Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #1

Accurate propane tank gauge?

Anyone recommend a accurate Propane tank gauge? I've used those inline pressure gauges but they don't work. I want one that tells me the amount of propane left. Is that even an option?
Thanks
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #2

Following!

I also tried the inline gauge with your same results.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

A pressure gauge will NEVER tell you the level of propane in the tank.

A pressure gauge will read the same with full tank all the way until the last ounce is used at which time it will drop rapidly to zero.

Pressure is determined by vapor pressure. Any liquid in the tank will product the same vapor pressure. Vapor pressure IS related to temperature (Ideal Gas Law).

You need a gauge in the tank that tell you LIQUID level.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Anyone recommend a accurate Propane tank gauge? I've used those inline pressure gauges but they don't work. I want one that tells me the amount of propane left. Is that even an option?
Thanks
I have tried a couple of different systems, and on those you will just an estimate of how much is left. What I mean is they read 1/3, 2/3, full. How accurate do you want or need?

I have used this in the past:
https://mopeka.com/product-category/...ropane-sensor/

Now after 3 years, one side still works the other sensor is bad.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #5

Accurate propane tank gauge?

We have been using the Mopeka system for a few years and it works pretty good. The company’s customer support has also been very good answering questions and replacing a defective sensor for free and even sent me a free upgraded monitor. The system can be set up for different size propane tanks and there is an app that can be used with or without a monitor. You might want to check into the Mopeka system. It gives a percentage reading. Not real expensive either. I recommend it. (And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way; just a very satisfied user. )
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

We talking LP Tank or Portable Cylinders?

Cylinders......
In-line are just pressure gauges and pressure is there until cylinder is almost empty
Temp Tapes on side on cylinders are OK...they change color based on temps
Sensors that you place under the cylinders and monitor level based on weight via remote monitor or Bluetooth

ME...have dual cylinders when Green Indicator turns Red I go fill the empty one
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #7

No such thing, like a vehicle gas Guage get used to it.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Cylinders......
In-line are just pressure gauges and pressure is there until cylinder is almost empty
Sensors that you place under the cylinders and monitor level based on weight via remote monitor or Bluetooth

Portable cylinders. The reason I ask is because I know some integrated system on motorhomes read the percentage of propane in the tank. I assume it's some sort of sensor inside the tank. I was wondering if someone makes one for a portable tank.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Portable cylinders. The reason I ask is because I know some integrated system on motorhomes read the percentage of propane in the tank. I assume it's some sort of sensor inside the tank. I was wondering if someone makes one for a portable tank.
LP Tanks use a float/magnet set up inside the tank

Can't install anything in a portable cylinder as there is only one entry port for the OPD

Closest item would be the Sensors you place under the cylinders
Various makes/models...some better then others
*Read Reviews
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes, there's a float in there. Upright DOT cylinders don't have that, though forklift DOT cylinders (horizontal) generally do.

The inline gauges work by showing tank pressure while propane is being drawn off. The lower the fluid level in the tank, the lower the pressure will drop to while vapor is drawn off because external heat can't get into the tank as fast as when it's full. That's why there's usually three ranges, for cold, warm, and hot ambient temperatures. Increasing or decreasing the gas flow rate will also change the indicated 'level' (via pressure) as that changes the rate at which the liquid boils off to vapor, and therefore the temperature of the contents.

Leave it alone for a few hours and the pressure will be back to whatever pressure corresponds to the ambient temperature. As someone said, a thimble full of liquid in the tank will show the same pressure as a full tank when no gas is being drawn off, assuming the temperature of the contents is the same in both cases.

Not a good way to try to indicate liquid level. Mechanical or mechanical/electrical float gauges are best, but you'd have to buy a tank with one in it. Or ultrasonic gauges. Or temperature strips or infrared temperature equipment, though those last two probably work better when some gas appliance is running (liquid part gets colder than the upper part of the cylinder where vapor is).
Old 11-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #11

Many RVers carry a spare, full tank for when the first one goes empty in the middle of the night. Trailers are equipped with two tanks for that reason.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #12

You can pour warm water over it, and you will see the level. I've seen it frost over on the bottom if it's in use.

charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Cylinders......

By Green Indicator, are you referring to the Temp Tape?
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #14

Thanks guys.

Tags
propane, tank