Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Accurate tire pressure gauge?

Knowing how important tire pressure is I check mine before puling out ever time. My problem is none of my four gauges agree. Each one is 1-4 PSI different than the other.

My question is what brand type is the best, most accurate, and sturdy tire pressure gauge for my RV. By the way I shot for 95 psi all around.
5 Star Tune, Banks Power Pack #49380
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

Having been a auto/truck mechanic for about 42 years,there always seems to be some difference between all tire gauges,but I think the most accurate ones I've found are the digital ones. (not the cheap ones)
Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineLuvrs View Post
Knowing how important tire pressure is I check mine before puling out ever time. My problem is none of my four gauges agree. Each one is 1-4 PSI different than the other. My question is what brand type is the best, most accurate, and sturdy tire pressure gauge for my RV. By the way I shot for 95 psi all around.
Get a digital and set your tires, then go to a tire shop, test with yours, test with theirs. Now you know the variance.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

What determines best tire pressure? How do I know what my tires should have? Thanks for starting this thread

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #5

Look at the "Accutire MS5515B" 5 to 150 lbs. With light and Bleed button. IMO one of the most accurate on the market
Available from Amazon $39.95
Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if u can go to MH mag.issue aug 10 good art & testing lots of guages. should be able to get to archives issues

if u cant get it i can send by PM or email
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

No one is more unsure of the time of day than the man with two watches!

People tend to believe digital gauges, but I'm not sold. I was a crew cheif for a motorcycle road race team. We used liquid filled analog gauges and set pressures in 1/2 lb increments.

The range of the gauge is is important. Use a gauge that will have your target pressure near the middle of the range of the gauge.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
How accurate are the Tire Minder type that are permanently mounted???

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

I have been in the tire industry all my life and found there is no best gauge. Just ones that are wrong and those that can be re-calibrated.
Titanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Here is what I recommend.

Amazon.com: Accutire MS-5515B Truck and RV Digital Tire Gauge with LED Light and Bleed Button: Automotive

Have it checked against a calibrated one from a truck tire place.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #11

Which one reads correctly? Answer, the one used for calibrating other ones. If you want to calibrate your gauge yourself do it like this:How Do I Calibrate A Tire Air Gauge
Personally I believe consumers report and bought a good 120psi digital gauge to backup my truck tire 160psi dial gauge (they read 3 psi different) Now that 3psi will not make a difference to my MH or my truck tires, just as long as I use the same one for the tires on one vehicle. BTW, my TPMS reads 8 psi lower, it's actual reading is immaterial, as long as I have a set-point to monitor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

I don't believe a 1-4 pound variance is going to make any difference. You will get more than that from the sunny side to the shady side of the coach. More important than which gauge to use is the fact that you use the same gauge for each tire when setting your pressures.
As for how accurate are tire monitors, sort of. Mine, EEZ Tire TPMS, vary about three pounds. I do not use them to set tire pressure, only to monitor changes while driving.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I don't believe a 1-4 pound variance is going to make any difference. You will get more than that from the sunny side to the shady side of the coach. More important than which gauge to use is the fact that you use the same gauge for each tire when setting your pressures.
As for how accurate are tire monitors, sort of. Mine, EEZ Tire TPMS, vary about three pounds. I do not use them to set tire pressure, only to monitor changes while driving.
Thanks for the info...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #14

I have a friend that owns a very large chain of tire and repair centers. I called him and asked him where I could find a 4 corner scale to weigh my coach and he asked why. I told him so I could set a proper psi in my tires. He asked me about my tires, size, brand, ply and so on. He then told me that I have the best tire made for my coach and to run the max tire pressure and leave it. He said that tires run cooler at max pressure and my tire will handle it.
Im not saying he is right but I do trust him very much, so I will be running 115psi until something gives me a reason to change.

Thanks again for all this great info.

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure