Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #1

Advice on offer price

Hey there!

We may have finally found the one! It's a 2003 Winnebago Brave 32V Chevy Workhorse. It's listed at $23,500. NADA low to average range is 21,800 - 26,120. I've read a lot of stuff on here about starting around the low retail value. Recommendations?

Also, we will be having an inspection done. Should we negotiate the price first with it being contingent upon the inspection results?

Thanks!
amalvarez08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go to RVTrader.com and do a search for that make and model to see what they are going for around the country.

Yes, if you make an offer you should make it contingent on the outcome of the inspection.

Hope the deal works out for you!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would also post your vin number in this thread (see below) and see if the recalls have been completed - edgray goes out of his way to help with this.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/work...ow-385696.html
Old 07-21-2021, 12:57 PM   #4

Pricing a unit that is approaching 20 years old is going to be dependent on the condition, upgrades, care, maintenance, tire/battery age, etc. Is it private party or dealer? Have you seen it in person or are you just kicking tires online? This all makes a big difference.

I wouldn't hesitate to throw out a low offer at first and see what the seller says. Now that we are past July 4 prices are going to start to sag and you may have a motivated seller. But -- you better make it an attractive offer. If it comes with a million and one conditions (or financing approval, inspection, "I need to see/drive it first") then why would they consider it? You're going to be a pain-in-the-butt and a low-baller.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #5

Negotiate everything before the inspection. Start 10% below the asking price. Write down your maximum price and do not go above it. Then do the inspection. If it's good, pay and drive it home. If there is a problem, let the seller decide if they want to lose the sale or share in the repair. Good luck
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think in the current RV market, if you play around too much with the price and drag out the sale, they'll have three other buyers to take your place. That's not how anyone wants to buy an RV, but that's the state of the market.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalvarez08 View Post
Hey there!

We may have finally found the one! It's a 2003 Winnebago Brave 32V Chevy Workhorse. It's listed at $23,500. NADA low to average range is 21,800 - 26,120. I've read a lot of stuff on here about starting around the low retail value. Recommendations?

Also, we will be having an inspection done. Should we negotiate the price first with it being contingent upon the inspection results?

Thanks!
Well the seller is doing what most do. Go to high/low retail and price in the middle, so it sounds like he is motivated to sell.

That said, I'm an insurance adjuster and just had a claim on one a guy was trying to sell. Someone took it on a test drive under a 10'3" bridge and took the AC unit off and ruined the roof. I asked the guy what he was asking and he said the same thing. High/Low retail and priced in the middle at $25k. It was a nice clean unit and he put new tires on it to sell it.

I wrote a $10k estimate to repair, and since salvage on this stuff is going high and fast I ran a market value on it. Came back at $37k. So NADA doesn't mean much right now. It's a sellers market.

The seller may or may not agree to an offer contingent on an inspection. Keep in mind a good inspection is going to run around $1,000, so better get everything else nailed down first.

Now I personally would not pay for an inspection, but I am around these things all the time and do a complete once over myself. I bought a new to me DP last year and spent a bunch of time going over it. The couple minor problems I had with it an inspection would not have discovered anyway. Inverter went and a vacuum breaker, both working fine and looked fine. Burned a capacitor and control board on the basement AC but that was caused by a bad breaker in the CG pedestal. I'd be more interested in the service records. $1,000 is a lot to spend on an $25k coach.

The only thing I always tell people, boats, cars, RV's, don't walk in and fall in love with it. Emotions can make you make a bad decision.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think in the current RV market, if you play around too much with the price and drag out the sale, they'll have three other buyers to take your place. That's not how anyone wants to buy an RV, but that's the state of the market.
Yup, a lot of new to the RV world people are not spending $100,000 plus for their first RV. The stuff, campers, 5rs motor homes in the lower end like that go fast.

When I upgraded last year, I sold my 2000 gas HR 36' Endeavor at $10,000 to the first guy that looked at it. Wrote a check and took it home. If I had it on the market today, it would bring $17k But that was then and this was now. I could have screwed around with it but it might have been a week or maybe a year. I needed the last $10k to buy my DP. I got a note from the guy that bought it, he put new tires on it, (really needed them) and took a trip out west to Las Vegas and other SW destinations. Said it ran great and really had no problems with it. SO all are happy.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't over complicate it.

There's a "book value" and then subtract what it's gonna cost to fix it.

+++++

If he's in a hurry to sell, that will cost him.
If you are in a hurry to buy, that will cost you.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalvarez08 View Post
Hey there!

Thanks!
Since you are paying for the inspection, ask the seller if he will drop the price to deduct what you are paying for the inspection. Depending on what the inspector finds, you can negotiate then. There may be a lot of things that need to be done to the unit. How old are the appliances, AC and furnace?
After the inspection, I would start at the low end and go from there.

I would also ask about maintenance records.
glwinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #11

$4000 to have it sealed, tires another $1500. A lot of immediate fixes maybe. Find out what the current prices are going for. Get your inspection, and negotiate the repairs into the cost. BTW, I had a 2003 Itasca, the Braves twin, and I never had an issue with it, enjoyed it a lot.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Right now it is a sellers market and claen RV are bring preminum $$$$. Earler this year our daughter sold a 2-1/2 year old Winnwebago Minnie Plus travel trailer for $500 less than they paid for it. My sister-in-law sold her 1 year old Winnebago Travato motorhome for $12000 more than she paid for it.

The used RV and auto market is crazy right now.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #13

When I sell anything, I do not negotiate until the prospective buyer shows up in person to look at it with a reasonable cash deposit in hand. Too many tire kickers and low-ballers to waste time with them. I do my homework on asking price and price it fairly to begin with. Most of the time I get it.
I approach buying things with the same philosophy. I do my homework and base my offer based on condition and what it will cost to fix anything. I just want a fair value and not neccessarily a deal.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, offer