Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2018, 03:58 AM   #1

Adding an access door?

Ok, I'm only in a feasibility-study mode but I'm thinking of adding an access door to my 5th wheel.

What's this insanity about?!!! I see there's a lot of wasted space under the raised front part of the RV behind the basement. There's an access panel in the basement to get to the water pump, that I've turned into a door instead of fiddling with all the screws, and made a door in another part to get at more space. Since I have the addict's view of life (if some is good, more is better), I'm now looking at getting access to all that other space that I can only get to from outside. Admittedly stretching my abilities (how else do you learn?), I want to find a door and figure out what's involved in installing it.

To my simple mind, I only need a door, the frame for it, and hardware. Gonna crawl in there next week, remove part of an inside panel, and see how the frame would fit in.

You can see what I think about instead of sleeping. (8-) Anyone ever attempt this? Outside of talking me out of it, any off-the-top-of-your-head thoughts and things to consider? (Don't worry; I won't let SWMBO read any of this.)

Thanks,
phil
psikora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:34 AM   #2

Look in marine catalogs for hatches and covers. There are some white plastic assemblies available.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #3

There was a thread recently on a guy who added a window. I don't think a door would be much different. Search through the forum and find it because he gave a step by step instructions.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A guy (Brulaz I think) on the Outdoors RV part of the forum recently added a door on the side of his trailer. Biggest issue was knowing where the framing was.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

Found this https://smile.amazon.com/Five-Oceans...RV+access+door on Amazon. If you look around you'll probably find more.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

If I understand your requirements, you want to add acces to your outside storage area from the inside. That should be able to be done with moderate woodworking skills.

Once you figure out the size and location, you could carefully cut the hole and save the removed panel to become part of the door. Build a door frame and add trim around the panel and it should look like original.

I recently acquired an oscillating multipurpose tool. Not an expert on it yet, but I'm considering a similar project under a bench seat and I think that it will make the clean cut I need.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks to me like he is trying to install a hatch to access an inside space from the outside.

Glenn
Old 03-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #8

Thanks.
Going in order:
Thanks, Sudsy. Those hatches look interesting. If I can't find a donor RV access door I may have to go that way. Part of the problem is most of them have one dimension that is kinda small. Wanna put my emergency 6 ton bottle jack in there, along with jack stands, extra hose we haven't needed yet, a piece of diamond plate that goes under the jack, a hunk or two of wood, etc. And the really cool aluminum and stainless steel hatches are upwards of $1,000. Who knew? I guess that's why if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

Thanks, KTN1966. Will try to find that.

Thanks, Off Road. Will check for that, too.

Thanks, hohenwald48. Saw that one on Amazon. Cut-out dimension may be too small. Also I was thinking if I could get the door to be flush like the others, that might be a cleaner installation. But if I can't...

Thanks, coupevilleDF. I didn't write that so clear. Need access from outside to inside. I have an oscillating tool I haven't use yet. Was just thinking in bed again this morning that I need to see where the frame is. I could cut the frame and reinforce that way you put a window or door in a house. I have enough experience with that. But if the spacing between the frame members are wide enough for what I wanna put in there, I might consider just being annoyed and leaving the framing well enough alone. Makes an easier installation. Gotta crawl under there mebbe tomorrow, hack away on the inside to expose the framing, and recalculate. More to come. Watch this space.

Thanks, Glen and Kathy. You saw through my bad writing.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #9

You can specify precisely what you want if you are willing to wait for them to make it... here is one source that isn't too expensive:

https://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-ext...unded-corners/

Good luck on your project!
VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #10

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACHZHD View Post
You can specify precisely what you want if you are willing to wait for them to make it... here is one source that isn't too expensive:

https://www.rvpartsnation.com/rv-ext...unded-corners/

Good luck on your project!
Wow. This is REALLY a great option. I finally got out there yesterday, since it warmed up and it wasn't like crawling into a refrigerator, cut away some paneling, and verified where the frame is and isn't. Getting into that compartment is tricky - not that much space. One of the times I'm glad I'm not that big.

So I can have a pretty long door, even if I don't want to span one frame member that would just act as a divider. I semi-randomly picked 16" x 28" but that length could extend a ton more. Called RV Parts Nation and found out they have a 6-8 week lead time. That might not make the June trip but would for subsequent ones.

The only concern I have is that that it's only available in white. The door itself I would have no problem painting but I think the frame will be always chipping and showing the while underneath. My RV has a very dark brown frame and mostly a tan body color.

Turns out my local dealer's parts person is pretty nice. I asked if I could get a Prime Time or Forest River door approximately in those dimensions with a dark brown or black frame and a tan door would be icing on the proverbial cake. We'll see...
Old 03-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

Could always have the frame powder coated....I replaced a J panel due to tire problem and the local auto paint store was able to match the color and put it in a couple spray cans....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 AM   #12

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Could always have the frame powder coated....I replaced a J panel due to tire problem and the local auto paint store was able to match the color and put it in a couple spray cans....
Also a good option, especially when I see what the cost of the door will be vs. the third party one. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #13

Ordered a door from rvpartsnation.com. 16" x 28". $160. $140 shipping. I guess there's no way around it. 8-10 week lead time. Not sure I'll be able to get it in before our June trip. We'll see...
Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikora View Post
Ordered a door from rvpartsnation.com. 16" x 28". $160. $140 shipping. I guess there's no way around it. 8-10 week lead time. Not sure I'll be able to get it in before our June trip. We'll see...
Superfluous update. Here I am in week 15 and still no door. I called and they said they'll get it from their supplier and shipping Aug. 2nd. I guess we'll see.

I am starting to believe ignorance is bliss. On the phone today, when I asked if their supplier could just send it to me, they said they're only down the road so not much time wasted there waiting for shipping. Trying to avoid work, I wondered if I could get on Google maps and maybe find out who that might be.

First off, it was a little tricky getting an address for rvpartsnation to see where down the road could be. What I did find was a BBB entry for them. Their BBB accreditation has been revoked. A number of complaints, including things I've experienced so far, like when I called for a shipping update in week 8 and was told someone would call me back with an answer - no call back. Like when I filled out their web-generated contact form in week 11 and never heard back from them. Hoping I actually get this door, and before it gets cold again here in NY. Seriously.

As my youngest would say, "first-world problem". Perspective is in the details.

Tags
door