Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2021, 09:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Exactly!

I'm facing that dilemma right now. I'm camping in cold weather with two tanks that have a manual switchover. I know that one of my tanks is getting low, but not sure how low. I'm at the point where it may run out overnight. Yes - I could switch it over now, before it runs out, but I'd rather refill a completely empty tank than refill a tank that still has some propane remaining. My refill station charges for a full tank no matter how much is left.
Switch it over for the night and back to the almost empty tank the next morning to use it up.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2021, 10:08 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlJB View Post
Truma LevelCheck is the only thing I know that works. Uses ultrasound. About $80.00 on Amazon.

Ive been following all of the suggestions. This Truma unit is very cool. I like it but would find it difficult to use because of how my tank covers are configured (they are not easy to remove). So, I'm looking at the Mopeka sensor and the Flame King cylinder with the volume level gauge.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #59

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Anyone using this?

AP Products 024-1001 Propane Tank Gas Level Indicator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5RQJHS...2QRYG4DJ37AHD4

I assume with two tanks I would need to buy two of these units? Or could I easily move the gauge to the second tank when I switch over?
You need the one that comes with two sensors if you have two tanks (proably cheaper than purchasing individual). They attach magnetically to the bottom of the propane tank. They provide some gell that you apply before placing the sensors also. The batteries seem to last at least a year. (I change mine anytime I refill at the 9 month mark or longer. It's just easier for me because my tanks are enclosed (Jayco Eagle 322rlok). I strongly recommend you purchase the ring that goes all around the bottom of the tanks to provide clearance. The small ones they provide fall off to easily. Go to the Mopeka website and find the proper kit and use their part number for your Amazon search. I use the phone app and do not have monitor so I have no opinion on it.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #60

AP products sensors and Mopeka sensors

We have been using the Mopeka tank sensors for 5 or 6 years now basically when they came out. They are the same product as AP and maybe one other rebranded one. I use the bluetooth app most of the time although I have the 2 tank monitor affixed in the RV utilities cabinet.

Lots of people stating to physically weigh the tanks, or just switch to tank 2 when 1 is empty. Well, let me tel you why we have this system.

We like to boondock, off-grid, and sometimes in very remote locations. Once again this summer, we had no access to refilling the tanks for 2 weeks. We like knowing exactly what's left in them so we refill at the most opportune time. Also, we know some areas cost 2x the average local at-home price for refilling. Best to refill a 1/2 empty tank at home then before leaving.

We had to replace our tanks last year so the new ones have an analogue gauge on them, they appear pretty accurate, but not linear by any means. The sensor and app is more accurate. We have 3 tanks and sensors, 2 for the RV (30 pounders) and one 20 lb for the BBQ. We had a 2nd 20 pounder with no gauge for the remote places we went this year.

We like knowing the remaining % as we drive down south sometimes in winter and neat some heat as we drive. We also hate waking up at 3Am to go swiitch tanks, and hate driving and searching for tank refills when we have no choice. Best to know when they'll get low and refill at good spots.

The sensor are kind of fragile. You need to use grease to lube the contact area and not every grease works well either. They have special grease for this. Also, best to use the halo type spacer as we needed to fabricate spacers when the halo spacers didn't yet exist or the sensors would get crushed in the holding fixtures. You need to be careful removing sensors as the sensor wire and glue holding the magnet in get loose and can rip off over time, typically after 2 years of harsh roads and lots of miles. I have replaced one sensor but a 2nd one is giving me regular fts, so a new one for next year.

These sensors can now be used on other size vertical or horizontal tanks like you see on overland type RVs. They also work on large 100 lb tanks and such.

The app works on all types, the 2 tank monitor only works on 20 and 30lb tanks (accurately).
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:27 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Switch it over for the night and back to the almost empty tank the next morning to use it up.
That's a simple solution, but it brings us back to the original question. How do you know the almost empty tank is almost empty? Of all the viable options above I've voted for what seems the easiest. The Truma device was $63 to my door. That seems high, but if it makes life a little easier, I'm all for it.

My wife also uses the RV a lot when I'm not along, and I like knowing she's got plenty of propane when she goes. I won't let it run out. We can get them filled locally and just pay for the propane that goes in, so it's not an issue.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! Why didn't I think of that obvious answer!

Really........... it never occurred to me that there was such an easy solution! I've been playing a sort of cold weather Russian roulette - would tonight be the night I run out of heat overnight?

It's one thing to run out of propane while heating during the day, and another thing to run out of propane overnight when heat is crucial.

I will do as you suggested and use my low Tank 1 during the day until I run out, and my full Tank 2 overnight.

Thanks for just saving me $80!
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:57 PM   #63

Mopeka

As one of the previous contributors commented, Mopeka does a wonderful job with giving accurate readings. I have (4) 30 pound tanks and I have a sensor for each one, labeled so that I know which one is getting low. I only use the free app that comes for your smart phone instead of getting the mountable monitor. The app gives very accurate readings. No more getting up at 2 AM to switch tanks.

J. B. Jr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91DAF1BC-3155-4C9F-B34C-285BACFDC621.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	349591  
jamesbeamjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #64

I have found using your hand to feel the warm/hot temp line to the cold temp to be the best way to find the propane level.
The cold temp on the tank is the propane
if it is in cold weather pour hot water on the tank and feel for the cold and warm line and you will know the propane level.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #65

Mopeka TankCheck Sensor Battery life...

It's not well documented, but you can change the update rate of the sensors from 3 seconds to 10.5 seconds, allowing you to double the battery life of the sensor (the batteries can be replaced).

The down side is it will take up to 10.5 seconds for the display or Bluetooth app to read the levels, vs 3 seconds. Personnaly, I can wait 10 seconds to double battery life and not have to change batteries as often.

To change the update/refresh rate, hold down the sync button on the sensor for 5 seconds. The current update rate is shown under "additional" information in the phone app. If you forget how to change it, click the "?" button next to it and it will provide instructions.

You have to do the change for each sensor individually.

Attachment 349592Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211122-153753_Tank%20.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	349593
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeamjr View Post
As one of the previous contributors commented, Mopeka does a wonderful job with giving accurate readings. I have (4) 30 pound tanks and I have a sensor for each one, labeled so that I know which one is getting low. I only use the free app that comes for your smart phone instead of getting the mountable monitor. The app gives very accurate readings. No more getting up at 2 AM to switch tanks.

J. B. Jr.
Will this Mopeka TankCheck Propane Sensor work boondock RVing with no cell phone Service?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthecountry View Post
Will this Mopeka TankCheck Propane Sensor work boondock RVing with no cell phone Service?
Of course! It works via Bluetooth. It'll work without a cell if you have the monitor, but any cell will work on or off grid.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthecountry View Post
No cell phone service needed once the app is installed on the phone, the sensors connects with Bluetooth.

You can also get a wireless display and not use your phone at all. (or like me use both, the display and the phone app)

https://www.mopeka.com/product/mopek...eless-monitor/
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintonl View Post
I'm sorry, I don't understand this dilemma . Most RV's have two tanks. When 1 is empty, then you refill the empty . Seems pretty straight forward to me. No brainer.

Not really a dilemma. I think of it as more of a convenience. For example, if I knew there was 20% or less in tank#1 I would fill it prior to our trip next week. As it stands, I have no idea. If I can have a relatively accurate gauge without having to dismount the tank, then the process is just a little easier.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
Mopeka TankCheck Sensor Battery life...

It's not well documented, but you can change the update rate of the sensors from 3 seconds to 10.5 seconds, allowing you to double the battery life of the sensor (the batteries can be replaced).

The down side is it will take up to 10.5 seconds for the display or Bluetooth app to read the levels, vs 3 seconds. Personnaly, I can wait 10 seconds to double battery life and not have to change batteries as often.

To change the update/refresh rate, hold down the sync button on the sensor for 5 seconds. The current update rate is shown under "additional" information in the phone app. If you forget how to change it, click the "?" button next to it and it will provide instructions.

You have to do the change for each sensor individually.

Attachment 349592Attachment 349593
The Pro sensors allow you to change the refresh rate from the app, no need to access the sensor to push the button. The refresh rate on the Pro sensors also is a slightly broader range, up to 30 seconds if I recall.

Charles

Tags
propane, tank