Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
$$Additional Fee To Guarantee an Available RV Spot??$$

We got back into the RV game just this year and I'm noticing many changes ,not many are good, to the way things 'used to be'.
Could someone please explain a policy that I'm seeing quite often now that I'm paying attention.
Other than straight up price gouging what is the rational, from any view point, for charging me $25-$30 to guarantee an RV spot while making a reservation that appears as 'available'....
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

I don't think I've ever made a reservation and not had to make a deposit. Or am I misunderstanding you question?
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #3

I guess I don't understand either. You are reserving a spot and giving them a deposit thus assuring them that you will show up as promised and they are assuring you that they won't rent the spot to another. If you arrive as promised nobody loses.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Begs the question of how long you've been "out of the game"?
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Like the others, I've never seen an ADDITIONAL fee charged to hold a reservation. I've been to many places that want some amount of money paid up front to hold the reservation, but that money was applied towards the total of the reservation amount when I checked in and paid.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

OK, so do you mean that the $25-30 was in addition to the normal charge for the night ?
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've always paid a deposit to guarantee a reservation.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

RV sales hit an all-time high for month of July this year. Reports stated there are more RV's licensed than RV sites available, that was 2 years ago. This means the past practice of not making reservations is history during normal camping season.
Once in a great while I make a reservation and am not required to make a deposit. If I do not wish to make a reservation I plan on stopping for the day around 3PM to make sure I find a vacancy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
RV sales hit an all-time high for month of July this year. Reports stated there are more RV's licensed than RV sites available....
It's not even close. There are many times more RV's than there are available RV sites
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
As long as RVers are willing to pay a fee to guarantee a specific site, RV parks will continue to charge for that benefit. If people refuse to pay, that practice may go away.

We've been RVing for 12 years and for the most part, don't know where we'll be spending the night until we're an hour or two from a park. When calling a park and telling them we're an hour or two away, they usually just hold a spot.
Almost all parks will hold a spot without a deposit.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #11

Based on my experiences,That additional fee is to guarantee a specific campsite. KOA has been doing that at some locations for awhile. Some other private campgrounds are following suit.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #12

My experience is that KOA charges a fee of $10 to reserve a specific site. Their regular deposit policy just assures you that there will be a site for you when you arrive. If you want a specific site, for whatever reason, the specific site reservation fee is a flat fee of $10 regardless of how long you stay. If I want a specific site, I pay the fee, if its for one night and I just want a site, I take my chances.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #13

Carolina Pines RV Resort in Myrtle Beach charges a $30 "Lock Fee" to guarantee a specific site. When making a reservation, you see the following pop up:

Lock your site location?
$30.00
While we guarantee your chosen site type and amenities, our automated optimization system may change your site location.
You can guarantee your chosen site location by paying a $30.00 lock fee.

If you are traveling as a group and want to have adjoining sites, all sites need to pay the $30 fee.

GREED.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #14

meh. Like everyone else is saying, RVing is at an all time high right now. We just got back in after taking a year and a half off and the state parks here in Florida are booked solid right thru the max reservation period. We also go to Disney a few times a year. You could never book a specific spot, just a catagory of accommodation and "request" a specific loop or spot. This kind of flexibility helps them keep the campgrounds as fully booked as possible and account for late cancellations. I really don't see a problem charging a premium for a specific site especially since lots of people end up changing their plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCarolina View Post
Carolina Pines RV Resort in Myrtle Beach charges a $30 "Lock Fee" to guarantee a specific site. When making a reservation, you see the following pop up:

Lock your site location?
$30.00
While we guarantee your chosen site type and amenities, our automated optimization system may change your site location.
You can guarantee your chosen site location by paying a $30.00 lock fee.

If you are traveling as a group and want to have adjoining sites, all sites need to pay the $30 fee.

GREED.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote