Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #1

Advice on selling my RV

Hi Folks
I am in a dilemma and could use you RV’ers advise. I have to sell my 1996 24’ Class C. I listed it on craigslist for $11,500 and stated Cash or Bank Check. I have been inundated with replies and everyone is “very interested”
I have a LOT of interest (about 30 replies in less than 8 hrs) and was thinking about replying to 1st come 1st served but I do not want to deal with folks who may or may not show up and when they do show up want to low ball. I believe the RV is priced fairly, perhaps even too low by todays prices. I also don’t want to deal with a bunch of hagglers or someone says they need a couple days to get the money. Or/and I dont want to disappoint someone who really wants it but it is so far down the list.
So how to sell it? I am thinking about having an “open house” and let anyone who is interested come out and make an offer. This seem unconventional but I need to sell the RV and want to be fair to the many that expressed interest and I want to get a good price.
Any Ideas?
Rockyroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #2

The first caller to actually show up with cash gets it. You'll hold it for one day until he brings the cash. I don't see your dilemma.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:38 PM   #3

Hopefully you’ll quickly weed out the lookers from the serious buyers. You’ll probably only have a few. I had 30+ inquires within a few days but only a few true buyers. At your price, don’t waste time with any one inquiry. Just close the deal with cash. If it falls through, go to the next one.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 PM   #4

Thanks for replying Twogypies. You always have good Insight. The dilemma would be (as is typical response for anyone that has sold items to the public can attest) the 1st caller sets up the appt for 11am and then calls you at 12pm to let you know they are running late and will be the by 3pm. When they do show up they love the RV but then start picking it apart ie.. “well the tires are 5 years old and will need to be replaced soon” etc. so they make an offer of say 10,7k. Now I say “OK I understand your offer but I have other folks who may be willing to accept the RV as is for 11.5k” .. So I hold their offer and go to the next in line to see what they have to say. That is logical, but I really don’t want to deal with all that BS. I would rather just get all the folks interested in it into a room and hash it out. But not sure how to do that or if other folks have been in a similar situation and what did they do.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:07 AM   #5

Sorry, I sure wouldn't want to get a bunch of potential buyers in a room to hash it out. I've never heard of anyone doing that.

We've sold cars and when we get calls we just tell them we couldn't hold it until they get there. The first one that gets there and makes a reasonable offer gets it. Be prepared with a low price that you will accept. If they want lower just say "no" and hope the next person meets your price.

Selling is not fun and it's time-consuming. I wish you luck!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #6

Been on both sides of this. A motorhome takes a wider net to sell than a car. As a buyer, I would drive several hours to look at a coach that seemed promising. I would not do that if I wasn't seriously interested so as a seller, you have to appreciate that someone is already investing in your coach.
I would hold the coach until they get there and tell others that there is someone in line ahead of them.
If a person starts trying to beat you up on price before even seeing it, I don't even start to negotiate with them. I just say come with cash and then we will talk.
This winter, 5r's and motorhomes in our park are selling by word of mouth in about a day if reasonably priced.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #7

Priced fairly, will get that number or less, when finally agreed.
Start with a higher price, and you just might get the right buyer that wants it at that price. At worst, you will get a better price than if you start off lower. So, start high and you migh get high.
Although it does happen on real estate, you probably won't get a bidding war, if that's what you're looking to start by getting more than one buyer to see it at the same time. But, you never know?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM   #8

If you take a "bank check" please do yourself a favor and call the issuing bank at a number you looked up before you let the rig go. There are many, many scams on craigslist that use phony "bank checks".
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Considering the amount of interest I would make it a cash only deal and be clear to anyone coming to look at it that you are firm on the price due to the amount of interest. Having a group come at once would be a big mess in my opinion. If someone starts to negotiate stop them in their tracks and politely remind them that the asking price is non-negotiable. Should work out fine.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
If you take a "bank check" please do yourself a favor and call the issuing bank at a number you looked up before you let the rig go. There are many, many scams on craigslist that use phony "bank checks".
Yes. Definitely do this. I just sold a Class C site unseen. The guy drove from Ohio to NC. He paypaled me a $2000 gift and drove down the next day. No haggling. I did represent the motorhome thoroughly. Had 3 other people in line with cash in hand. He did have a certified check. I looked up the number online and called to verify.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #11

The RV is yours to sell so you can do things your way, but consider what your reaction would be to what you propose if you were looking to buy. I can tell you that I would not participate in an auction type of meeting as you seem to be suggesting. When I sold our class A, I advertised it and encouraged all who called to come and see it and did make appointments, but with any appointment the caller was made aware that if another buyer came before they arrived it would be for sale to the first person who came with the money in hand. If I were to take a deposit to hold it, I would only do so with the understanding that the minimum such deposit was to be $500 and the amount would be forfeited if they do not return with the remainder within 24 hours.

The buyer of our class A brought cash and paid in full at the time, but he was not the first to look nor the first to want it. He was the first to arrive with cash in hand and willing to pay nearly what we were asking. Most buyers do expect you to negotiate at least some on the price, so if you are unwilling to do that you should make the potential buyers aware of that.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #12

I agree with the cash only part espicially for that amount. I would also tell whoever is coming over first that there are others interested as well so the price is firm if that's what you think you should get for it. If they try to haggle just tell them you will call the next person and tell them they can come and look at it.
I've sold cars, side by sides and motorhomes, one guy brought me 25,000 in twenties one time, I didn't ask where he got them from. lol I won't hold anything for more then a day or so but try to go in the order of whoever contacted me first to be fair. Seems to work for me.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Completely agree on this one. In fact, if possible meet at the bank and ask them to confirm it's valid. Let them call for you.

Banks see fake Craig's list checks all the time so they will completely understand. The bank will be impressed you are one of the smarter one's.

A big scam is the "certified" check is made out for too much. They ask if you will just cut them a check back. Well if you are in good standing with your bank they will make funds available and show the check as cleared (this is when most people will cut a check back). When the receiving bank gets the check and discovers its a fraud, the scammer has your money. Your bank withdrawals the funds and you are stuck!!!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #14

Thank You!

Thank you all for your feedback. This is exactly what I needed to hear. You all have valid points to consider. You make me feel as though I am the King and I am pooling my round table of my trusted advisers (that’s you guys) to get their POV. After reading your recommendations I have decided I will NOT do the “open house” “free for all” event I thought would be a good idea. I have a week to sell the RV before I have to move, so Instead I will reach out to the folks who truly expressed a desire to own my RV, but I will be firm and let them know that I have LOTS of interest and the price is firm, and I will only accept cash.

One thing I will regret is that once I sell my RV I will exit this forum. I have been a member for 8yrs and have learned so much about RVing and the RV lifestyle for all of you kind folks. I can’t thank you enough for all the support you have given me through the years. God Bless to all of you and may you always drive with a tail wind! and HAPPY TRAILS at least for now...

Tags
sell, advice