Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

advice on camping world

Hello everyone. Husband and wife looking for first RV. Getting lots of ideas here. Anyone have any thoughts on Camping World as far as sales and service? Anyone know of good dealers in Virginia or close. We are thinking of getting a type A. We have 4 small dogs that don't like going in and out of cars very good so we thought with a A they could just use there piddle pads till we get where we are going. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. There's just so much out there I'm dizzy. Thanks!
3smdjbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
JMO, beware CW sales and service.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #3

I have to agree with Clay that Camping World would not be my first choice for either sales or service.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take your time before you make a purchase. Let your fingers do the walking...across your keyboard.

PPL Motor Homes in Texas has a lot of different types of RVs with lots of pictures and floorplans. If you see something you like, ask opinions here. There won't be a shortage.

Camping World is a good place to order supplies from.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #5

Check out Tom Johnson's RV in Marion, NC. They are good people, and will treat you well.

They check everything completely, and take the time to get you satisfied. The salesman I worked with was Jerry Canty. The number there is 800 225 7802.

I think they wil help you.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had two motor home buying experiences with Camping World locations. One was just fine, the other was so bad we walked away from the deal. Camping World buys up existing dealerships and just puts a thin CW veneer on them. Under the surface they are still the same old dealer, good or bad. For what its worth, our good experience was at Statesville NC, the bad one was El Paso TX. I agree with Redwing Nut that PPL have a good reputation. I have also had good experiences with MHSRV in Alvarado TX.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any dealer is great because you can get a good variety of MH looks. When we were looking last April I have a brother in Houston and usually visit him in April. So while I was there I visited three dealers that either had Itasca or Winnebago's. That's the coach we settled on (Vista 30T) but it was very difficult to see one because it was May and the model change takes place in that month.

Now once you find a coach or a model you want there's nothing wrong with checking for quality of service. We did stop at a few CW's just to see some interiors but none had the Vista. I saw an Itasca, same model in Houston. Then we did the factory tour so we could see some of the 2014 interior colors then ordered the coach. My DW actually never saw a Vista 30T until we went on the tour. When we finished the tour the driver took us all over the shipping lot and we saw everything we needed to see. I think we looked at a dozen different Vista 30T's before we were done. You can't do that at dealers.

If you are looking for used at a dealer then when you find the coach ask for some names of people who have had service. They won't give you names of folks who were not happy with their service but they will know that you are concerned.

If you have a friend in the repair or service of cars/trucks/or MH's or somebody who has a coach ask if you can have somebody else look at it. To me it would be worth a $100 to have a qualified technician look at a $100,000 dollar investment. If they refuse that would be a clue to either negotiate way down in price or walk away. They won't give you names of unhappy people but at least they know you're thinking ahead. Stop in at different times of the day and talk to people having service work done. You have the right to know the type of work being performed and how long it takes to get done. Ask to speak to the owner and be up front with him/her. There's nothing wrong with asking some pointed questions.

The gentleman who bought our 1999 Dutch Star got my name from the dealer and he has called me several times over the years. Ask for the name of the previous owner and ask them to check to see if you can call them. I'm sure the previous owner would be a valuable source of good information. The coach we sold was in excellent shape, I'm ASE certified and did all my own maintenance work and I had records. The new owner was thrilled to know all that. If they shy away from getting the previous owners name maybe they have something they want to hide.

TeJay
Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #8

Jamais j'acheterais un motorisé a CW
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #9

didnt do well at the cw in tampa. They tried to resell us the washer dryer they took out of the unit. We ran away!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do not settle for " I guess this will do". You are making a huge investment so be sure it is what you want. Does your favorite bowl fit into the micro, can you stand in the shower, can you live with colors, is the bed okay, that kind of stuff.
Ask questions here and don't be afraid to question strangers with motorhomes especially if you like what you see. We love to talk about our rigs, good and bad. Be patient the perfect one is out there.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I live in Southern Maryland, and I drove up to Pa. for the RV I wanted that was sold at CW. They gave me a good deal, and when I went on my cross-country trip the water pump gave me some problems so I stopped at a CW in Idaho where they tried there best to get me in for service while I was there but I ended up replacing the pump myself which I was reimbursed for later. I have found that the drive up to Pa. is more than I care to do for service work (takes about 4 hrs. driving) so if I need anything done I usually do it myself. So basically I would recommend you get the camper you want from wherever you can get the best deal and enjoy the drive! Oh and if you change your mind and want a Class C I have a 2013 Four Winds 31A for sale now that I'm done with my cross-country trip, you can see it in the classifieds in IRV2
Old 09-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #12

If camping world was the last dealership selling RV's.....I would go to the next to last !
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #13

I work for Camping World in Chattanooga, Tn. Believe me if you are not satisfied with anything you buy from C/W and can not get satisfaction at the local level all you have to do is call the Main office in Chicago and let them know your problems. It will be taken care of quickly.
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When I mentioned PPL in post #4, I meant to use it to see the different types of RVs and floorplans. I have not had any experience at purchasing a RV from them. I have only used their site as a guide.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping