RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #1

Add 110 Volt Outlet Behind Couch

All, I just upgraded my the couch on my 2014 Keystone Cougar to a dual recline electric love seat. I need to add an outlet to power the new couch. This is what is behind the couch now, what is it? I assume I can tap into it but I'd like to know what it is before I screw something up. It appears to be a way to splice 14/2 wire to possibly wire rated for outdoor use, am I on the right track?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rv Outlet.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	265056  
tinpusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #2

Sure looks like 120 Vac to me. Perhaps it's an outside outlet? What's on the other side of that wall? Or does it go into a basement compartment?

The Romex type cable is never used for 12 volt that I know of so you've got a source of 120 Vac to tap into. It doesn't matter what it's meant for, if you use the proper methods and won't be overloading the circuit, splicing into it is not a problem.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Is this a way to power all the current outlets in this particular slide? The location of the picture is the right inside corner of the largest slide. I can't see anything outside under the slide.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
IC2

The walls in a '14 Keystone Cougar or similarly built Montana are a sandwich construction Filon outer, styrofoam middle and some sort of plastic covered luan paneling inside. There is no way to add an outlet to that slide wall with internal wiring. The floor is too close to the slide bar to run wiring though there may be a moveable hinge device that carries power to any 12VDC or the (possibly) 120VAC outlet on the wall. You might be able to splice into that 120VAC yhough only under the belly cover.

I can't tell what the gadget you show is but a voltmeter can determine if it's live. If so, and it's 120VAC, remove it, then add a surface mount box on the floor.

(I hope I read your question correctly)
Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 AM   #5

That is a junction joint not using a conventional box. It appears your couch was in a slide. The black cord is a flexible cord from you RV to the slide. The other wire is 14/2 Romex running thru the walls of the slide. You can remove that connection and put a box there with a 120 volt receptical in it.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #6

That is exactly what I needed to know, thank you. Next question, what type of junction box and outlet would I need? I do not need to recess anything because the couch will be in front of the new plug.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #7

I have added a couple or extra 120V plugs in our fifth wheel. I'm not worried about the elec load on the system, since we never use all the plugs at the same time and the plug placement is based on ease of convenience.
Here are a couple of ideas I have done to run a extension cord behind the couch for a floor lamp. I tucked the cord under the carpet and used plastic conduit to hide the cord. Another switch I installed, I could not fish the wire through the wall, so I also used the plastic conduit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Plug.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	265088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Switch.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	265089  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the options!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpusher1 View Post
That is exactly what I needed to know, thank you. Next question, what type of junction box and outlet would I need? I do not need to recess anything because the couch will be in front of the new plug.
Show the guys at HD what your doing. they will fix you up. 120 volt 15 amp duplex outlet.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

Thank you!