Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Advice on unit to buy for solo traveler

I am hoping you all can give me some practical advice. I have done quite a bit of glamping with my friend in his diesel pusher and love it. I am thinking about getting my own rig. I am a reasonably fit 67 yo women with reasonable mechanical understanding. I have kids in Maine and in Arizona and was thinking my own rig would be perfect to winter in Arizona and summer in Maine. The big but is aside from traveling single is of course money. Does it make more sense to buy a class C, an old class A gas, a truck and fifth wheel or pull behind? Lots of pros and cons each way. My budget is around 30k. My personal vehicle is not towable. So if I get a motorhome, I am not going to have a toad. Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #2

One thought would be to purchase a dolly which would let you pull your current car.
As a newbie myself, I took the advice on this forum to look for the floor plan you love. We did that and are very happy with our choice. Being comfortable in your surroundings is important.
As a 65 yo woman I enjoy driving our 34’ Class A. But, DH and I have discovered we do need a toad. Just think about how you will use your RV.
Happy Trails.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We too looked at all options and first bought a 28' class c which was a little small for both of us but we could of made it work. Instead we sold it and bought a used class a gas from an original owner and saved a ton of money over buying new, there will be maintainence to be done but this forum can help with a lot of that. Being a single person I would at least drive and look at a class c because I think they are easier to maneuver. Good luck.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Cathy,

I suggest you look at RV.org. With what you stated so far, I would look at a Diesel powered Class B.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cathy,

Check out PPL Motorhomes out of Texas. If you plan to drive back and forth from Maine to Arizona each year and live in this rig full time you probably need a DP, not a gasser.

PPL shows floor plans and it will allow you to look at used rigs and see if anything interests you. Keep in mind that you will need plenty of storage for the things you cannot get rid of. Look around the rigs you see and start to imagine what you can put here and what there so you can visualize how much room you need.

Make a list of things you are planning to take with you. When you look at a rig, sit on the couch, lay on the bed, go inside the shower and raise your arms like you are washing your hair and see if you can do so. If you are stuck inside for a few days due to weather, will you be comfortable inside. Just sit there a while and ditch the salesman.

When you buy, from whomever you buy from, make them show you that everything is working. Including water and plumbing. Electrical! No leaks in the roof. See stained ceilings, run away!

Come back and ask questions often. People will help. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all good advice so far. A bit of clarification, I will not be living in this full time. Maybe 2 months at a time. But I will drive to Maine and Arizona.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #7

I would suggest an older class C gas and a moped for a toad if you are up to it. Your best bet would be to make a list of what is important to you, like generator for boondocking, washer/dryer, sleeps 4? Bigger is not always better when it comes to part time RV'ing and enjoying the outdoors.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #8

Class C gas big enough to have a bed and couch. That lets you sit and socialize or watch TV in comfort. Front bunk becomes the attic. Dolly tow car or use something else to do grocery and sight seeing runs. Cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than an A. Forget about diesel. You spend more to get it then spend more to maintain it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A agree on a Class C with a lift holding a scooter/moped that's allowed on roads. Being a woman, I would prefer a motorized RV for safety. This way, if I spent a night in a WalMart, rest area or truck stop, I wouldn't have to exit a truck to get into a TT or 5-r. I could just pull in, lock the entry door, drop the shades & get some zzzz's for the night. Then venture out to the WM store or truck stop store, when it's daylight, if I want some supplies/eats.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have always traveled alone with my dog.

Had two TTs. Then a class A gasser (best floor plan but too big and costly). Now on my second and last Class C.

We each realize with time what our must haves are. I have found my must haves and they are; a walk in shower, a 60x80 queen bed I can easily get around one side of, counter space around the sink for food prep, three doors to get in & out of and last, a Chevy based unit for a better ride plus better road manners.

For one person a class C is really all you need. They are cheap to maintain and you really do not have to get out of it unless you want to when parked for the night. It should have 5000lb tow capacity because it is nice to have something to explore in that is fuel efficient.

Just things to consider….
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks all for replies so far. Given me more things to think about. What are pros cons class C vs pick up and 5 er or TT? If I had a pull behind would solve toad issue, and should be able I think with judicious shopping to find good used units for my 30k budget. I am very familiar with hitching up TT and think I could do this, not familiar at all with how fifth wheel hitch works. Which is easier? I have towed large boats and TT in past but never a fifth wheel. I am told they tow much better. Is this a consideration??
Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #12

Safari Trek. The older models 24' to 28', no slide, huge rear bath, drop-down bed.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In all my years of RV'ing there are two types I've never owned: a popup and 5th wheel. Didn't want to wrestle with wet canvas nor have to drive a large pu as my daily driver. A new '88 type B MH was OK for the late DW and I for vacation use when we were younger. Then we got two dogs and needed more space so traded for a new Type C in '97. Towed a '95 Honda Ody on a dolly with no problems. Over the years we went up till we got the 45' rig I now have. With wife dying it's larger than the 6 cats and I need now. But, at 71, I'm going to live with what I have.
Anyway, it sounds like a Type C MH towing a small car would work for you.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
Thanks for all good advice so far. A bit of clarification, I will not be living in this full time. Maybe 2 months at a time. But I will drive to Maine and Arizona.

Are you thinking you will take a month getting back and forth, or are you going to do some camping other than the trip twice a year back and forth? Will you live in houses while in Maine and AZ? If all you need is camping transport back and forth, even if taking a month each way, I would see if you could be happy with a B. So much easier to drive and it can serve as your toad too.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, solo, travel