... yes TX averages around 10+ road deaths every day.

I would say it is a miracle more people dont die in Texas road accidents, with theie on and off ramps between major interchanges, where people exiting the interstate have the right of way over people who are already traveling on roads paralleling the interstate.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #13

Things happen fast on highways.
Here's dashcam footage of a near miss we had. Wishing safe travels to all! -Paul

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiZ9xSDrLNTXjhJz...5SzVL?e=elWRXD
Old 11-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Now you have to spend 80% of your time driving for the other drivers and 20% of your time driving for yourself. Constant defensive driving by looking down the road at traffic and in the mirrors for traffic behind you and passing you.

Anytime I have a vehicle fly around me, and especially if they get into my lane, I an on the brakes giving them more room.

Ken

Excellent advice!!!
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote