Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 06:46 AM   #1

Advice on pulling trigger on our first rig

Pulling the trigger on our first rig

My wife and I drove across PA to look at a group of used RVís that we were interested in. MinnieWinnie Jayco Greyhawk bunkhouse and non.

To our surprise we really liked a 2016 greyhawk 31fs bunk house with about 9,000 miles on it. From my eye seemed to be taken care of very nicely maybe even kept indoors and checks all the boxes of sleeping and storage

Listed for 69996. Nada with current miles is low 68,000-avg 82,000.

After negotiating with dealer, his final was 69,900 out the door.

This is within our budget and we definitely donít think weíll find a comparable rv around that price range, but I also want to get the best deal I can. I was thinking of calling and accepting the 69,900 with conditions of pending private inspection, reseal roof in prep of winter along with full winterization after inspection and an RV cover.

Am I just being silly and trying to have the ďwinĒ in negotiations? I also raise an eyebrow when they list something near the bottom of the nada when listing prices are all over the map, including one at camping world for well over 100,000. Maybe I am just looking for assurances from people in the know that yea on paper, seems like a decent pretty run of the mill deal. Overall i feel okay without those extras, but Iím just not super knowledgeable being a newby. Thanks!
DarthTater62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Not to rain on your day, but with the rig 6 years old or more, I would not worry about a cover, instead I would be concerned about tires. RV tires will age out before you wear the tires out. Check and see what the date is on the tires and make a decision on what is needed when you purchase the rig.

Not knowing what size of tires on it, a set of 6 tires, you may be looking at $1500 or more.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTater62 View Post
Pulling the trigger on our first rig

My wife and I drove across PA to look at a group of used RVís that we were interested in. MinnieWinnie Jayco Greyhawk bunkhouse and non.

To our surprise we really liked a 2016 greyhawk 31fs bunk house with about 9,000 miles on it. From my eye seemed to be taken care of very nicely maybe even kept indoors and checks all the boxes of sleeping and storage

Listed for 69996. Nada with current miles is low 68,000-avg 82,000.

After negotiating with dealer, his final was 69,900 out the door.

This is within our budget and we definitely donít think weíll find a comparable rv around that price range, but I also want to get the best deal I can. I was thinking of calling and accepting the 69,900 with conditions of pending private inspection, reseal roof in prep of winter along with full winterization after inspection and an RV cover.

Am I just being silly and trying to have the ďwinĒ in negotiations? I also raise an eyebrow when they list something near the bottom of the nada when listing prices are all over the map, including one at camping world for well over 100,000. Maybe I am just looking for assurances from people in the know that yea on paper, seems like a decent pretty run of the mill deal. Overall i feel okay without those extras, but Iím just not super knowledgeable being a newby. Thanks!
Just keep in mind that the market is jam packed with used and new RVs right now. The prices are going down as we speak. It's a good time to sell before winter hits, but not such a good time to buy. Wait a few months and try to find that same RV from an individual. That advice is of course worth what I am chargeing you for it. Good luck on buying your first rig. That particular camper is a good choice IMO.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:24 AM   #4

IMHO covers are a waste of time. Never covered an RV but used them on cars, with all sorts of systems to holf tight, still flapped in the wind and marked up the paint.
Tires and a private inspection are a good idea, especially the inspection.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nada prices are coming down each month. At best the nada prices your looking at are August.. Right now the rv market is flush with no sign of relief. It's a buyer market.

Are you planing to use it between now and next spring. If not, best prices in a normal year is early in the year. After people are buying MH for their planned snow birding trip and before early spring camping rush

I would work on getting the tires included. I think there is more room.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:51 AM   #6

I would second the advice to wait a bit. Especially if you are not going to use it till next season. Prices are dropping and are going to drop even more. I can also tell you, from personal experience (having wasted a few hundred dollars on one) that covers are heavy, unwieldy and provide little protection. I have a 36' cover that anyone is welcome to (for free) if you can drive by my house in Land O Lakes, Fl and pick it up. It was only used for a couple of days.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here’s one in CT that SOLD, wish you could see the selling price. But it lists the features you can compare with your prospective purchase.

2022 Kountry Star 3412
Jeep Wrangler
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #8

We just sold our coach and got a good price for it. As mentioned, used motorhomes are on the increase in numbers, but coming down in price. From my experience, NADA lags behind in a changing market. Historically I have found them to be high when compared to the real market. In a declining market, your purchase will decline at the same rate after you buy it. Unless you plan to hit the road soon, you will probably save some money by waiting. Chances are after a month or two, the one you looked at will be available for $3-$5,000 less. However, if it sells before then, there is an increasing inventory of used ones to choose from. There is always another one waiting just for you.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

Good luck with your search. A good tool that you may already know about is the https://www.rvguide.com/ site. I cannot vouch for the accuracy but there is a lot of detail included.

The 31FS you are looking at is here: https://www.rvguide.com/specs/jayco/...hawk/31fs.html

- nice wheelbase/length ratio, 57

- supposed to have the 6 speed trans, but you need to check VIN as I think this was the introduction year
Old 10-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

"Wait awhile" is good financial advice but I would not advise waiting if this is the rig that is just right for you. You may look for a year to find another "perfect match". Getting the right rig is more important than saving a thousand or so.

Trouble is, 1st time buyers too often err in their selection priorities. Don't know how many RVs you have viewed or how well you have analyzed your wants & needs, but be careful about getting awestruck by one of the first few you view.

Focus on the big $ items and the risks, not the little deal sweeteners. Tires, batteries, potential leaks, a/c cold, generator produces power (more than just starts up), etc. A 6 year old coach with 9k miles surely has the original tires; they probably have only 1-2 years of useful life left, so figure that in your budget and pricing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 AM   #11

Thank you everyone for your very helpful insight! We came to agreement on a price( basically got it down more that equaled the cost of full set of tires. Now he said he wonít take it off market until after my private inspection which wouldnít be until the 20th. I understand their stance of being burned in the past, and even the inspector said sheís been running into this more and more but I told him that is a deal breaker for me and I wonít be pressured into not getting an inspection. I told him if thatís how he wants to do it I will wait until my inspection to hand over the deposit. If it sells, it wasnít meant to be.

He was also talking out of both sides of his mouth about how it is an as is unit, but they will make sure it is up and running during their dealer prep inspection and fix or replace anything they find.
DarthTater62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #12

Well I would certainly trust the RV dealer on their word that they will fix something after you bought it.

There are so many RV's on the market now you could throw a stone and find another one.

Think about this from the dealer's lens. They are sitting on a lot full of RV's that aren't only losing value by normal depreciation. They are also losing value because the market is getting as soft as a down pillow.

Interest rates are obviously heading up which drives RV prices down. Get on a cost calculator and play with the interest rates once and see the change in what a buyer can afford at 7% vs 12%.

Oh and fuel isn't heading to $2.00 - OPEC just said they are cutting production by 2 million barrels a day.

My advice is to relax and enjoy finding a tricked out rig at bottom barrel prices!!

You, sir, are in the drivers seat!!!!!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #13

"Sound financial advice" and "buy an RV" are not two phrases that should ever be used together.

If you think you got a good deal and the dealer thinks he got a good deal then everybody is happy. Win/win all around.

You'll find folks on here who claim you should get all kinds of different percentage discounts. Like most things on the internet, you can't believe it all.

Enjoy what you got and don't look back, it's probably too late to look back anyway.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the dealer says they will fix or add some items, make sure they are well specified in the contract. If it is not in writing and signed by an authorized agent, it will be forgotten.

I would also make the contract contingent on an independent professional inspection of your choice and cost.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice